Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Battery insulation stickers
4679 18 2016-11-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Andy Sayle
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3358875 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Hi folks,

I'm planning on busting out the Inspire pro a few times this winter, and I was wondering if any one uses the little insulation stickers that are recommended for flying when the temperature is below 5°C?

Can anyone tell me if they peel off easily again for when the temperature warms up again?  I can see them needing to come off and be put back on again multiple times this winter!  Are they reusable too?

Cheers
Andy
2016-11-28
Use props
Cornscot
lvl.1
Flight distance : 701207 ft
United Kingdom

I have used them already this year; they do peel off easily enough but I am not sure how many times the 'stickiness' will work for. Might have a couple of batteries with them fitted and a couple without. I can't find any info on whether you should (or is safe to) charge the batteries with them fitted as it may lead to overheating?
2016-11-28
Use props
Andy Sayle
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3358875 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Ah cool.  If they peel off easy, then that makes the decision to use them easier too!  I had visions of needing stacks of them, and having to replace them every time they are used.

I can't see it being an issue charging them with the insulators on, whenever I have charged the Inspire batteries, the temperature rise is almost negligible.

Now I just need to sort out a transport box with a little heater in, to keep 6 inspire batteries, 7 phantom 4 batteries and a couple of mavic batteries above 15°C!

Andy
2016-11-28
Use props
Cornscot
lvl.1
Flight distance : 701207 ft
United Kingdom

With that many batteries I would keep them in individual LiPo bags! Then in one of those insulated 'cool' bags with a hot water bottle seems to do the trick!
2016-11-28
Use props
Donnie
Captain
Flight distance : 3636782 ft
United States

I made the mistake of peeling them off, the problem is taking them off makes for a mess and they get deformed, when i get my next batch I am going to cut them out  WITH THE WAX BACKING  then I am going to gently tack them in place in the corners with two sided tape or something to that effect.

I have ordered a couple more sets myself , also looking into a battery warmer. when I get this I am going to warm the batteries and then put the Insulation pieces in there for a possible friction fit , I have to do some experimenting on this .  You could of course just buy new Insulation tabs each year , like I say they dont remove nicely and get all funky looking and tear a wee bit .  

donnie
2016-11-28
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

Donnie Posted at 2016-11-28 21:45
I made the mistake of peeling them off, the problem is taking them off makes for a mess and they get ...

Perhaps the difference between you and Cornscot is a gentle hand?

Whenever I needed to reuse stickers, I always had to be quite meticulous with how slow and even i pulled them off.
2016-11-28
Use props
Donnie
Captain
United States

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2016-11-28 15:54
Perhaps the difference between you and Cornscot is a gentle hand?

Whenever I needed to r ...

You know me , type A and all..  Hell I pace in front  of the Microwave waiting for my food  , nothing is fast enough   !!

donnie
2016-11-29
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

Donnie Posted at 2016-11-29 20:55
You know me , type A and all..  Hell I pace in front  of the Microwave waiting for my food  , noth ...

I tend to have a very selective type A personality myself. While I'm alright to maticulously peel off a sticker, but I can't wait in line at Starbucks to save my life. The second they came out with an app to cut the line, I jumped on that ship in a heart beat.
2016-11-29
Use props
AEROKAMERA
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2289429 ft
  • >>>
Poland

Donnie Posted at 2016-11-28 14:45
I made the mistake of peeling them off, the problem is taking them off makes for a mess and they get ...

Last winter I used dedicated stickers for my six batteries but after peeled them off they became unusable
This winter I made a cover around a battery compartment, I cut a car glass insulation pad and fixed it with double sided adhesive tape. Once for all over the cold season. No more stickers
2016-11-30
Use props
Donnie
Captain
United States

AEROKAMERA Posted at 2016-11-30 04:52
Last winter I used dedicated stickers for my six batteries but after peeled them off they became un ...

Great idea, thanks for sharing !

donnie
2016-11-30
Use props
Donnie
Captain
United States

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2016-11-29 12:08
I tend to have a very selective type A personality myself. While I'm alright to maticulously peel  ...

I knew I had a brother from another Mother somewhere !!!

donnie
2016-11-30
Use props
AEROKAMERA
Second Officer
  • >>>
Poland

Donnie Posted at 2016-11-30 14:08
Great idea, thanks for sharing !

donnie

Thanks goes to DJI Professionals Team
2016-11-30
Use props
RichJ53
Captain
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

Donnie Posted at 2016-11-28 05:45

one word Donnie
"Velcro"
This works great and the insulation pads can be reused over and over again. Also, if you need more protection you can put some insulation board on the sides with Velcro separate from the battery.
this stuff is pretty cheap
Link

Rich
2016-11-30
Use props
Donnie
Captain
United States

RichJ53 Posted at 2016-11-30 12:28
one word Donnie
"Velcro"
This works great and the insulation pads can be reused over and over agai ...

I will give that a try also , thanks Rich .

I was going to get one of those heaters put I think I am just going to use a heating pad and a cooler  for keeping my packs warm and toasty .

donnie
2016-11-30
Use props
Donnie
Captain
United States

AEROKAMERA Posted at 2016-11-30 09:05
Thanks goes to DJI Professionals Team https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8iHLE3xzN4

That was some dam good flying ( dam good but risky ) .

donnie
2016-11-30
Use props
RichJ53
Captain
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

Donnie Posted at 2016-11-30 10:35
I will give that a try also , thanks Rich .

I was going to get one of those heaters put I think I ...

If you go directly from the car to the air... then you most likely do not need the battery heater. But..
The battery heater is nice if you need to hike to the flying location. It only takes about 8-10 minutes or so and then you know the battery is warm enough to fly safely.  

Rich
2016-11-30
Use props
AEROKAMERA
Second Officer
  • >>>
Poland

Donnie Posted at 2016-11-30 19:39
That was some dam good flying ( dam good but risky ) .

donnie

They inspired me to make a cover for battery compartment instead of using stickers for each battery. Car sunshade is big and cheap enough to cut many covers
2016-12-2
Use props
Donnie
Captain
United States

AEROKAMERA Posted at 2016-12-2 13:30
They inspired me to make a cover for battery compartment instead of using stickers for each battery ...

I love it when RC modelers use their God given talents and available resources  to  come up with novel solutions .

Well done

donnie
2016-12-3
Use props
raypaula123
lvl.1

United States

Can these stickers be used on the Mavic Air?
2019-1-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules