Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Phantom 3 Standard Controls Reversed
4948 13 2016-11-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
phantom3newbie
New

United States

I recently had to replace the ribbon camera/gimbal cable and reattach the antannae cables (the black and gray wires that attach to the camera) on my son's DJI Phantom 3 Standard. After doing so, the drone powers on and flies (and the camera responds) but the RC controls appear to be reversed. Stick actions that should move the drone down move it up, actions that should move it left move it right, etc.
Does anyone know what might have caused the controls to seemingly be reversed? After the repair we also updated the firmware before flying. It seems that maybe I can create a "Custom" controls mode in the DJI App, but wanted to ask for advice before doing so. Thanks.
2016-11-28
Use props
Aardvark
Captain
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Check the 'Remote Controller Settings' menu. The default should be 'mode 2'.
2016-11-28
Use props
phantom3newbie
New

United States

Aardvark Posted at 2016-11-28 13:35
Check the 'Remote Controller Settings' menu. The default should be 'mode 2'.

Thank you very much for the quick response. I should have mentioned that it is set to Mode 2, yet it seems to behave the opposite of those settings.
2016-11-28
Use props
RicardoGray
Captain
Flight distance : 4356421 ft
United States

Just a thought, but make sure any changes you make are with the phantom turned on. These settings are not stored in the app, but in the phantom. Maybe uninstall the app and re-install, and then look in app to see what it is on. If still the same you might just try to set it to the other mode to see what effect it has. Good luck, you have a strange issue for sure.
2016-11-28
Use props
ElMagico
New

United States

RicardoGray Posted at 2016-11-28 12:51
Just a thought, but make sure any changes you make are with the phantom turned on. These settings ar ...

Hi all,

First time poster here.  I also JUST had the same issue -- meaning I installed the firmware update as I was setting up the Phantom 3 before my first flight with it -- and the controls were reversed!  Meaning if I tried to go left, it would go right, and if I tried to go down, it would go up!  So i had to do a bunch of "forced" or "emergency" landings.  

My gut says it has something to do with the firmware update, OR the fact that I previously had a Phantom 3 on this same phone that I use on the remote -- maybe somehow it got confused -- but again, it did the reverse of what I told the remote to do.

Any thoughts are very much welcome!!!!

Thx!
2016-11-28
Use props
fans22aa3cea
First Officer
Flight distance : 558173 ft
Italy

I don't think it has anything  to do with modes, as the OP says the movements are inverted, not the sticks (meaning it wouldn't go forward instead of backward when you change mode).

I don't have a solution, 'cause it's difficult to find a root cause for this.

For the time being, I suggest you fly in F-Mode, so you can set Headless mode. That way it you should be able to set the head as the tail and vice versa
2016-11-29
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

In additional, may I know have you tried to calibrate remote and check again?
Would you please sync your flight records through APP and provide us your APP account e-mail?
2016-11-29
Use props
CHEOLK
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5299 ft
Singapore

Well. mine is like that, But it occurred while I am landing the AC
I landed it by pushing up the trottle while the downward becomes ascending.
After I managed to land on the ground, suddenly it shot up and get stuck in the tree branch. Luckily it was not very high and I managed to get back the AC with two poles and without crashing it,
Then the AC won't start. It remained like that for few days. DJI Technical also couldn't help.
However, after linking, delinking, calibrating many times, installing and reinstalling the GO app, it suddenly decided to come back to life.

BE CAREFUL, THE AC CAN FLY AWAY. WHY? BECAUSE ONCE THE AC IS TOO FAR OR TOO HIGH, THERE IS NO SIGNAL AND THE AC JUST CRASHES OR SAIL INTO THE UNKNOWN. THE P3S CANNOT GO FAR. JUST DON'T PUSH YOUR LUCK. I KNOW IT IS THRILLED BUT THE DOLLAR IS NOT THRILLING.
2016-11-30
Use props
Ciro Italy
lvl.4

Italy

try setting it on "mode 1"  , do a short fly and then put it on "mode" 2 again
2016-12-1
Use props
Jrbrock123
lvl.1
United States

I had this problem and was able to fix it by calibrating the controller, which is not in the user manual.  Found it on YouTube:     I have no idea how the controls got reversed. The only thing that changed was my phone, which I downloaded the DJI Go app to, and that's when the problem appeared.  Made sure I was in Mode 2, didn't matter, the drone was very erratic and did not fly as it did before.  push the left stick up and the drone would go down, and vice versa.  Push the right stick right, it would go left, sometimes, sometimes it would go right, and other times it appeared to be fighting itself.  I also downloaded the most recent firmware, with no luck.  Ii even went back to the original phone and the controls were still messed up.  Even in custom control mode.  Saw this video on calibrating the remote and upon entering the calibration screen and moving the sticks, the graphics confirmed that the signals were mostly reversed, sometimes it would go in the opposite direction before going in the proper direction. Very weird.  Followed the video instructions and the drone flies perfectly now as it did before.  Wish I knew what triggered it in the first place!
2018-6-10
Use props
Jrbrock123
lvl.1
United States

Jrbrock123 Posted at 2018-6-10 04:30
I had this problem and was able to fix it by calibrating the controller, which is not in the user manual.  Found it on YouTube: https://youtu.be/w6fCd2gWQzc    I have no idea how the controls got reversed. The only thing that changed was my phone, which I downloaded the DJI Go app to, and that's when the problem appeared.  Made sure I was in Mode 2, didn't matter, the drone was very erratic and did not fly as it did before.  push the left stick up and the drone would go down, and vice versa.  Push the right stick right, it would go left, sometimes, sometimes it would go right, and other times it appeared to be fighting itself.  I also downloaded the most recent firmware, with no luck.  Ii even went back to the original phone and the controls were still messed up.  Even in custom control mode.  Saw this video on calibrating the remote and upon entering the calibration screen and moving the sticks, the graphics confirmed that the signals were mostly reversed, sometimes it would go in the opposite direction before going in the proper direction. Very weird.  Followed the video instructions and the drone flies perfectly now as it did before.  Wish I knew what triggered it in the first place!

Another note worth mentioning, I tried re-linking the rc to the ac, re-downloading the app, calibrating the compass, updating firmware, and none of these fixed the problem prior to calibrating the rc.  I've had my drone for 3 years with no problems prior to this issue.
2018-6-10
Use props
droningon2019
New

United Kingdom

I'm a newbie  and had similar problems. I've tried re calibrating compass & sticks. For example, down will lift the drone but if I move it all the way it will change again and go down. I've tried all the modes and doesn't seem to make any difference. I also resettled to default settings, it just flew sideways towards a bush, but it survived! Do you think this could be a firmware problem? Also return to home just lands where it is, but I'm sure I've seen videos of the P3 landing in almost the same spot? Also the status sometimes shows as poor even thought everything's fully charged, maybe I've been sold a faulty drone? Hope there is a solution, thanks for any advice.
2019-7-21
Use props
Sean-newbie
Captain
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

droningon2019, you might want to check the manual and see if there is a minimum-distance-from-the-home-point requirement for it to actually return home. On a P3adv this is, I think, 20m, if an RTH is intiated INSIDE that distance the drone lands where it is and DOES NOT seek the home point.

Just noticed that what it seems I need to do to calibrate the RC differs from the above video, I have to press ''start'' then waggle the sticks and dial and then press, I think, ''done''.  

2019-7-21
Use props
droningon2019
New

United Kingdom

Sean-newbie Posted at 7-21 13:11
droningon2019, you might want to check the manual and see if there is a minimum-distance-from-the-home-point requirement for it to actually return home. On a P3adv this is, I think, 20m, if an RTH is intiated INSIDE that distance the drone lands where it is and DOES NOT seek the home point.

Just noticed that what it seems I need to do to calibrate the RC differs from the above video, I have to press ''start'' then waggle the sticks and dial and then press, I think, ''done''.

Ok thanks. I've also noticed that toggling S2 does not activate RTH, I can only do this through the app,maybe I should send it for a repair/check.
2019-7-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules