Hawaiian rules & regs?
22416 13 2016-11-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
sshorty
lvl.2

Australia

Hi all,
Heading to Hawaii in January next year for a short trip, I am from Australia.
Is anyone able to point me in the direction of the laws around drones in Hawaii?
Is it even worth taking over?
If so, can anyone recommend any good places to take some aerials from? I have seen a few short clips - they look magnificant.

Appreciate the help!
2016-11-25
Use props
fans7478c688
lvl.1

United States

There are a lot of airports and/or military bases in Hawaii that you cannot fly near. To help you get an idea of exactly where you can and cannot fly, go to   https://hivemapper.com/37.77689/-122.41687/zoom15  
copy and paste that link it helps a lot. Anywhere that has that shaded crisscross pattern on the map is area that is restricted from flying drones. trust me that website will definitely keep you out of trouble. Enjoy your trip bud!
2016-11-25
Use props
DRONE-flies-YOU
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1450594 ft
United States

It is the United States, so THIS summarizes the regs.

Line of Sight is VERY important in Hawaii, so no Litchi waypoint missions or you will probably get caught.  And yes, there's a record amount of airports/bases/heliports on Oahu so keep it close to you.  All the best shots are closer to the ground anyway.

Definitely bring your drone, dude.  That's why you got it!  It's a DJI Phantom, so it meets the requirements for foreign-registered.  
2016-11-25
Use props
sshorty
lvl.2

Australia

fans7478c688 Posted at 2016-11-26 15:39
There are a lot of airports and/or military bases in Hawaii that you cannot fly near. To help you ge ...

Very helpful map, thank you!
Do they have this in an iOS app do you know? Here is Australia, we have an app that uses your iPhone location to advise where you can/cannot fly on a map, and its extremely helpful.

Is there rules around flying near people?
I see on the map Waikiki beach (some of it) is a no fly zone, however, the no fly does not seem to cover the water, does this mean that you could start flying down the beach a little more (where it is ok to fly) and flying it out and look back at Waikiki beach (as long as it is in line of sight?)

Sorry for all the q's just trying to ensure that I do not fly anywhere that will land me in any trouble.

Cheers!
2016-11-25
Use props
fans7478c688
lvl.1

United States

sshorty Posted at 2016-11-26 14:12
Do they have this in an iOS app do you know? Here is Australia, we ha ...

Ya dude first of all, like he said, DEFINITELY bring your drone. Hawaii is probably the best place to take it. And Im honestly not sure about flying in any part of the no fly zone HOWEVER, I do know that if you were to go to a national park (where drones are not allowed) and you took off outside of the park but flew over the park where it is technically restricted, you wouldn't get in trouble because you took off outside of the park and that is perfectly legal. So going back to your question, my guess would be that you are allowed to fly over a restricted area as long as you take off well outside of the restricted area. But don't take my word for it, google it and get some solid information.
2016-11-25
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

sshorty Posted at 2016-11-25 20:12
Do they have this in an iOS app do you know? Here is Australia, we ha ...

Aloha shorty,

Yes, be prepared to register as a foreign drone with the FAA.  Probably a good idea to do that prior to arrival.  The Internet is nice that way.  Waikiki is the worst place to fly since there are so many people and flying around people is not a good idea over here in the US (along with the other warnings).  Your plan to launch from a "OK to Fly" area and get over the water will still get you limited footage.  You could fly in New York in the summer time and get the same footage (buildings everywhere).  Here in Hawai'i the vegetation and geography are the attractions.  Best thing is to get outta town.  Rent a car and see the island - from the air!  A lot cheaper than renting a chopper.

The FAA has the B4 U Fly app that can help.  It works on iOS devices.  The west side of the island has the most sun and the most theft, so be careful.  Leave nothing of value exposed in the car and lock the car.  So many people forget!  Trunks are great because they do not have windows.

The North Shore of all the islands will have surf - really big surf - in January but it is not guaranteed.  As long as there is not a restriction on a contest, most NS beaches will get you great footage.  The Windward side is green and often cloudy and rainy in January, but when the sun is out, it is beautiful.  But, do not fly if the wind is 15 mph or more unless you have high wind experience.

There is much, much more and there are 6 major islands, each with serious attractions best seen from the air.  Give us more information and we can give you more information.

Aloha and Drone On!
2016-11-26
Use props
sshorty
lvl.2

Australia

Cetacean Posted at 2016-11-26 23:38
Aloha shorty,

Yes, be prepared to register as a foreign drone with the FAA.  Probably a good ...

Aloha, and much appreciated Cetacean!

We are in Hawaii for 8 nights, late Jan/early Feb.
We are staying only in Waikiki, however, we do plan on hiring a car, and exploring the island.
I have heard Pipeline should be great surf, so that may possibly be an area I head to with the drone.
Are you able to recommend any other destinations that I should head to, to both explore and use the drone?
So Waikiki beach area is out of the question by the sound of it?
I am assuming that around Diamond Head is also out of the picture?
Never been to the States before, very much looking forward to the short break.

Once again, much appreciated.
2016-11-26
Use props
ricphoto
lvl.2

United States

sshorty Posted at 2016-11-27 06:29
Aloha, and much appreciated Cetacean!

We are in Hawaii for 8 nights, late Jan/early Feb.

If there's any way you can fit in a few days on the Big Island do it!!! Much more diverse and open...
2016-11-26
Use props
robble
lvl.2

United States

You are not allowed to take off or land from the beach. Over beach is ok as long as no crowds below.  Open water is ok.  No flights in most state/city parks. A very small few are actually allowed although the most popular spot is right on the beach with very strong winds.  P4 should handle no problem most days.  Large Class B airspace around Honolulu international airport.  A few military runways probably a nono around them.  Several small civilian runways/helipads - ok but supposed to let them know about your flight plans.

Surf contests - gray area.  There will be signs saying no drone flying but the legality of the restrictions hasn't been tested in court yet.  Not much they can do other than tell you to leave but then again if you don't, there isn't anything they can do except get mad - UNLESS you are flying for money.  Then you have to get a permit from the Hawaii film industry.

http://www.hawaiidroneclub.org/local-drone-regulation.html
2016-11-26
Use props
fans4e93ccd9
lvl.3
Flight distance : 28612 ft

United States

i took it to maui last week...didnt register anywhere..i flew all over even in front of police except near aiports on national parks and nothing happened...love hawaii
2016-11-26
Use props
fans7478c688
lvl.1

United States

I was there last new years with my Phantom 3 Pro and literally flew it everywhere. The North Shore is definitely a good spot especially that time of year cuz of the fat waves and I flew it at Waikiki as well with no issues. Definitely use that website i showed you ( www.hivemapper.com ) but also use your best judgment. Don't fly directly over the very center of Waikiki beach maybe fly a little on either side where there are less people and over the water is no problem. You should have no issues if you use your common sense dude honestly.
2016-11-26
Use props
sshorty
lvl.2

Australia

What are regulations around whales? I hear I should be in Hawaii for peak whale season, and whales have always been on the bucket list to take aerials of
2016-12-15
Use props
AnchorageAk
lvl.2
Flight distance : 85505 ft
United States

Waikiki. Only been there once will never go back. If you can, go to one of the other islands. Less crime, drugs, and people who are friendly. Don't base your option of the Islands on that place.
2016-12-15
Use props
djiuser_kMZ6WZZ
lvl.1
United States

fans7478c688 Posted at 2016-11-25 23:28
Ya dude first of all, like he said, DEFINITELY bring your drone. Hawaii is probably the best place to take it. And Im honestly not sure about flying in any part of the no fly zone HOWEVER, I do know that if you were to go to a national park (where drones are not allowed) and you took off outside of the park but flew over the park where it is technically restricted, you wouldn't get in trouble because you took off outside of the park and that is perfectly legal. So going back to your question, my guess would be that you are allowed to fly over a restricted area as long as you take off well outside of the restricted area. But don't take my word for it, google it and get some solid information.

Man, you are SOOOO Wrong.  The restriction is on where you fly, not where you took off from.
2018-1-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules