What is Needed for VR Flight?
2465 19 2016-11-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
stuka75
lvl.4
Flight distance : 85682 ft
United States

A friend mine has tried VR using Litchi, and goggles with phone and would like to upgrade to goggles without phone. What does he need? He has a P3 pro and really enjoyed the experience with Vr, but has no cellphone and would like better goggles setup.
Thanks
2016-11-27
Use props
Cetacean
First Officer
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

Aloha stuka,

The current best option for the money $250 is the HeadPlay HD goggles.  But the drone racer types tease about how they make you look like ET - Phone Home.  That is because the HeadPlay uses a 7 inch screen and gives you a true 720p experience.  The 1080p screens in goggles are starting to be announced, like the DJI goggles, but are not out yet or are in beta.

Do be aware that even though FatShark goggles say they are HD, they are only 800X600 at best, not 720p.  The Yuneec goggles are also true HD and about the same price, but I have not experience with them.  I have a pair of HeadPlay HDs and I have to agree that they are amazing.

So, you friend (and anyone else) is right on the cusp.  If they can wait great, if not buy the Yuneec or HeadPlay HDs and plan on selling them at half the price when the 1080p goggles come out.

Aloha and Drone On!
2016-11-27
Use props
stuka75
lvl.4
United States

Cetacean Posted at 2016-11-28 09:28
Aloha stuka,

The current best option for the money $250 is the HeadPlay HD goggles.  But the d ...

Thanks. I assume these goggles need the HDMI board installation? And how do they connect to the controller?
2016-11-27
Use props
Steve-76
lvl.4
Flight distance : 175495 ft
United States

yeah you would need a vid output to get the feed to the gogles
2016-11-27
Use props
Steve-76
lvl.4
Flight distance : 175495 ft
United States

i dont feel you need hd for fpv/vr just good enough to see where your goin
2016-11-27
Use props
Cetacean
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

stuka75 Posted at 2016-11-27 15:57
Thanks. I assume these goggles need the HDMI board installation? And how do they connect to the con ...

Aloha stuka,

Yes, you will need the HDMI module from DJI ($100).  The HDMI module replaces the USB module on the bottom of the remote controller.  It is a very easy replacement, I have done it three times already.  (Be careful with the black clamps, they are fragile when they are not clamping down.)

In all deference to Steve's last comment, it is simply a matter of economics.  Do you want to spend twice the money on goggles with terrible resolution but no lag time when using analog (or digital) or do you want to spend half the money for goggles that have very little lag time and high definition (HD) resolution - a real VR experience.

I have the FatShark Dominator HD v2 and spent $500 on them.  Big mistake in my eyes using my own eyes.  They say HD but are only 800X600 not even 720p.  My HeadPlay HD (true HD) are 720p (with a 7 inch screen) and mind blowing.  A true VR experience at half the price.

The big issue Quad racers have with true HD goggles with large fields of view like HeadPlay HD and Yuneec, is that all that crystal clear vision is distracting.  When they stop to smell the roses, they go slower or crash, LOL!

Aloha and Drone On!
2016-11-27
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

"A friend mine has tried VR using Litchi, and goggles with phone and would like to upgrade to goggles without phone."

I am not certain, but I think you will still need the phone or tablet, even with the goggles, because there is no way to activate certain features without having the phone.
2016-11-27
Use props
stuka75
lvl.4
United States

Are there two ways to connect the goggles to ac camera. HDMI wired or wireless ( 5.8 ghz?)
And appreciate the input.
2016-11-27
Use props
stuka75
lvl.4
United States

Assuming wireless via 5.8 gig is HDMI not needed?
2016-11-27
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

stuka75 Posted at 2016-11-28 14:52
Are there two ways to connect the goggles to ac camera. HDMI wired or wireless ( 5.8 ghz?)
And appre ...

HDMI wired is the only method you can use. The Goggles cannot receive the Lightbridge signal used to tranmit video from the aircraft to the RC unit.
2016-11-27
Use props
Cetacean
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

stuka75 Posted at 2016-11-27 17:53
Assuming wireless via 5.8 gig is HDMI not needed?

Aloha stuka,

Geebax picked up on something I missed.  Your friend has to have a display for DJI GO, but that display does not have to be a cell phone.  It can just be a tablet.

When using the HDMI cabled goggles, they will be an accessory.  Your friend will have to have a device to operate the DJI GO app.  Goggles do not have touch screens.

As Geebax noted, the Lightbridge signal is modified and will not work on other 5.8 MHz receivers.  The connection has to be wired.

If your friend needs a tablet, he can try the nVidia Shield K1.  At $200 it is inexpensive but very capable.  It is the most popular Android device on the Forum.

My apologies for missing that important point.

Aloha and Drone On!
2016-11-28
Use props
stuka75
lvl.4
United States

Cetacean Posted at 2016-11-28 17:56
Aloha stuka,

Geebax picked up on something I missed.  Your friend has to have a display for  ...

Thanks. Friend has tablet. What are the Fat Shark goggles I see with antennae looking ball on a stick?
2016-11-28
Use props
stuka75
lvl.4
United States

stuka75 Posted at 2016-11-28 22:51
Thanks. Friend has tablet. What are the Fat Shark goggles I see with antennae looking ball on a st ...

And what are VR option sfor the standard P3(4K)
2016-11-28
Use props
Cetacean
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

stuka75 Posted at 2016-11-28 04:51
Thanks. Friend has tablet. What are the Fat Shark goggles I see with antennae looking ball on a st ...

Aloha stuka,

Those FatShark antennae are for drone racing.  They do 80 mph and need a fast video system.  That is why they sacrifice resolution for almost no lag time in the analog antennae system.  But for camera quad systems, lag is not as much of a problem and resolution is very important.

In my case, putting money into the FatShark goggles was a waste of money (and $500 at that).  I do have a racing drone and analog antennae system, but it is not as much fun as the high resolution systems I use.  And the high resolution systems have almost no lag time to if they are set up right.  

The high resolution goggles (with analog antennae systems) are being introduced into drone racing, but there is resistance because the high resolution systems are much larger than the analog racing goggles.  You kind of look like ET Phone Home with them on.  But, hey, I like ET!

Aloha and Drone On!
2016-11-28
Use props
Cetacean
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

stuka75 Posted at 2016-11-28 04:51
And what are VR option sfor the standard P3(4K)

Aloha stuka,

There may be no VR solution for the P3 4K.  Again, the P3 4K WiFi system may be proprietary for DJI.  But Kneepuck might know.  He has dabbled in that area before.  I seem to remember he found a way around it.  No telling how soon he will be able to get back to you though after I PM him.

Aloha and Drone On!
2016-11-28
Use props
stuka75
lvl.4
United States

Cetacean Posted at 2016-11-29 07:42
Aloha stuka,

There may be no VR solution for the P3 4K.  Again, the P3 4K WiFi system may be ...

Thanks appreciate it.
2016-11-28
Use props
Kneepuck
lvl.4
Flight distance : 275105 ft
United States

Hi Stuka

You pretty much have 2 options on the standard that I know of/  Well, make that 3.    If your heart is set on Fatshark goggles you will need an Nvidia Shield 8 inch tablet, because it has an Hdmi output on it.  There is no Hdmi module for the Standard or the 4k, so your device has to have it.
You can use something like a Samsung S5 galaxy, if you purchase the hdmi adaptor that plugs into its usb port.  Pretty cheap, but very clunky as it needs a separate power supply.
Last, you can use whatever device you have and a set of google cardboard type goggles that you put your device inside of.  For this to work, you must use the Litchi app instead of the Dji-Go app.

There may be other ways to do it with a Standard or a 4k, but those 3 are the ones I have done.
2016-11-28
Use props
Cetacean
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Kneepuck Posted at 2016-11-28 19:01
Hi Stuka

You pretty much have 2 options on the standard that I know of/  Well, make that 3.    If ...

Aloha Kneepuck,

Mahalo you Canadian!  They wish it would get as hot as it does where you live!

Aloha and Drone On!
2016-11-29
Use props
stuka75
lvl.4
United States

Assuming an HDMI board and wired headset are present, what programs can you use for VR? Can you initiate flight without first launching as LItchi requires?
2016-11-29
Use props
fansef79e33a
lvl.1
Flight distance : 203179 ft
United Kingdom

Does samsung gear vr goggles work on phantom p3
2016-11-29
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules