Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
RMA or opt for P4P?
717 3 2016-11-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
canadianairborn
lvl.3

Canada

After talking with support and having them start a RMA ticket, I'm not sure whether I should give the Mavic a second try or go for the P4P.
Are people experiencing problems with their P4's? loosing GPS at random> blurry images> RTH not functioning properly. Or are these things fixed on the phantom platform?
I had the original Phantom for years and never had any issues with loosing GPS or RTH not functioning. I used a gopro with a cheap gimbal and never had a problem either. Do p4's have camera issues? blurry edges or anything? is it common across the board for DJI? Or can I expect a better product from the phantom line? Reliability is paramount as far as safety goes. So far, in my five flights I've noticed the following things: 1. the controller displays "IMU initializing" on start up (at random), not really a problem just an observation 2. it lost connection to my iphone 6 when I was 25ft away then re-connected within 25 seconds 3. the camera has blurring on both sides of photos and videos. I have not done any calibrations other than a compass calibration before the first flight. I'm not sure what calibrations can fix a blurry image but who knows. Besides those three things, I haven't has any problems as far as responsiveness or loss of GPS... yet. I really dig the compact size of it and if it did as advertised, I would be more than happy with it. I'm reading posts where guys are loosing GPS and having flyaways after 20-30 flights and it scares me. Do these things happen with the P4's? Is OcuSync an issue? Is Lightbridge more reliable? Is it bad compass calibrations messing with GPS? Or is it inevitable that thermal winds will take it no matter what I choose???
FML    

2016-11-28
Use props
AusAir
lvl.2
Flight distance : 425049 ft
Australia

Regarding your observations:
1) This is normal behaviour and will typically take longer on the first flight of the day
2) Had this happen a couple of times. Turned out the cable wasn't properly seated.
3) This is a fault

Regarding the Lightbridge vs Ocusync, the latter apparently has less latency. Both still have too much for tight technical FPV flight in any case.

Compass/GPS - it does seem quite fussy on the Mavic. In areas where other machines will quite happily grab 16 sats, the Mavic will some times report 12 and then flag a compass interference issue. It's not enough to be a major concern so long as you're careful with the flight but it can knock your confidence a little.
2016-11-28
Use props
canadianairborn
lvl.3

Canada

AusAir Posted at 2016-11-29 08:28
Regarding your observations:
1) This is normal behaviour and will typically take longer on the firs ...

Thanks for your reply.
Loosing GPS is a huge concern for me. That said, my friend literally just sent me a video he took flying his P4 in downtown Vancouver where he lost GPS and it went for a ride by itself before he regained control and landed it safely. I guess things can happen on both platforms and I was being foolish to think otherwise.
2016-11-28
Use props
dotfiles
lvl.3

United States

canadianairborn Posted at 2016-11-28 19:01
Thanks for your reply.
Loosing GPS is a huge concern for me. That said, my friend literally just  ...

Losing GPS is definitely an issue, but if you've practiced with any of the cheap training quads you should by able to fly the Mavic in ATTI mode no problem.
Losing GPS and going into ATTI is a different problem than the quad not responding to inputs and flying on its own however...

In regards to your questions, AusAir above is spot on. It seems some members who have had camera issues have had to resort to an RMA. I would suggest trying all the calibrations first however (gimbal and IMU in particular)
2016-11-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules