Switch 1, Position 3: ATTI, Failsafe or Manual
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
MilspecJSC
lvl.2

United States

I'd like to get some insight on how the community has setup switch 1/position 3 (ATTI/Failsafe/Manual) in NAZA-M mode. Right now, I have mine configured as ATTI but I'm considering Failsafe. I'm not an advanced pilot yet so Manual is not an option for me. I'd like your feedback and any rationalle you care to share.
2015-2-9
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

I have mine on failsafe.  It gives me another option of recovery.
2015-2-9
Use props
rod
Second Officer

New Zealand

S1 pos3=failsafe for me.
Cheers!
Rod
2015-2-9
Use props
PhantomHelp
lvl.3

United States

In Naza-M Mode, S1 position 1 is always GPS. S1 position 2 is always ATTI. S1 position 3 can be either Failsafe or Manual. Unless you have a really good reason to be flying manual, you probably want to choose Failsafe.
2015-2-9
Use props
MilspecJSC
lvl.2

United States

Perfect! The three I had hoped to reply, did. Thanks for your advice. Failsafe it is.
2015-2-9
Use props
blasco403
lvl.1
Canada

I have mine set at Atti for position 3... When I used the NAZA Flight controller on a home built quad, I had it set for failsafe but also changed to Atti for the same reason as below. I programmed a different switch on my futaba transmitter for failsafe - but this is not an option for the stock phantom trans.

I did this so that in an emergency, like GPS issues and phantom wanting to fly away, or having to switch to Atti mode when using ground station to take back control. If it does go from position 1 to position 3 insteasd of position 2, it does not automatically start the RTH function.

I would just shut off my transmitter if I needed failsafe....

Just my 2 cents - since when an emergency happens and you need atti mode, i like the fact that both position 2 and 3 are ATTi.
2015-2-9
Use props
Jamie Hellmich
lvl.4

United States

Position 3 set for manual.
2015-2-9
Use props
Swerve
lvl.3

United Kingdom

Failsafe for me
2015-2-9
Use props
kleake.rapfire
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1361040 ft
United States

Position 3 is manual for me.  I can get failsafe by turning off the remote.  I feel better knowing I can fly manual if I need to.  And yes, I have practiced a little bit starting at about 200 ft up.  It's definitely scary and things happen fast, but while practicing, if you get out of control you can turn it back to GPS and it will recover (At least it has for me, and it is impressive how quickly it does).  I want to get good enough in manual that I can fly it if I want/need to.

That being said, I used it the other day.  Was flying at 400ft, had went for a distance out and was on the way back when I realized I was at 20% battery.  I know I would be cutting it EXTREMELY close, so I started descending.  Well, it was only coming down at 4mph......  I'm not so sure I can get down before I run out of battery, so I switch to atti,,,,,, still 4mph........  Not looking good and I'm starting to worry (I was over trees, but still).  I switch to manual, drop throttle and I am now descending at 20mph!!!!  MUCH faster than I intended, but once I was at 200ft I switched back to GPS and landed with 8% battery.  Yes I should have been keeping a closer eye on my battery level, but I was caught up in what I was videoing and lost track of how long I had been there.  Anyway,,,, not the recommended method of descent, but in an emergency, I would rather lose some altitude quickly while I am still way up there instead of a battery shutting down at 100ft!
2015-2-9
Use props
MilspecJSC
lvl.2

United States

You make a good point, Kleake, regarding taking full control not only of your descent but to know if all goes south you can still fly the bird. Once I feel more comfortable with my flying skills I will definitely move over to Manual. Thanks for sharing your experience.
2015-2-9
Use props
gerd.kockerbeck
lvl.1

Germany

Failsafe for me too
2015-2-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules