Calibration question for DJI
1112 6 2016-11-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
dana5
lvl.3
Flight distance : 14354 ft
United States

Everyone knows "the drone dance", where you spin the Magic on 2 different axis. But I bet most people do this while holding the controller. As I understand it, the stick controls are magnetic. Do we, as users, need to worry about this throwing off the compass calibration if the controller is too close to the Mavic? The manual makes no mention of this, and I do not recall it being discussed. Just curious.
2016-11-27
Use props
Visualkaos
lvl.4
Flight distance : 755988 ft
  • >>>
United States

I believe one of the moderators stated in the past to leave the controller on the ground away from the mavic when calibrating the compass to avoid interference.  I can't remember what post I saw that on or I would give you the link.  
2016-11-27
Use props
trance728-
lvl.4
Flight distance : 298048 ft
  • >>>
United States

Well the manual does say to not have a cellular phone near it. Can you go into compass calibration without using your phone?
2016-11-27
Use props
dotfiles
lvl.3

United States

trance728- Posted at 2016-11-27 21:56
Well the manual does say to not have a cellular phone near it. Can you go into compass calibration w ...

Yes, you can put your phone in airplane mode. But this shouldn't be an issue if you are leaving the controller on the ground some distance away (10-15ft) from the Mavic when doing the calibration.
2016-11-27
Use props
dana5
lvl.3
Flight distance : 14354 ft
United States

dotfiles Posted at 2016-11-27 23:58
Yes, you can put your phone in airplane mode. But this shouldn't be an issue if you are leaving the controller on the ground some distance away (10-15ft) from the Mavic when doing the calibration.

Thanks... I have read more  posts, and seen videos recently that pertain to this. The phone, and controller, can cause interference in calibration, which could be a contributor to flight problems many have seen.

I think most people get the drone, and just want to get it in the air as soon as possible, only to regret their haste.
2016-12-7
Use props
rick39
lvl.4
Flight distance : 164354 ft
United Kingdom

trance728- Posted at 2016-11-28 03:56
Well the manual does say to not have a cellular phone near it. Can you go into compass calibration without using your phone?

You can also initiate a compass calibration by switching the sport mode switch on the right hand side of the controller three of four times in quick succession.
And as for reducing interference, remove any keys you may have in your pocket and take your watch off, and if it's a smart watch, disconnect it from your phone by turning Bluetooth off.
2016-12-7
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

dana5 Posted at 2016-12-7 07:02
Thanks... I have read more  posts, and seen videos recently that pertain to this. The phone, and controller, can cause interference in calibration, which could be a contributor to flight problems many have seen.

I think most people get the drone, and just want to get it in the air as soon as possible, only to regret their haste.

I've seen many people calibrate their aircraft with the RC/tablet in their hand.
It's better to leave it on the ground away from you.
2016-12-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules