Welp! My first crash with mavic
2540 22 2016-11-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Rocco12475
lvl.2

United States

Today was going to be what I was hoping to another successful flight.  That couldn't be further from what actually happened!

As soon as I took off, the drone was not responding and moving to the left at a decent speed about 3-4 feet from the ground. It slammed into the wall of the house and dropped to the ground.

I had 0 control over the drone and the only thing that stopped a fly away from taking off 3 feet away from me was the side of the house.  

Needless to say the body got scratched up but more importantly the gimble got dislodged and is no longer working properly.

This is very worrisome!  I even did a compess calibration prior to my flight as I do every time.

Now I have a mavic with a gimble that the hirizon is not even and I keep getting gimble obstructed message and overheating gimble.

I have DJI care so what's the next step DJI for fixing my drone that flew off by itself?

Thanks
2016-11-27
Use props
Danny-B-
lvl.4
Flight distance : 306640 ft
United Kingdom

Itll be down to that wind gust theory ....

Joking aside, extract your flight logs from dji assistant etc .. and start a case with dji.
Did you notice if you had gps lock, compass errors etc before take off?
2016-11-27
Use props
dotfiles
lvl.3

United States

Danny-B- Posted at 2016-11-28 06:28

Definitely start with posting the logs here as well as the stick inputs if you can.

This is very troubling as it seems more and more people are having unresponsive Mavic problems each day...
2016-11-27
Use props
smounic
lvl.2
Flight distance : 44094 ft
United States

You know, I had the exact same thing happen to me the other day.  Lift and rapid flight to the left.  In my case, it was because the left rear propeller was partially obstructed.  I almost lost it in water because of it.  Was yours obstructed in any way (even grass is enough).
2016-11-27
Use props
Lost Mavic
lvl.2

Australia

That would show in the log, surely.
2016-11-27
Use props
rick39
lvl.4
Flight distance : 164354 ft
United Kingdom

Have you calibrated the controller?
2016-11-27
Use props
Mooney
lvl.3

United States

Rocco,

Gimbal not a difficult fix.

Place the Mavic upside down, grab yourself a good light or flashlight.

Look to see that ALL the four tabs around the gimbal plate are below the Mavic's body.  There shouldn't be any contact with the body of the drone, they should be floating on the four bands.

With some careful manipulation you can get them back down.  DON'T BEND THE TABS!

Turn the Mavic over and power it up, turn on controller and select "gimbal calibration" in the camera settings.

After the reset you should be back in business.
2016-11-27
Use props
Nees
lvl.4
Flight distance : 80991 ft
Belgium

Doing compass calibration is not needed everytime. This might be the culprit. It is not that it is "de-calibrating" itself after every flight...
2016-11-27
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Hungary

Can you post logs.
2016-11-27
Use props
Rocco12475
lvl.2

United States

Mooney Posted at 2016-11-28 08:15
Rocco,

Gimbal not a difficult fix.

Thanks for the tip!  I will try this when I get home and will post the fight log if I can't fix it.

I was in a little bit of grass but the grass was pretty low and the mavic took off a little funny due to the blades hitting the grass but after it was up in the air I had no control over it and it flew about 10 feet on it's own and crashed into the side of the wall.  

I would assume even if you didn't take off from the best spot, once up in the air you should still be able to have control over the drone, right?  
2016-11-27
Use props
Rocco12475
lvl.2

United States

Danny-B- Posted at 2016-11-28 06:28

Yeah, that guy is crazy with his thermal wind theory

If a gust of wind or thermal wind can knock out GPS why didn't anyone ever have this issue prior to the mavic?

I did have a GPS lock before taking off as I always do and no compass issues.   I actually calibrate the compass every time I fly just to insure no issues.

I am extremely careful when I fly because I paid a lot of money and want to keep my mavic looking like new. But now it's not looking so new due to some unknown issue, like many others are reporting, it just started flying away with no response from the controls at all!  

This tells me it's not a "User Issue" and when my drone flies away form me for good without me being able to control/recover it,  I am expecting DJI to stand by it's product and replace it even though it's not covered under DJI care because that is some issue I have no control over since I didn't create/design the mavic pro.   

I wouldn't need "Fly away" to be covered under DJI care if the controler actually sent a signal to the drone to obay my command and not "Fly away" on it's own from 3 feet away from me.  
I've used $30-$50 RC toys and I've never had a problem within feet of each other......... IF $1000+ toy has a problem that a $30-$50 toy doesn't have, I say back to R&D! LOL

I hope this never happens to me again but from what I've read online it's only a matter of time before it does.  Prior to this I have had many successful fights with 0 issues and have been very happy so far with my mavic and was happy I wasn't experenecing any of the issues I've been reading about online.

This time I was lucky enough that a wall stopped me from losing my drone, maybe next time I wont be so lucky?

Side note:  I read online that if you lose your drone you can't get the flight logs?  If this is true I don't really understand why? DJI can show me live video of what my drone sees from 4 miles away but it cannot transmit real-time flight logs of what is going on up until it dies to the app?  Sillyness!

Just curious.

2016-11-27
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Sorry for your crash, Rocco12475.
I'd suggest you to send it in for fixing. And our engineers will help to analyze the flight data for you.Could you please clarify the current firmware version?
Please send an e-mail to support@dji.com with the following info, the subject should be " Forum support" . We'll help you create a case.
Case illustration:
Full name:
Email address:
Phone number:
Shipping Address:
Zip Code:
Forum link for your case:
2016-11-27
Use props
WasabiBread
lvl.3
United States

Let this be a lesson not to fly your Mavic near the Bermuda Triangle with thermal winds lurking about..and make sure no sun spot activity is going on, and defintley make sure kryptonite doesn't get within 15 feet of your Mavic
2016-11-27
Use props
Shill Slayer
lvl.2

United States

Rocco12475 Posted at 2016-11-28 09:55
Yeah, that guy is crazy with his thermal wind theory

If a gust of wind or thermal wind can knoc ...

You have flight logs available internally on the bird's flight recorder & also on your device so long as:

1) You are running the DJI Go App.
2) Your RC remains connected to the aircraft.

The logs are stored on your device within the DJI app folder structure.
2016-11-27
Use props
WebCo
Second Officer
Flight distance : 137362 ft
Australia

I had an identical Problem... but in my case the fall (from just 1.2m) was a bit more awkward and the Gimbal wasn't just off kilter - it snapped right off the mounting plate and was hanging free by the cable.

Straight back to DJI for repair.... I've been waiting now for 7 days while they "conduct a damage assessment".... I will let you know how it goes....
2016-11-28
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Hi Rocco, did you send an email to support@dji.com?
Could you please upload the flight data to dropbox and send me the link?  You can use the same method as for the Phantom 4. Please refer to the video tutorial.
And we also need the RC log. Can we get in touch with you via your forum account email?

2016-11-30
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Hungary

Well did you get your drone sorted..
2016-12-1
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2016-12-1 09:01
Well did you get your drone sorted..

I too want to know what the flight data analysis team concluded what was the cause.
2016-12-1
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Hungary

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-12-1 17:12
I too want to know what the flight data analysis team concluded what was the cause.

I just think coming out with a statement that my Mavic just took off and crashed is a bit vague, also discourages other flyers particularly newbies, so it's always worthwhile trying to find out the actual cause..
2016-12-1
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2016-12-1 11:16
I just think coming out with a statement that my Mavic just took off and crashed is a bit vague, a ...

I agree 100%
2016-12-1
Use props
Nees
lvl.4
Flight distance : 80991 ft
Belgium

And he is very quiet...
2016-12-1
Use props
fansbe726b4b
lvl.1
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-12-1 10:12

I know that there have been several people who have had issues with the stick not being calibrated properly on receiving.   When the Mavic first released, there was a drift issue in the calibration routine, but from my understanding this has been resolved in the recent update.

In short, since DJI is desperately trying to keep up with production on these units, I don't think it is unreasonable to have some of them arriving not properly calibrated.   For anyone who is wanting to be sure, just make sure you calibrate the sticks, IMU, and compass before using it the first time.  Also, do it several times if needed to get comfortable that you did it correctly.

Just my 2 cents worth. DJI is a great company putting out the best products on the market.  However, this does not mean that they dont make mistakes like the rest of us from time to time.  :-)
2016-12-1
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

fansbe726b4b Posted at 2016-12-1 15:57
I know that there have been several people who have had issues with the stick not being calibrated  ...

Yes, that was resolved with firmware.
I don't think an IMU calibration is needed but I would do a proper compass calibration.

2016-12-1
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules