Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Mavic Camera - Edge Softness Question.
1901 13 2016-11-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
GarethIwanJones
lvl.1

United Kingdom

I've had my Mavic for the best part of a week. The drone itself is a lot of fun and seems to behave reasonably well. I do unfortunately have the dreaded edge softness issue that many people are experiencing. Mine is on the right edge of the image when focus is set to the centre.

Given that high numbers of customers have this issue, I'm wondering does anyone on this forum with a Mavic not have this soft edge problem? It seems to me to be a image processing issue or the camera's sensor not sitting flat. When the entire image is on the same focal plane, the softness moves around depending on where the focus point is set.  I appreciate this camera is not a high end DSLR but there is definitely something strange going on.

So I'm interested. Does anyone have a Mavic without this issue? In order to know this for sure you would need to fill the entire image with something on the same focal plane and perpendicular to the axis of the lens. For example pointed straight at a wall or straight down at a flat floor.

G
2016-11-30
Use props
Skint
lvl.1
New Zealand

The edge softness is also an issue people on the Osmo forum are experiencing. Be aware I sent my Osmo back for warranty based on this issue, almost 2 months now and it still isn't back.
2016-11-30
Use props
GarethIwanJones
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Skint Posted at 2016-11-30 10:46
The edge softness is also an issue people on the Osmo forum are experiencing. Be aware I sent my Osm ...

That's interesting, just had a quick scan of the Osmo forum. Couldn't see quite as many customers complaining about this issue as there are Mavic owners complaining.

The more I think about it the more I think it's the sensor not sitting flat, which would mean some Mavic's shouldn't have this problem. So very keen to see an image without this problem.

I have yet to speak to customer services about it. Will try and wait until demand slows down before returning. My workaround at the mo involves shooting multiple frames and compositing in photoshop.

2016-11-30
Use props
Skint
lvl.1
New Zealand

You will probably also find that due to the way video compression works any soft edges are really noticeable when you upload them to Youtube, when using the Osmo it's not so visible as there is a pile of icons on the sides of the live view.

I would guess it's something with the focusing optics and one side dragging and not moving smoothly in and out.
2016-11-30
Use props
GarethIwanJones
lvl.1

United Kingdom

I've just been scanning 4k Mavic Pro footage on youtube and it's noticeable on 2 of the 4 videos I watched. Funnily enough the Digital Rev footage quite clearly has this problem, although they don't seemed to have spotted it. Look at the right side of the bridge compared top the left in this 4k screen grab.

2016-11-30
Use props
Bobaloo
lvl.1
Flight distance : 42051 ft
United States

I remember seeing a youtube video of someone showing how to fix this with some kind of Mavic recalibration.  I forgot exactly what it was since I do not own a Mavic yet nor ordered one yet.  I'm still on the fence with it.
2016-11-30
Use props
GarethIwanJones
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Bobaloo Posted at 2016-11-30 11:33
I remember seeing a youtube video of someone showing how to fix this with some kind of Mavic recalib ...

I think you're talking about this video

His issue was severe, so severe that I'm not convinced it's the same problem. He had the majority if the frame out of focus and just the centre line in, much like a tilt & shift lens. I will try his steps this afternoon and report back.

G
2016-11-30
Use props
GarethIwanJones
lvl.1

United Kingdom

I've now tried all the steps in the above video and retested. Still have the same issues. I've tried to demonstrate the problem below, it's not precision scientific testing but you can see the problem.

And here are the 200% crops on those boxes

Weirdly if I set the Focus point to the bottom right it's the centre of the frame that will then go blurry. Super strange
2016-11-30
Use props
CamStevens
Second Officer

United States

GarethIwanJones Posted at 2016-11-30 08:38
I've now tried all the steps in the above video and retested. Still have the same issues. I've tried ...

That to me would suggest its a software problem, not a hardware problem, since it is possible to focus in all areas of the image (just not at the same time).  Maybe there's hope yet.
2016-11-30
Use props
GarethIwanJones
lvl.1

United Kingdom

CamStevens Posted at 2016-11-30 16:59
That to me would suggest its a software problem, not a hardware problem, since it is possible to f ...

I really hope it is a software issue but to me it seems like the sensor is not completely flat, that's why parts of the same focal plane running across the image are both in and out of focus. Much in the same way a tilt & shift lens works.
2016-11-30
Use props
pmk
New

United States

GarethIwanJones Posted at 2016-11-30 03:45
I think you're talking about this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYO5Xq-8KTQ&t=354s

His issue was severe, so severe that I'm not convinced it's the same problem. He had the majority if the frame out of focus and just the centre line in, much like a tilt & shift lens. I will try his steps this afternoon and report back.

This is the blurry clip. I make sure I'm focusing too.

Here is a clip that was in my office with just computer light and it seem as sharp as it should be.

What do you think I'm doing wrong?

Thanks
2016-12-18
Use props
dronesnz64
lvl.1
Flight distance : 101332 ft
New Zealand

Although us Mavic pilots spent a good deal of money on this drone, not all lenses, at least in the camera industry, are sharp edge-to-edge. They're not usually as bad as I've seen from some Mavic owners, but you either have to a) pay lots of money or b) be careful with your lens choices if you ever want edge-edge sharpness. You can mostly rectify this with a selective sharpening adjustment in either Photoshop or LR - I've attached images below to show. In Photoshop, draw a selection box around the area and use the Unsharpen Mask tool. In Lightroom, use the adjustment brush and then Sharpness + Noise adjustments. Examples below:

Straight out-of-camera, presumably with corrections

Straight out-of-camera, presumably with corrections

DNG, no adjustments

DNG, no adjustments

DNG, selective sharpening on right side

DNG, selective sharpening on right side

2017-1-21
Use props
dronesnz64
lvl.1
Flight distance : 101332 ft
New Zealand

From top to bottom:

JPEG (out-of-camera)
DNG RAW (no adjustments)
DNG RAW (Lightroom adjustment brush + sharpness (61) + noise (100)
2017-1-22
Use props
fanse17907b7
lvl.1
Flight distance : 107126 ft
France

dronesnz64 Posted at 2017-1-22 03:16
From top to bottom:

JPEG (out-of-camera)

mavic depuis quelques jours et aussi ce probleme, plus ou moins en fonction des vols, par contre essais mavic au sol et tout est ok, je pense a un probleme de vibrations, DJI doit etre au courant de ce probleme, car beaucoup de machines on ce defaut.
2017-1-31
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules