Ipad mini wifi only or cellular?
4799 26 2016-11-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
z7BdJFqOQUAg
lvl.2

United States

Im planing to use Ipad with  Mavic. do I need the celluar ipad or the regular wifi model?
2016-11-28
Use props
dotfiles
lvl.3

United States

I believe the wifi model will work but you will not be able to see the maps unless you cache them beforehand
2016-11-28
Use props
Crusader
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Cellular for follow me mode and for resetting home point to a different location when you move (needs gps), if this is not your prime goal wifi will do fine.And an ipad 2 or 4, 1 is too old and slow.
2016-11-28
Use props
z7BdJFqOQUAg
lvl.2

United States

you're right thankx
2016-11-28
Use props
Jake Phantom 3
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2639747 ft
United States

I think the Mavic will do follow me without cell phone coverage. Can anyone confirm this?
2016-11-28
Use props
Schwavic
lvl.3

United States

Jake Phantom 3  Posted at 2016-11-28 17:24
I think the Mavic will do follow me without cell phone coverage. Can anyone confirm this?

Only the +Cell models have Assisted GPS and GLONASS and Cellular location settings...  I'd suspect this is needed, but can't confirm.
2016-11-28
Use props
mengteck71
lvl.3
Singapore

Crusader Posted at 2016-11-29 06:02
Cellular for follow me mode and for resetting home point to a different location when you move (need ...

Do we need to install a SIM card with active cellular service? Or it is just tapping on the GPS in the cellular iPad mini?
2016-11-28
Use props
Crusader
lvl.2

Netherlands

mengteck71 Posted at 2016-11-29 06:34
Do we need to install a SIM card with active cellular service? Or it is just tapping on the GPS in ...

No SIM card needed, only if you want to load maps on location with no wifi reach.
2016-12-2
Use props
ahr69
lvl.2
Flight distance : 83612 ft
  • >>>
United States

I too, have an iPad mini 2 which I bought because Walmart had them for $200., and I wanted a cheap big screen. I used it linked to my cell phone through tethering using T-Mobile which they call "hotspot" in settings,  I have not tried the GPS  Mode yet as I only received my Mavic a couple days ago. Let's keep this thread going.
2016-12-2
Use props
13MStang
lvl.3
Flight distance : 892749 ft
United States

wait, what about using iPad mini connected to iPhone via hotspot?   will that work?
2016-12-2
Use props
fanseb85c303
lvl.3

United States

How do you cache maps ahead of time
2016-12-2
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

fanseb85c303 Posted at 2016-12-2 09:16
How do you cache maps ahead of time

In the General Settings, scroll down to Cache Maps in the Background.
Then before you leave your house (or other WiFi) move the map to where you will be flying at.
When you get to your destination, the map will be already loaded when you open the GO app.
Or since your using a tablet without GPS, if you do not know the flight destination then just use your phone as a hotspot and connect to it from your tablet when you get to your flight area and it will load the map.
2016-12-2
Use props
fanseb85c303
lvl.3

United States

General settings in DJI app?
2016-12-2
Use props
fanseb85c303
lvl.3

United States

Also if I get a compatible cell phone do you have to have cellular service to use the GPS functionality
2016-12-2
Use props
QuantX
lvl.2
Flight distance : 356542 ft
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-12-2 08:21
In the General Settings, scroll down to Cache Maps in the Background.
Then before you leave your house (or other WiFi) move the map to where you will be flying at.
When you get to your destination, the map will be already loaded when you open the GO app.

When you do this, will it update the GPS position if you moved as well?  Meaning if I go and take off from one location and move to another and use the wifi only tablet and set my current phone as a hotspot.  Will that update the remote's location?

I'm thinking about getting a wifi only tablet and use my current phone as a hotspot, but want the location to be updated if I was to move to a different location during flight.
2017-2-10
Use props
Ex Machina
First Officer
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

I believe you need a data connection to self-authorize in the field, so keep that in mind.
2017-2-10
Use props
BuzzCut
lvl.4

United States

fanseb85c303 Posted at 2016-12-2 08:51
Also if I get a compatible cell phone do you have to have cellular service to use the GPS functionality

The GPS & GLONASS chips are baked into the craft.  You only need the GPS on the cellular device for the older Follow Me function (not active track).  Also you can't use maps live, but you can cache them first or tether your phone for either of those options that require a data connection.

Also, you wouldn't be able to download and update the firmware in the field without a data connection but I'd never do that in the field anyway.

Bottom line: the WiFi version does almost everything.  I use a WiF-onlyi mini 4 and have never felt the need so far to use my iPhone instead.
2017-2-10
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

QuantX Posted at 2017-2-10 16:26
When you do this, will it update the GPS position if you moved as well?  Meaning if I go and take off from one location and move to another and use the wifi only tablet and set my current phone as a hotspot.  Will that update the remote's location?

I'm thinking about getting a wifi only tablet and use my current phone as a hotspot, but want the location to be updated if I was to move to a different location during flight.

I tried and without a GPS enabled device if I use Follow Me it says it cannot do it because of weak GPS.You can just reset the homepoint to the aircraft if you want.
2017-2-12
Use props
QuantX
lvl.2
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2017-2-12 11:04
I tried and without a GPS enabled device if I use Follow Me it says it cannot do it because of weak GPS.You can just reset the homepoint to the aircraft if you want.

Thank you for the reply!  What if I just got a cellular ipad mini 4 and didn't have the cell function activated and just cached my maps through my current phone as a wifi hotspot.  Could I still use the GPS on the mini then and do follow me?
2017-2-16
Use props
RearViewMirror
lvl.3
United States

One other thing to consider. I have a iPad Mini with cellular and one WiFi only. I accidentally dropped my cellular Mini and shattered the screen. While it was being repaired I used the WiFi only version on my Inspire. What I did during this time is tether my Mini off my iPhone and had full map function back as it was using my iPhone as a hotspot. I had no issues during this time. Once I received my iPad cellular back I was back to the original setup. But I had no issues with tethering off my iPhone during the meantime.
2017-2-16
Use props
gbracer08
lvl.2
Flight distance : 95144 ft
United States

Im now useing an IPAD Mini 2 Cellular.  It works well with DJI Go 4.  I haven't had any slowness on the iPad.  
2017-2-16
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

QuantX Posted at 2017-2-16 05:58
Thank you for the reply!  What if I just got a cellular ipad mini 4 and didn't have the cell function activated and just cached my maps through my current phone as a wifi hotspot.  Could I still use the GPS on the mini then and do follow me?

I don't think that will work. I just tested on my iPad and removed the SIM card and tried Follow Me and it said satellite signal too weak so the SIM card has to be installed and probably activated.
At least that's how it worked on my iPad Air2.
2017-2-16
Use props
The Rev
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1256837 ft
United States

I just use a WIFI Ipad mini 4 and tether when required and it works great.
I saves having to pay for 2 contracts.
2017-2-16
Use props
QuantX
lvl.2
United States

The Rev Posted at 2017-2-16 08:20
I just use a WIFI Ipad mini 4 and tether when required and it works great.
I saves having to pay for 2 contracts.

Does the GPS work just as good even though it's not on a contract?  I was thinking of doing that and just tether to my current phone as a hotspot.
2017-2-16
Use props
CAAirborne
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1174232 ft
United States

ahr69 Posted at 2016-12-2 05:51
I too, have an iPad mini 2 which I bought because Walmart had them for $200., and I wanted a cheap big screen. I used it linked to my cell phone through tethering using T-Mobile which they call "hotspot" in settings,  I have not tried the GPS  Mode yet as I only received my Mavic a couple days ago. Let's keep this thread going.

Oooo.... Good idea tethering to your cell.  I'd been thinking about getting an iPad mini, too, but was wondering about connectivity.  My cellular plan has unlimited data, and I can setup a wifi hotspot... perfect combo if I can find a cheap iPad mini.
2017-2-16
Use props
MikeQView
lvl.4
United Kingdom

On the same lines,  can you then live stream through the tethered hotspot ??    ipad mini 4 wifi version
2017-2-16
Use props
The Rev
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1256837 ft
United Kingdom

MikeQView Posted at 2017-2-16 13:41
On the same lines,  can you then live stream through the tethered hotspot ??    ipad mini 4 wifi version

Yes you can
2017-2-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules