Huh? Build and package quality disappointing!
12Next >
4444 55 2016-11-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
kevinelliott
lvl.4
Flight distance : 354131 ft
United States

Ahoy everyone!
I own two Inspires and I'm quite familiar with DJI in general. I am probably the only one on the whole internet who feels like the packaging and build quality of the Mavic isn't as good as everyone says. I am writing this to see if those of you who received your Mavics got one like I did.

I just received my Mavic Combo yesterday afternoon after a 2 month wait (they tried to deliver early last Friday, but I was away on a trip to Europe). I ordered on 9/29 from DJI Direct. I had guessed when FedEx might arrive, and sent my mother-in-law to my home to sign for it. We got home late last night so I didn't have a chance to open it up yet. 10 days away from the kids and we missed them.

Just a short while ago, after waking up early, I opened up the sealed Mavic box and immediately felt a sense of disappointment.

* there is dust or some kind of fibers scattered around most of the drone
* the protective stickers are not placed well, or have been placed a second time (poorly)
* there are scuffs/scratches or possibly stress lines on the bottom of the Mavic
* there is a spot on the back of the controller where a sticker must have once been placed but was removed
* there is a ding/scratch in one of the propellers (on the ones pre-attached)
* there are fingerprints on the controller and drone
* some of the injection moulding plastic parts look cheaply done (up close)

After waiting for 2 months and watching so many YouTube videos of people doing unboxings and saying how impressed they were with the packaging and build quality, I will admit my expectations are certainly high. But now I am in a little shock that my Mavic came like this. I have opened so many products delivered from Shenzhen, China by air (iPhones, iPads, Watch, Apple TVs, Xboxes (all series), PlayStation, etc) and I most definitely have not come across this. To me it doesn't seem indicative of normal Shenzhen factory output.

Is this a refurbished unit?
Was it just shoddily put together in haste?
Is this typical of all of the Mavics you received?

I'm just trying to understand what happened here. I am sure this is safe to fly, but I feel like I didn't get a new product here.

There's no way I'm going to power it up and activate it and fly it until I figure this out.

Thoughts/feedback wanted...
UPDATE: A forum moderator must have removed the THREE LETTERS starting the subject of this post that refer to confusion starting with W and ending in F, and then didn't even notify me/us that they did this. I'm sort of really confused here. What is going on over there at DJI? I have added "Huh?" now instead, in case the other is considered "swearing"...

IMG_8755.JPG

IMG_7804.JPG

IMG_6939.JPG

IMG_5477.JPG

IMG_5132.JPG

IMG_9387.JPG

IMG_8804.JPG

IMG_6980.JPG

IMG_6500.JPG

IMG_5867.JPG

IMG_5248.JPG

IMG_1995.JPG

IMG_8467.JPG

IMG_8046.JPG

IMG_5807.JPG

IMG_5765.JPG

IMG_2058.JPG

IMG_6579.JPG

2016-11-29
Use props
Matman
lvl.4
Flight distance : 644669 ft
United States

Wonder if this was a return/refurb, and someone had it in their fuzzy pack that was shedding black fibers?
2016-11-29
Use props
AYA74
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2002713 ft
  • >>>
France

It doesn't indeed look like a brand new one... except the fact that my unit was faulty (compass problem), the set I received was neat, well packed and all stickers properly put.
2016-11-29
Use props
CamStevens
lvl.4

United States

That does NOT look new.  Wow.
2016-11-29
Use props
Somican
lvl.3
Flight distance : 485997 ft
Germany

looks like a used one for me.

my mavic came clean and with all stickers in correct place.

ur pictures do not show how a new mavic should look...

sry for u
2016-11-29
Use props
Mayoo
Second Officer
Flight distance : 299708 ft
Canada

I am sorry for you but this not the case in my pkg..
2016-11-29
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Hungary

It certainly does not look right, I've had many products from dji and packaging has always been exceptional, I would not accept that if it arrived to me..
2016-11-29
Use props
fansa7eabb8f
lvl.3
Flight distance : 892703 ft
  • >>>
United States

My Mavic did not arrive in that condition. Even a refurbished product should have clean stickers and look new.

I'm sure you're very disappointed.
2016-11-29
Use props
Camolin
lvl.2
Germany

wow! that does look neither new nor healthy to fly!
2016-11-29
Use props
Matman
lvl.4
Flight distance : 644669 ft
United States

fansa7eabb8f Posted at 2016-11-29 10:24
My Mavic did not arrive in that condition. Even a refurbished product should have clean stickers and ...

Agree, this shouldn't happen, BUT

Due to the unicorn effect, I'd probably pull off the stickers, dust it off and carry on.

Is there anything wrong w/it, besides it looking scuzzy/fuzzy?
2016-11-29
Use props
FPVJunkie
lvl.2
Flight distance : 66421 ft
United States

Wow man, I don't have my Mavic yet, but I too would be seriously disappointed if I opened up my "brand new" Mavic and it looked like this! That thing is filthy and looks used. Was the hidden sticker still up under the gimbal clamp? I don't know where exactly it is, but it's a pull tab sticker and would be impossible I think to reinstall it after removing it.
2016-11-29
Use props
kevinelliott
lvl.4
United States

Matman Posted at 2016-11-29 09:27
Agree, this shouldn't happen, BUT

Due to the unicorn effect, I'd probably pull off the stickers,  ...

Yes, I'm tempted of course, but nervous about it. Once I boot it up, activate it, and fly it, all bets are off. I'm sure it probably flies just fine. But I can't help but feel that I should have a brand new product... not a used one pawned off as a new one. If it's just shoddy manufacturing, then that is worrisome on its own right, because what else might have been done shoddy?
2016-11-29
Use props
R&L Aerial
First Officer
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

I didn't want to say anything but when I received my combo everything was " dirty " as well. There was black fibers every where, I unpacked everything and had to vacuum everything off, wiped everything down. It was so nasty I washed my hands after. The factory must be a dirty place.
2016-11-29
Use props
Les0167
lvl.1

United States

It would be hard for me to do, but I would send it back.
2016-11-29
Use props
Warrior200
lvl.3

United Kingdom

Mine arrived today all ok apart from no plastic film on the top of the controller it has it on the screen but still no scratches. That's not new.
2016-11-29
Use props
Schwavic
lvl.3

United States

Yeah, that's definitely not normal...
2016-11-29
Use props
8atU4uGb2cGi
lvl.3
Flight distance : 17651 ft
United States

i think you would call that factory seconds. (Not the best)
2016-11-29
Use props
Doctor Dave
lvl.1
Flight distance : 315 ft
United States

Send that mother back looks like a refurbished unit. And it was done badly.
  {:4_154:}
2016-11-29
Use props
kevinelliott
lvl.4
United States

R&L Aerial  Posted at 2016-11-29 09:36
I didn't want to say anything but when I received my combo everything was " dirty " as well. There w ...

Wow, sounds identical to me.
2016-11-29
Use props
Flybee
First Officer
Flight distance : 2203983 ft
Sweden

Things are only new until you get the first scratch and this looks very bad from start. It's painful but that is not acceptable I would say. Sorry
2016-11-29
Use props
fansbd42d019
lvl.2
Flight distance : 29406 ft
United States

I bought a refurbished Phantom 4. It was just like new - package and all. My Mavic combo just arrived and it was also in perfect condition. If mine arrived like that, I would make immediate arrangements to have it replaced. I think your pictures support your case and DJI would honor it. I would not activate it. I have had repairs done to a Gimble that was damaged by a crash that was my fault. DJI repaired it for free. They are a good company even though they have problems building their products on time.
2016-11-29
Use props
kevinelliott
lvl.4
United States

fansbd42d019 Posted at 2016-11-29 10:09
I bought a refurbished Phantom 4. It was just like new - package and all. My Mavic combo just arrive ...

I had one of my Inspires repaired (on my dime) and they were quick and reliable. 6 days to receive package, send it back, evaluated, estimate, paid, repaired, flight tested, QA, shipped, and received. That was impressive (and made me feel a little better considering I had to pay for it).
2016-11-29
Use props
Heavysledz
lvl.4
Flight distance : 819491 ft
United States

Before sending it back, I would try to inquire about the unit as they should have record of it by S/N that they can look up. That should tell them/you if it was ever activated or owned prior to you getting it.
Edit: Possibly they randomly pull one from the production line every XXX amount of units to test functionality/QC and this happens to be one of them. If that is the case and that is all they did, I would be comfortable with keeping it as it likely means it was fully tested and works correctly. But would definetly want confirmation that this is what in fact happened.
2016-11-29
Use props
Ethanflux
lvl.2
Flight distance : 450190 ft
  • >>>
United States

Was this purchased direct from DJI or a reseller?  If a reseller, maybe they played with it first or resold as it was returned.
2016-11-29
Use props
Heavysledz
lvl.4
Flight distance : 819491 ft
United States

Ethanflux Posted at 2016-11-29 12:31
Was this purchased direct from DJI or a reseller?  If a reseller, maybe they played with it first or ...

his initial post says he purchased it direct from dji on 9/29.
2016-11-29
Use props
Anoniem
lvl.4
Flight distance : 70043 ft
Netherlands

Feeling bad for you, I would also not activate this Mavic..
Was wondering, do you see any of these fibers in the camera lens?
2016-11-29
Use props
UAV Man
lvl.1
Flight distance : 4747 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Checked the flight log of the unit? Looks like is been 3d printed with cheap plastic... It's definitely NOT Inspire build quality.
2016-11-29
Use props
Zatx
Second Officer
Flight distance : 158166 ft
United States

Without a doubt, I would return this. To me, it looks like someone got this one, started it up and had errors, and RMA'd it back to the factory. They received it, couldn't find anything wrong, and shoved it back in the box and sent it to you.
2016-11-29
Use props
dana5
lvl.3
Flight distance : 14354 ft
United States

Check the flight logs, and see if it has been flown.
2016-11-29
Use props
Ethanflux
lvl.2
Flight distance : 450190 ft
  • >>>
United States

Heavysledz Posted at 2016-11-29 12:38
his initial post says he purchased it direct from dji on 9/29.

The ADD in me missed that.  
2016-11-29
Use props
stealle
lvl.3
Flight distance : 21827 ft
United States

Mine did not look like that. If you bought this from Best Buy down the street it would be an easy descision... just swap it out. Under the circumstances, it's a tough call. Who knows how long it would take to get another one. Bummer. I feel your pain.
2016-11-29
Use props
Petroboy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3681 ft
Canada

I'm gonna suggest that it is your Mother-In-Law messing with your head.  After she accepted the package, she opened up the packaging like a Ninja, threw in some dirt, and then shook the package around, before expertly re-sealing the packaging.  Mother-In-Laws (Mothers-In-Law?) are like that. {:4_181:}
2016-11-29
Use props
kevinelliott
lvl.4
United States

Heavysledz Posted at 2016-11-30 02:21
Before sending it back, I would try to inquire about the unit as they should have record of it by S/ ...

From my understanding, they are ALL flight tested and Q/A'd so this shouldn't be the reason.
2016-11-29
Use props
kevinelliott
lvl.4
United States

Ethanflux Posted at 2016-11-30 02:31
Was this purchased direct from DJI or a reseller?  If a reseller, maybe they played with it first or ...

I ordered direct.
2016-11-29
Use props
kevinelliott
lvl.4
United States

Anoniem Posted at 2016-11-30 02:56
Feeling bad for you, I would also not activate this Mavic..
Was wondering, do you see any of these  ...

Rubber cover is a little dirty, but due to the kind of material it is it likely collects lint easy. The plastic gimbal cover looked clean, and quick look at camera looked clean, but I didn't open the plastic cover to look closely.
2016-11-29
Use props
kevinelliott
lvl.4
United States

UAV Man Posted at 2016-11-30 02:58
Checked the flight log of the unit? Looks like is been 3d printed with cheap plastic... It's definit ...

Nope, haven't checked flight log. Haven't even powered it up yet. Waiting for a response from support first.

Agreed! The injection moulding does NOT look Inspire or Phantom quality. I suppose first time buyers are very impressed, but I'm not thrilled. My guess is this is how they can save some capital and increase the technology instead.
2016-11-29
Use props
kevinelliott
lvl.4
United States

dana5 Posted at 2016-11-30 03:04
Check the flight logs, and see if it has been flown.

I haven't powered it up, and I don't want to activate it until the matter is cleared. Pretty sure I have to activate it to check the flight logs, which then would probably clear any out? I know there is a master flight log that only DJI engineers can access though.
2016-11-29
Use props
Whoreable
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1775299 ft
United States

When I originally had some problems with my first Phantom 3 Advance, I sent it back to DJI. They sent me back a drone with half-missing stickers, and not packaged like the original, very loose.

Not only did they send me a "used" drone but it had the same exact issues I had sent it in for. I started another RMA immediately and wrote on the aircraft body in Sharpie marker "Fix me! This is the second time I have been in the shop for repairs and I am still broken!"

Needless to say, my drone was replaced with a brand new drone in packaging like the first. I think the Staff at DJI sometimes take personal offense to having to repair or replace drones, they do not meet the build or repair quality of newer units and almost like attacking users for sending it in for repairs, they sometimes send units that were previously used or in the junk bin and they just frankenstien them together.
2016-11-29
Use props
UAV Man
lvl.1
Flight distance : 4747 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

kevinelliott Posted at 2016-11-29 20:22
Nope, haven't checked flight log. Haven't even powered it up yet. Waiting for a response from supp ...

I've cancelled my Mavic after seeing a few issues and the delays... Going to see what next year brings, no rush as I'm moving from UK to Canada... I think you need to ask them to replace it ASAP. I've heard reports from others about refurbs been sent. Pretty sure DJI will just say return and send another one, then some other poor soul will get your returned refurb...
2016-11-29
Use props
Rick A
lvl.3
Flight distance : 3566 ft
Canada

I ordered the Mavic Combo in the early hours of Sept 28th and got it Nov 4th. It was very well packaged and I did not note any problems with the unit I received. Maybe did not look at it with the detail that you have, but did not note any scratches or other issues. Charged the batteries and flew it a couple of days later. Very stable aircraft, usually recalibrate the compass each and every time I fly. Have not been too many places with it yet, usually along the river near home but took it on a beach holiday and flew it along the ocean as well. Takes great video, still learning how to master cinema photography.
2016-11-29
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules