Exploring Cow Tower
4289 31 2016-11-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Mikedefieslife
lvl.3
Flight distance : 6627 ft
United Kingdom

Had a bit of play the other day near an old 14th century tower. It was starting to get dark and the batteries were running low so I didn't stay out long, but happy enough with the footage for a quick unplanned shoot.

Notice how the Mavic stops when tracking me a end there. It was very close to the branches of the trees and seems to have been working out weather or not it should take avoiding action.

2016-11-27
Use props
Warrior200
lvl.3

United Kingdom

It looked cold and windy great video can't wait to get mine.
2016-11-27
Use props
Mikedefieslife
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Yeah though I was sheltered a bit from the wind. Should be dry with plenty of sunny intervals this coming week, so I'm going to try and get some footage out on the bike.

Settings were Art -1,-1,0 coloured and sharpened in post.
2016-11-27
Use props
Warrior200
lvl.3

United Kingdom

It did well to pickup the branches with its sensors. Have you had any problems and how many satellites are you picking up ?.
2016-11-27
Use props
ReinertA
lvl.2
Flight distance : 134026 ft
United States

Nicely done!
2016-11-27
Use props
lignow
lvl.4
Canada

Nice Video. I see these videos and I google them to find out more. 1398 wow.
2016-11-27
Use props
Gray Volk
lvl.2
United States

any problems with thermals?
2016-11-27
Use props
Mikedefieslife
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Gray Volk Posted at 2016-11-28 07:34
any problems with thermals?

Haha, are you winding me up?

Yeah it was just 20 meters in the air the thermals come and whooshed it away. I thought I had a fly away on my hands, but thanks to watuse and his informative videos I realised what was going on and managed to save it.
2016-11-28
Use props
Matt-and-Riley
lvl.4
Flight distance : 324442 ft
United Kingdom

Hi there, I'm just down the road with a Phantom 3 , used to walk my dog around there

Nice video, quite brave with all those trees.

You may want to be a little careful flying in the city, they may think you're dropping drugs off to the prison just down the road.

2016-11-28
Use props
Mikedefieslife
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Yes there is a no-fly zone around the prison on the DJI map but I was far away enough for it not to kick in. Similar over Mousehold heath too.

I had it in tripod mode for the approach to the tower so wasn't concerned about the trees. I was a little more anxious during the active phase though. It was very close to the branches.

Give me a shout if you want to check out/fly the Mavic in person.
2016-11-28
Use props
DaveAus
lvl.2
Flight distance : 100807 ft
Australia

Ha ha when i first glanced at the title i thought it said "Exploding" he he

Nice Video!
2016-11-28
Use props
rodger
First Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

Very nice with excellent video by the little guy.
2016-11-29
Use props
fans95d998e0
lvl.2
Flight distance : 136230 ft
  • >>>
United States

Go Tripod Mode!  Great start of a short film here - nice work!
2016-11-29
Use props
CaliforniaAirbo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1174232 ft
United States

Great video. What software do you use for editing and sound work?
2016-11-29
Use props
Black Dogg
New

United Kingdom

I've just got my first drone last night - Phantom 3 Advanced.  (Not flown it yet)

I'm out near Coltishall but often in the city - perhaps we should start up a Norwich area user group?  I could do with as much advice from experienced pilots as I can!  Not even sure whether to install the latest firmware updates later today or not...
2016-11-30
Use props
Mikedefieslife
lvl.3
United Kingdom

I'm not an experienced pilot by any means. I used to own a Hexo+ prior to this but it was big and bulky and only used it three times. The Mavic is a dream to fly, easy and customisable. Love tripod mode.

I edit in FCPX on a mac just because that's what i'm familiar with. I used Color Finale for colour grading, and the Music was purchased online (link in the video), for around £6.

As for a Norwich group. I think there is a guy on the Mavic UK Facebook group based around the Norwich area too.
2016-11-30
Use props
Matt-and-Riley
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Mikedefieslife Posted at 2016-11-28 13:41
Yes there is a no-fly zone around the prison on the DJI map but I was far away enough for it not to  ...

Thanks, it would be good to see it. Also know someone local with an Inspire who wants to meet up so maybe a little flying with all 3. I'll keep in touch about it.
2016-12-1
Use props
speedster61
New

Bangladesh

Cool video you got there
2016-12-7
Use props
DavidMorgan
New

United States

Wow Great video. Loved to watch this.
2016-12-9
Use props
Tharg (from the
lvl.4
Flight distance : 120784 ft
United Kingdom

How long did you have to wait to get permissions back from English Heritage?
Having done some work for EH I know they usually require an uplift in liabilty cover to £10m
Did thet reject your first risk assement or did it get approved on first submission?
Unusual that they would grant permission to non PFAW/PfCO holder
Using a UAV at English Heritage Sites

2016-12-9
Use props
Matt-and-Riley
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Tharg (from the Posted at 2016-12-9 13:23
How long did you have to wait to get permissions back from English Heritage?
Having done some work for EH I know they usually require an uplift in liabilty cover to £10m
Did thet reject your first risk assement or did it get approved on first submission?

I don't think anyone cares what English Heritage think or say.

Their guide is BS, they do not control the airspace above 'their' sites.

All they can do is stop you going on to the property if it's private.

From the EH site about Cow Tower - Please note: No dogs are allowed, except for guide dogs. ROFLMAO - it's on public land next to the river, everyone walks their dogs around there. Facist scum bags.
2016-12-9
Use props
Tharg (from the
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Matt-and-Riley Posted at 2016-12-9 16:27
I don't think anyone cares what English Heritage think or say.

Their guide is BS, they do not control the airspace above 'their' sites.

And it's attitudes exactly like that and flights in direct contravention of the Air Navigation Order (which happens to be law in the UK) which will get compulsory registration introduced and possibly the hobby banned altogether.
I don't actually care since I hold PfCO but it is the likes of yourself and your "I'll fly where I damn well like attitude" that will spoil it for everyone.
Seems to be a trend with the inexperienced 'Dronie' owner.
2016-12-9
Use props
Matt-and-Riley
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Tharg (from the Posted at 2016-12-9 19:02
And it's attitudes exactly like that and flights in direct contravention of the Air Navigation Order (which happens to be law in the UK) which will get compulsory registration introduced and possibly the hobby banned altogether.
I don't actually care since I hold PcFO but it is the likes of yourself and your "I'll fly where I damn well like attitude" that will spoil it for everyone.
Seems to be a trend with the inexperienced 'Dronie' owner.

Yeh yeh yeh, heard it all before, us and them BS. Just because you paid your cash doesn't make you safe or a good flyer. And it's a PfCO not PcFO, you don't even know what you have paid for.

Where did I suggest that "I would fly where I damn like"? I didn't say that, did anyone else, or did you just imagine it. Or just trying to twist things to make your opinion appear more important.

I actually abide by the Air Navigation Order (mostly), but EH has nothing to do with that. They're cashing in just like the rest of them.

I prefer the idea of personal responsibility rather than just doing what I'm told. But I know there are many like you who need to think they are obeying 'the law'. makes you feel big and important doesn't it. I bet you love your hiviz - lol

2016-12-9
Use props
Tharg (from the
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Typical Mavic Owner attitude.

2016-12-9
Use props
Matt-and-Riley
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Tharg (from the Posted at 2016-12-9 19:33
Typical Mavic Owner attitude.

Fantastic argument to back up your crap post.

I don't even own a Mavic, so your narrow minded bigoted comment is meaningless.

But hey, if you want to judge everyone who happened to buy a certain piece of kit then go ahead. Seeing a lot of this crap in this country at the moment. Self righteous twats who can't even debate their own opinion and turn to petty generalised attacks.

Go find a safe space, the real world is not for you.
2016-12-9
Use props
Mikedefieslife
lvl.3
United Kingdom

I didn't apply for permission simply due to the fact that I wasn't on their property. They do manage Cow Tower itself however it's on a public walkway next to the river clearly visible to every passer-by. I didn't even take the drone over the tower itself. Now if I was visiting something like Blickling Hall, where you'd actually need to be on their property to film it would be a different matter.
2016-12-12
Use props
Matt-and-Riley
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Mikedefieslife Posted at 2016-12-12 22:10
I didn't apply for permission simply due to the fact that I wasn't on their property. They do manage Cow Tower itself however it's on a public walkway next to the river clearly visible to every passer-by. I didn't even take the drone over the tower itself. Now if I was visiting something like Blickling Hall, where you'd actually need to be on their property to film it would be a different matter.

Blickling Hall is controlled by the National Trust, even worse than English Heritage because they can make up their own bylaws. They even try to ban all drones in the Lake District, fast expanse of nothingness, because they want your cash for so called permission.
2016-12-12
Use props
Mikedefieslife
lvl.3
United Kingdom

That's the UK all over. One of the things I loved when I was travelling South America was the freedom. Want to ride 100mph on the Salar with your eyes closed no worries. Want to go off road, no problem. Want to climb a volcano, go for it. In most of the UK all the land is owned by someone so you can't really do much of anything.

Just wish I'd have had the Mavic for that trip. Oh well hopefully they'll be many more.
2016-12-13
Use props
Brocktree
lvl.1
United States

This was unplanned footage...? Goals.
2016-12-27
Use props
Mikedefieslife
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Yep. I wanted to take the Mavic for a quick practise before I lost the light, but found there were too many people around. I kept walking until close to the tower and saw there was no-one really around.
2016-12-27
Use props
severebluesky
lvl.3

Germany

Mikedefieslife Posted at 2016-12-27 23:24
Yep. I wanted to take the Mavic for a quick practise before I lost the light, but found there were too many people around. I kept walking until close to the tower and saw there was no-one really around.

I hope you will do more of this kind without the need to explain the why;-)
But to have a storry in the back might help to prevent some trouble

Fingers x-ed
2016-12-27
Use props
fansba07642d
lvl.1

Brunei

great short video.. nice story following the actual person controlling..
2016-12-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules