Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Why some buildings look slanted?
886 2 2016-11-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
jheng
New

Hong Kong

Hi guys,

I'm still quite new to the Mavic Pro, I've got close to 10 flights on it now.

I have noticed sometimes things in the drone footage are not really oriented the way I expect them to be, and I am wondering why, please help.

1) When I set the drone down on a basketball court, the foot of the wall where the wall joins the floor (about 10 meters away) is sloped/angled, rather than parallel and perfectly horizontal like I would expect the floor of a basketball court to be.

2) Have a look at the attached image, this is the International Finance Centre in Hong Kong, I had the drone at close to 400m high. It seems like the horizon looks fairly horizontal but why is the IFC building slanted?

Thanks for your help guys.
Untitled.jpg
2016-11-30
Use props
Nees
lvl.4
Flight distance : 80991 ft
Belgium

Welcome to photography.

This is normal, or you should be at the same level as the building on the left with your camera pointed straight forward to the middle of the building. Then it will be straight. The moment you have an angle, it will become to look like that.
2016-11-30
Use props
Gary Mac
lvl.4
Flight distance : 741683 ft
United States

1)  I would expect the same.  I'm going to be pretty critical of my horizon being level as it is a pet-peave of mine as a photographer.  I may use a situation like this to actually adjust my roll gimbal to make it level.  We'll see, I'm still a "waiter", so I don't have my drone in my hands yet.

2)  You have two things going on here:  First, I don't think the horizon is "level, at least not to my liking.  It looks slanted down on the right.  Not much, but not level.  Second, lens distortion will ALWAYS cause things to slant that are off-center of the frame.  Note the taller building in the background on the left.  It actually tilts the opposite direction (toward the left).  The appearance of the building in the foreground to be slightly tilted to the right comes from it being slightly off-center and is exacerbated by the horizon being slightly tilted to the right.  It is also being filmed at a slight off-set to the natural lines on the building which don't help.

So, if you manually adjust your horizon to look level while flying, square-up and photograph a building dead-center of the frame and SQAURE to the building itself, it should look perfectly straight.
Hope this makes sense!

Gary
2016-11-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules