2417 18 2016-11-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Aardvark
Second Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

The CAA have introduced a new initiative in the UK aimed at Drone safety, if you live in UK this is worth a read:-

https://www.caa.co.uk/News/Drone ... -by-new-initiative/

And it's good to see their encouragement of responsible drone use with a photo competition:-

https://wyng.com/commerce/gallery/24451
2016-11-26
Use props
MD_Icarus
lvl.4
United States

Much better than Sweden.  Maybe the Swedes can use this as their basis to fight form Drone Freedom?  

(My rationale is because Britain is close the Sweden).
2016-11-26
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

MD_Icarus Posted at 2016-11-26 14:20
Much better than Sweden.  Maybe the Swedes can use this as their basis to fight form Drone Freedom?  ...

Maybe not a bad idea, but generally much the same as the FAA guidelines. What I find interesting is that the rational seems based on use your common sense. No mention made of airspace away from the immediate vicinity of airports etc. It would seem to suggest that for non commercial use that many places would be open to flying as long as you stick to the rules.
2016-11-26
Use props
MD_Icarus
lvl.4
United States

Here in the USA the states, counties and most local towns take the easy "stupid" route "We are not sure; this is too new to us; our voters are scared by drones; so we will ban them from our parks"

So flying camera flyers need to be stealthy now.
2016-11-26
Use props
Matt-and-Riley
lvl.4
Flight distance : 324442 ft
United Kingdom

Argos selling Phantom 3 Standard for £399 , when you look at the page it say Sold 100 in last 24 hours

Interesting Visit England are sponsoring the competition, with National Trust, English Heritage etc banning drones there's not much left of interest to photograph. But Visit England could encourage these people to overturn their bans in favour of lots of nice photos and vids going online = more visitors to your 500 year old lump of stone.

2016-11-26
Use props
Nigel_
lvl.4
Flight distance : 388642 ft
United Kingdom

Matt-and-Riley Posted at 2016-11-26 22:23
Argos selling Phantom 3 Standard for £399 , when you look at the page it say Sold 100 in last 24 ho ...

The new code doesn't say that you need landowners permission to fly in the sky, so the National Trust etc can't ban flying over their land?     Of course you have to wait until there are no crowds about, which on many NT properties will be after dark at this time of year, but it doesn't say anything about flying at night either.

Presumably it can be treated in the same way as our Highway Code - as long as you follow it then you don't need to worry about the exact meaning of what might be written in law...

2016-11-26
Use props
Matt-and-Riley
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Nigel_ Posted at 2016-11-26 22:58
The new code doesn't say that you need landowners permission to fly in the sky, so the National Tr ...

Printed my copy and going out next week for my first night flight, nice long litchi mission.

I quite like this drone code now

Where'd half my post go???
2016-11-27
Use props
C.Birch
lvl.2
Flight distance : 56365 ft
United Kingdom

Matt-and-Riley Posted at 2016-11-26 22:23
Argos selling Phantom 3 Standard for £399 , when you look at the page it say Sold 100 in last 24 ho ...

I went to Derwent Dam at easter to do some filming of the dam, i made sure to take off and land well away from any people and kept a safe height and also had two people with me who were also acting as spotters.

I was able to get my filming done and no around seemed to care, but then one the park people come along and was very rude saying they don't want drones or soon they have drone wars in the sky. Would not have minded if they had come across and just asked if i mind not taking off again (had already landed) but to just be rude, when what i was doing was likely helping highlight some the great sights we have in our own backyards was not called for.

It's a shame so many are scared and i think more needs to be done, to learn people that don't fly drones about them, it's not like a RC Plane and many don't seem to understand they are far more safe then RC Planes and long as they being controlled in a safe manner its very unlikely to crash one.
2016-11-27
Use props
Matt-and-Riley
lvl.4
United Kingdom

C.Birch Posted at 2016-11-27 21:48
I went to Derwent Dam at easter to do some filming of the dam, i made sure to take off and land we ...

That's what annoys me, even when we are trying to be good there's always one nark on the prowl. I tend to do the hit and run now. I'm not good with confrontation, usually ends with the words FU!

I haven't tried them yet, but I do have a collection of hi-viz jackets with various logos on them, National Trust, DEFRA, local council etc. They're only £4.50 printed with what ever art you send them.

If your hi-viz is brighter than his then you win - lol
2016-11-27
Use props
DrawsWithLight.
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2136716 ft
United Kingdom

Matt-and-Riley Posted at 2016-11-27 22:26
That's what annoys me, even when we are trying to be good there's always one nark on the prowl. I  ...

Do you have a link to the hi-vis printing company? I was thinking of getting something printed on one when I get my CAA permissions.
2016-11-28
Use props
DrawsWithLight.
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Nigel_ Posted at 2016-11-26 22:58
The new code doesn't say that you need landowners permission to fly in the sky, so the National Tr ...

As far as I am aware,nobody controls the airspace above their land/property. I understand that if you take off from public land then fly over National Trust property there is nothing they can do about it.
2016-11-28
Use props
Matt-and-Riley
lvl.4
United Kingdom

DrawsWithLight. Posted at 2016-11-28 14:02
Do you have a link to the hi-vis printing company? I was thinking of getting something printed on  ...

Here's the ones I got, but it's unavailable now, some others listed below it. It's just a thin vest to go over your jacket. They have some pink ones as well lol

They won't give you permission without one

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/prod ... e?ie=UTF8&psc=1
2016-11-28
Use props
DrawsWithLight.
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Matt-and-Riley Posted at 2016-11-28 14:21
Here's the ones I got, but it's unavailable now, some others listed below it. It's just a thin ves ...

Cheers, I see a black hi-vis vest! might get that one!
2016-11-28
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DrawsWithLight. Posted at 2016-11-28 15:31
Cheers, I see a black hi-vis vest! might get that one!

"I see a black hi-vis vest! might get that one!"

Surely that would be a Lo-Viz ?
2016-11-28
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

Aardvark Posted at 2016-11-29 08:26

It is an industrial version of The Cloak Of Invisibility...
2016-11-28
Use props
DrawsWithLight.
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Aardvark Posted at 2016-11-28 21:26

If you worked in a hi-viz vest manufacturing factory which produces yellow hi-viz vests, wearing a black hi-vis vest would probably be a good idea?!
2016-11-30
Use props
Beefy
lvl.1
United Kingdom

DrawsWithLight. Posted at 2016-11-30 08:47
If you worked in a hi-viz vest manufacturing factory which produces yellow hi-viz vests, wearing a ...

Indeed, stand out from the crowd. In a vaguely related topic as a motorcyclist I'm disappointed by DRLs, they've made motorbikes 'disappear' amongst traffic, but I'm not sure disconnecting my headlight will help!
2016-11-30
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

'Stealth Drone Pilot' mode
2016-11-30
Use props
Jon Dow
lvl.2
  • >>>
United Kingdom

MD_Icarus Posted at 2016-11-26 15:03
Here in the USA the states, counties and most local towns take the easy "stupid" route "We are not sure; this is too new to us; our voters are scared by drones; so we will ban them from our parks"

So flying camera flyers need to be stealthy now.

Many people seem to put up videos online of encounters with park rangers who state it is not allowed but cannot provide a shred of information as to why. So why don't these operators simply go away from the actual park groun ds, then fly over it as intended?  There's no consistency and it all comes down to idiot rangers thinking they are above the law.
2016-12-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules