Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
ADDED NEW LANDING GEAR
7952 26 2014-10-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
hd_ultra
lvl.4

United States

ADDED, New landing gear as a option. When landing with the original gear the camera sometimes gets hit by the grass. This gear raises the phantom up by 1 1/2 inch.

The camera in now 2" off the ground. And the stance is wider.
It only takes a couple of minutes to chang them out.
We all know that the original set up is to close to the ground if you are flying and landing in grass.

Or keep the original setup and hand land the aircraft.
I think DJI should change this on the next model release. To advoid some of these camera issues.

See PICS

Phantom Legs-2.jpg
Phantom Legs-3.jpg
Phantom Legs.jpg
2014-10-3
Use props
T J Gilbert
Second Officer
Flight distance : 74659 ft
United States

I guess it won't go in your case anymore... ?
2014-10-3
Use props
hd_ultra
lvl.4

United States

T J Gilbert Posted at 2014-10-4 01:25
I guess it won't go in your case anymore... ?

Yes you are right, a deeper case is now needed lol.  
But knowing that I'm going to take off and land in deep grass, I'll just switch them out as needed.
For traveling I guess to save a few hundred bucks I'll just put on the original landing gear. And carry the longer gear in the case as if needed. It only takes about 2 to 3 minutes for the change out.
2014-10-3
Use props
T J Gilbert
Second Officer
Flight distance : 74659 ft
United States

Not promoting it, but have you tried catch landings?
2014-10-3
Use props
hd_ultra
lvl.4

United States

T J Gilbert Posted at 2014-10-4 01:43
Not promoting it, but have you tried catch landings?

Yes I have done that a few times when the wind was a little strong.
2014-10-3
Use props
FromAdronesEye
Second Officer
Flight distance : 93146 ft
Dominican Republic

Nice! where you bought them? can you give the link! thanks!
2014-10-3
Use props
hd_ultra
lvl.4

United States

FromAdronesEye Posted at 2014-10-4 08:45
Nice! where you bought them? can you give the link! thanks!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product ... 0?ie=UTF8&psc=1
2014-10-3
Use props
Tony
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2856060 ft
  • >>>
United States

Yeah, they look great and landing in grass would be nice. But I really like my case! Haha
And you mentioned replacing them, on and off, as needed. Doesn't the GPS module require special placement and adjustment whenever you switch them out? Or is this easier than it sounds?
2014-10-3
Use props
hd_ultra
lvl.4

United States

The only thing that needs to be taken off is the compass. GPS is in the top shell top shell of the Phantom. 12 screws total in switching them out.
I took the extra tape from the tool kit and used it on the new landing gear. The tape is reusable. I don't think there is any need to adjust anything. All I need to do is remove the compass and legs and install the new ones. And just put the compass back in the same location as the original.  Easy to do and it is quick.
2014-10-4
Use props
gil
Captain
Flight distance : 1379308 ft
United States

The same can't be said for the Phantom 2 with zenmuse H3-3D gimbal.  It has an additional CAN-Bus connector on one of the other legs.  The cable connector is not long enough to reach the lower part of the extended legs and so the U shaped mounts that normally fit around the stock legs will not fit around the fatter part of the extended legs unless there is some modification.  What I did in this case was use just one of the U mounts where it did fit.  Alternatively I could just remove the CAN-Bus from the connector and tape up the cable.  However, at some point I am going to add an FPV kit which will put me back at the same problem with the CAN-Bus.

Another problem that Tony already mentioned is that you can't get the extended legs into most cases.  I think I've figured out an alternative solution to all three problems but I'm awaiting delivery... (actually I'm awaiting their fabrication).  I saw these snap on leg extenders on Shapeways that will allow me to keep using the stock legs so I won't have to remount the compass and CAN-Bus and they will raise the Phantom up enough to keep the camera out of the grass.  This will also allow me to fit the Phantoms into most cases by simply snapping off the extenders when I'm ready to pack them away.  And since I have four different Phantoms I'm hoping the extenders will fit all the different models of legs.  I'll post some photos when they arrive.
Phantom Leg with CAN-Bus.gif
2014-11-19
Use props
Cloud9
New
United States

gil@wk.net Posted at 2014-11-20 02:46
The same can't be said for the Phantom 2 with zenmuse H3-3D gimbal.  It has an additional CAN-Bus co ...

I put my canbus connecter inside the shell. Makes for a cleaner install for the IOSD/FPV cables.
I might try the extended landing gear, my H3-3D hates grass!
2014-11-19
Use props
gil
Captain
United States

Something else I've started doing is carrying a 5 gallon bucket with lid.  I can pack extra stuff, use it for take offs to keep the Phantoms out of the grass and dirt, and lastly I can sit my lazy butt down!
2014-11-19
Use props
mixstreme
lvl.4

United Kingdom

gil@wk.net Posted at 2014-11-20 06:06
Something else I've started doing is carrying a 5 gallon bucket with lid.  I can pack extra stuff, u ...

I attatched the poles on the bottom of the legs to give more stability on sand and uneven ground.
Works a treat and being only velcro holding them on, its easy to remove if need be.

IMG_20141120_050226.jpg
2014-11-19
Use props
dfeakins
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Hand landings I'd say!

David
www.rcgeeks.co.uk
2014-11-20
Use props
talk2t_c
Second Officer

France

Like the style, but the hand catch seems to impress the people who gather around.  
2014-11-20
Use props
rdelrosario
lvl.1

Puerto Rico

gil@wk.net Posted at 2014-11-20 02:46
The same can't be said for the Phantom 2 with zenmuse H3-3D gimbal.  It has an additional CAN-Bus co ...

Nice option,
Where I can get them?
2014-11-20
Use props
Jstic
lvl.1

United States

talk2t_c Posted at 2014-11-20 19:19
Like the style, but the hand catch seems to impress the people who gather around.

I went to an AMA sanctioned event a couple weeks ago and there was a guy there hand catching his Phantom. The AMA people threw him out and told him to learn how to land it properly before coming back.
2014-11-20
Use props
away-point
lvl.4

United States

Hand launch and retrieve is a must in some cases (boating, etc).  Care is needed, but can be done with reasonable safety.
2014-11-20
Use props
mixstreme
lvl.4

United Kingdom

Jstic Posted at 2014-11-20 22:11
I went to an AMA sanctioned event a couple weeks ago and there was a guy there hand catching his P ...

Technically it is classed as dangerous due to the point of catch and not having full control.
Hand catching is a gimbal protection feature for many, in the eyes of professional association's its a risk to yourself and others around you.
2014-11-20
Use props
insitb
lvl.4

Singapore

Proper landings are not hard. Provided your copter doesn't get bumped by a random gust just as you touch down. These random gusts are gimbal-busters, best avoided by hand-catching.

The AMA people still have their mind-set on no-camera UVA's. They're by-the-book old-schoolers. Pilots, certainly the ones flying off-the-beaten-track, need to protect their gimbal and camera by knowing how to hand-catch.

I can land my copter, but when I'm shooting a padi field, rock-strewn island or dust-bowl, I'd be mad to try and land the thing.

That said, you obviously cannot be cavalier about hand-catching, because it does require great care, always.
2014-11-20
Use props
gil
Captain
United States

rdelrosario Posted at 2014-11-20 19:51
Nice option,
Where I can get them?

You're asking about the snap on leg extenders?  shapeways.com -- dji-phantom-click-on-leg-extender-straight

(it seems the shapeways website is currently down so that link may not work)
2014-11-20
Use props
bahamasboy
Second Officer
Flight distance : 13845 ft
United States

I was under the impression that all these "Wide" gear were incompatible with the V2+.   Apparently the mounting is the same for all Phantoms -yes???   If so, I'm off to Amazon as I mostly have tall grass and dirt to launch and land.
2014-11-30
Use props
hd_ultra
lvl.4

United States

As long as it is the phantom landing gear. Should be ok.
2014-12-25
Use props
Gerry1124
Captain

United States

I just have a 2 foot square plywood board for taller grass.
2014-12-25
Use props
guymacdonald
Second Officer

Australia

My two bob's worth

http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?m ... amp;page=1#pid18219

Regards

Guy MacDonald
2014-12-25
Use props
markus
Second Officer

Germany

Hi there,

well, I bought that exact tall and wide landing gear too. Looks really good. Until I had a rather soft crash on GRASS from about 1,5 meters height. The Landing gear snappedin many places like a little twig. This caused the gimbal to hit the ground and broke too. My suggestion: either change that gear again or make sure your quad does NOT come down hard!!!
2014-12-26
Use props
markus
Second Officer

Germany

gil@wk.net Posted at 2014-11-20 06:06
Something else I've started doing is carrying a 5 gallon bucket with lid.  I can pack extra stuff, u ...

I bought a very cool rucksack for the P2 (fits good with the tall and wide landing gear too). I can imagine it's difficult to hike to your take off point (if far away) with a bucket in ur hand. Do check out this "camera" bag, might be woth it for you, even though you can't sit on it ;-)

Vanguard UP-Rise II 48
2014-12-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules