Mavc remote control very poor build
2522 31 2016-11-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Sue D
New

United Kingdom

I have been lucky enough to receive my MAVIC recently and have a couple of short flights YAY!!  However went to go and fly again, dropped the controller onto very soft grass and the antennae completely snapped off..... this was not concrete... I'm a photographer so not in the business of dropping things but it was ice cold and it slipped... I am deeply concerned about how flimsy this is!!!!!!!  Has anyone else experienced this???  Taken pic with iPad and says image too big!!! Honesty I am absolutely stunned at the build quality...

Pic taken by iPhone from iPad pic as file size too big... just sent to DJI as going in for repair
2016-11-28
Use props
dana5
lvl.3
Flight distance : 14354 ft
United States

Sounds like bad luck. The controller does have some weight to it, and combined with the weight of the phone, if you were to drop it, and it landed just right, it could very well snap an antenna, but again, it would have to fall just right.

Neither the drone nor the controller are designed to be dropped, obviously. I am sorry that this happened, but in the end, it was you who dropped it. Sadly, you are the first person this has happened to. And, also the first I have heard mention the build quality of the controller.

Personally, I would like to have seen removable antennae, like on any other device with dual antennae. I do not think they really needed to be fixed, and designed so they snap together. I have seen many in unboxing videos try to spin one of the antennae the wrong way, thinking they should be symetrical, but they are not.

Anyway, hope you can get it fixed.
2016-11-28
Use props
Ulfert
lvl.2
Flight distance : 203005 ft
Germany

I'm sorry for your mishap. Imo the controller and the Mavic itself is very well build.
Have the antennas been folded out at the time of the accident?

And have you tried contacting the support already? My experience with them was excellent so far.

Btw, I wouldn't want DJI to make the controller that sturdy that it withstands every possible accident, it would probably get very heavy then.
Everything is a compromise ;)
2016-11-28
Use props
z4k4tt4ck
lvl.3
Flight distance : 535 ft
Australia

I suggest renaming post to " clumsy fool blames DJI for own mistake"

One thing that almost everyone agrees, is the build quality of the mavic and controller is exceptional ...except you.

Don't drop your phone trying to reply butter fingers.
2016-11-28
Use props
R&L Aerial
First Officer
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

Please don't drop something than blame the makers, these things are not designed to be dropped.
2016-11-28
Use props
devGOD
lvl.3
Flight distance : 200577 ft
United States

Sorry but the controller is built very well. you're at fault for this one.
2016-11-28
Use props
nils.heidorn
lvl.3
Flight distance : 183537 ft
Germany

Bad luck !

Instead of paying $$$ for repairs you could buy new & better Antennae from FPVLR, check their website, they offer upgraded Antennae for the mavic.
Look cooler, more range but probably not 100% correct for CE regulations but i hope legal for you FCC guys :-)

Its on preorder but maybe mail your situation, i know they already have a few units.
Anyways using a UFL to SMA Pigtail you can connect any Antenna meanwhile... maybe just 2 regular Omni 3dB while waiting for the good stuff...

Nils

https://fpvlr.com/store/product/ ... long-range-antenna/
2016-11-28
Use props
Warrior200
lvl.3

United Kingdom

I dropped my baby once and shouted at the wife for not making it bouncy (joking) . I have a lanyard on my transmitter for rc I'm going to use that for the mavic controller.
2016-11-28
Use props
Sue D
New

United Kingdom

R&L Aerial  Posted at 2016-11-28 20:14
Please don't drop something than blame the makers, these things are not designed to be dropped.

Honestly I would agree with you, but it was jaw dropping, the controller and drone itself is very solid, however the antenna seem extremely flimsy compared to say my phantom three.  Just be careful, as it will take very little to break!!!  
2016-11-28
Use props
Sue D
New

United Kingdom

dana5 Posted at 2016-11-28 19:32
Sounds like bad luck. The controller does have some weight to it, and combined with the weight of th ...

Yes thank you for your reply, I think it did land just right BUT as I said below, it was jaw dropping at how flimsy they are... flying in cold environments with gloves etc, watch out! lol
2016-11-28
Use props
Sue D
New

United Kingdom

z4k4tt4ck Posted at 2016-11-28 20:03
I suggest renaming post to " clumsy fool blames DJI for own mistake"

One thing that almost everyon ...

Hahaha thanks for the reply and I don't blame you!!!  However  these things happen but there is no protection... what if you catch the antenna on something, snap, they will be gone, no strength in them whatsoever!!  Good luck, hope you never have butterfingers lol!!!
2016-11-28
Use props
GeForceFX-be
lvl.2

Belgium

So you are a photographer and you do not know how to resize a ipad photo?
2016-11-28
Use props
Sue D
New

United Kingdom

GeForceFX-be Posted at 2016-11-28 21:17
So you are a photographer and you do not know how to resize a ipad photo?

Not from my iPad LOL!!!  PS of course !!
2016-11-28
Use props
GeForceFX-be
lvl.2

Belgium

I don't use apple stuff but there must be some picture resize apps available right? I know they exist on android
2016-11-28
Use props
dana5
lvl.3
Flight distance : 14354 ft
United States

GeForceFX-be Posted at 2016-11-29 05:32
I don't use apple stuff but there must be some picture resize apps available right? I know they exis ...

For android, it's just built in. The iPhone 8 will probably include something similar, and call it iSize, and boast it as the most revolutionary feature ever to be put into a phone. It will be the biggest thing to happen to iPhone, since iPhone.

Steve Wozniak (the real founder of apple) once said, "I recommend iPhone for those who do not understand technology, and Android for those who do." Last I heard, the Woz carries and Android phone.
2016-11-28
Use props
Sue D
New

United Kingdom

GeForceFX-be Posted at 2016-11-28 21:32
I don't use apple stuff but there must be some picture resize apps available right? I know they exis ...

Just tried adding pic but not having it!  Going in for repair, gutted, butter fingers!
2016-11-28
Use props
Visual Air
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 2710115 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Yea that sucks but as the op stated cold outside will make plastic brittle and break easier plus its unfortunate that you dropped it as any radio regardless of the manufacture likey does not fair well.
The ground is usually not forgiving......
2016-11-28
Use props
Logger
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2883714 ft
Australia

Warrior200 Posted at 2016-11-29 04:32
I dropped my baby once and shouted at the wife for not making it bouncy (joking) . I have a lanyard  ...

I have a lanyard on my transmitter for rc I'm going to use that for the mavic controller.
Not a bad idea although would need to be a long lanyard for arms length use. the lanyards I have lying around are for ID cards and are too short.
2016-11-28
Use props
Warrior200
lvl.3

United Kingdom

Logger Posted at 2016-11-29 03:38
I have a lanyard on my transmitter for rc I'm going to use that for the mavic controller.
Not a b ...

Mine is a turnigy one that's adjustable you can get them quite cheep on the net. Flitetest do a good one.
2016-11-28
Use props
Mike-the-cat
Second Officer
Flight distance : 22488593 ft
  • >>>
Singapore

Hmm, the plastic compound they use is quite flexible. How cold was it? Low temperature can make plastic more breakable. Quite unlucky you were. Sorry to hear.
2016-11-29
Use props
Vertical.Creati
lvl.3
United States

Wait... Your a "photographer" and you can't work out how to scale a photo from your iPad to post on the web?
2016-11-29
Use props
Jackie13
lvl.1

United Kingdom

I find this a very worrying 'accident'!  
I am still waiting for my Mavic to be delivered but am planning on using it for outdoor activities and sports.  I ordered this drone as there seemed to be enough info on the controller screen to be able to use it without having to attach a mobile/take a mobile with me to fly it (want to carry the minimum I can when using a drone for this kind of activity).  The idea of antenna that can be broken off THAT easily sounds like it might be an issue for sporting activities, which I thought was the idea of these drones, thought they would be quite robust to odd knocks, which is what sounds like happened to original poster.  If rock climbing will they break off if they ‘tap’ against a rock? or ‘tap’ on edge of a canoe? or a bike handlebar?  Sounds like the antenna could even be broken off while being carried in a rucksack if they are this flimsy!  Not good, sounds like this could easily happen to anyone, doesn’t sound like it was being thrown around by the OP
No way should antenna snap off that easily!  
Very worrying! Might have to think again which drone I want to use, thought I had ordered the perfect one, having doubts now
2016-11-29
Use props
Sue D
New

United Kingdom

Vertical.Creati Posted at 2016-11-29 12:05
Wait... Your a "photographer" and you can't work out how to scale a photo from your iPad to post on  ...

If I have a 1DX Mark II why would I use an iPad to take photos!! Think it through; sounds like you need an app to resize!
2016-11-29
Use props
Sue D
New

United Kingdom

Jackie13 Posted at 2016-11-29 15:17
I am still waiting for my Mavic to be delivered but am pla ...

Exactly what I was thinking... fair points raised!
2016-11-29
Use props
Sue D
New

United Kingdom

Mike-the-cat Posted at 2016-11-29 09:55
Hmm, the plastic compound they use is quite flexible. How cold was it? Low temperature can make plas ...

It wasn't freezing temp but had windchill !  Insurance will cover it but let's hope it's just bad luck that no one else will suffer.
2016-11-29
Use props
Ulfert
lvl.2
Flight distance : 203005 ft
Germany

Jackie13 Posted at 2016-11-29 16:17

I strongly suggest you create your own opinion after receiving the Mavic.

As all but one in this thread have stated, it's rather sturdy.

Please don't worry too much about one report of a little mishap.
2016-11-29
Use props
cluc
lvl.3
Flight distance : 85682 ft
Australia

Jackie13 Posted at 2016-11-29 23:17

LoL... seriously you should just lock yourself up and not go anywhere, you worry too much.

If you dropped your phone and the screen lands on a rock and cracks your screen, is it also worrying that your phone is crap? Oh, what about the cracked glass on your phone, it can cut your fingers... and if it did cut your fingers, does that mean you will also worry about yourself?

Seriously, these things aren't made for people to drop them, otherwise they will have a shock proof rating!
2016-11-29
Use props
QuanthonyTrang
Second Officer
Flight distance : 419980 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Use a lanyard or a wrist strap. It may of prevented the drop.

DJI should have made a simple lanyard mount. Sometimes you need that free hand to climb that shrub or 2.
2016-11-29
Use props
Jackie13
lvl.1

United Kingdom

cluc Posted at 2016-11-29 23:12
LoL... seriously you should just lock yourself up and not go anywhere, you worry too much.

If you ...

thank you duc, for your not very helpful, or on the point, answer!  JFI I have never dropped my mobile. or ever cracked a mobile screen, but thank you for your concerns!
I am asking about things that stick out from new, expensive gadgets eg antenna that can get knocked off too easily if not made of very sturdy stuff!
2016-11-30
Use props
Jackie13
lvl.1

United Kingdom

QuanthonyTrang Posted at 2016-11-30 00:00
Use a lanyard or a wrist strap. It may of prevented the drop.

DJI should have made a simple lanyard ...

so those of you talking about landyards....if one suggestion is that they needed to be made with a fixing for a landyard, so there isn't one?.....what are you attaching them to on the controller? and please don't tell me you are attaching to the antenna fixing!! LOL
2016-11-30
Use props
Logger
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2883714 ft
Australia

Hah the antenna fixing ;-)    Not me but from a while back.  This looks like a good Lanyard Solution except for the fact that it must be removed to close the arms.
2016-11-30
Use props
Jackie13
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Logger Posted at 2016-11-30 08:55
Hah the antenna fixing ;-)    Not me but from a while back.  This looks like a good Lanyard Solution ...

Thank you for the link, Logger :-)
2016-12-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules