Phantom 3 Advanced can't fly straight.
5122 36 2016-11-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Mr. Wh0
lvl.2

Denmark

Hi guys.

It's been a long time since I posted anything in here. The last time was about the tilted horizon on my Phantom 3 Advanced. (Witch I was never able to fix with any firmware/IMU cal.).
This time around I have to ask for help with my drones newest problem. It can't fly straight!

When I point the drone at an object using the absolute center on mt tablet, the drone will fly a subtle diagonal line to the right. Sometimes more than 10 meters to the right, per 100 meters forward.
This means that I always pass right side of the object I initially aimed at, if I continue only pressing forward.

I noticed this problem a short time after I purchased the drone, and no compass/IMU-calibration/firmware update have been able to fix it.
However, it is as if later firmware updates have made it worse.

I love my drone, but it does not get used much because it has become a burden to fly it while trying to perform good shots.
I had hope to be able to use it in "drone-class", which is an afternoon activity once a week my colleague and I, are running as an activity young people can sign up for. But I can't use it for making great examples of drone filming, since I can't control it properly.

I really hope someone can help me with a solution here, since I would like to use it in our education program.
Please remember, I have calibrated the IMU more than once. Standard compass calibration have been done many times, away from interference and metal objects. And firmware updates have not solved this problem.
So please. Don't mindlessly suggest the default answers as solutions, unless there is a specific reason to it.

Thank you all in advance.
- Mr. Who
2016-11-30
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Seems like the compass has not been calibrated correctly. Please do a cold IMU calibration followed by gimbal.
Then go outside to an open area away from any ferrous (magnetic) metal interference and do it again.

RedHotPoker
2016-11-30
Use props
Mr. Wh0
lvl.2

Denmark

RedHotPoker Posted at 2016-11-30 22:36
Seems like the compass has not been calibrated correctly. Please do a cold IMU calibration followed  ...

I like your humor. ;)
2016-11-30
Use props
PaulSouthport
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1448799 ft
United Kingdom

Did you calibrate the sticks?
2016-11-30
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Eh gee Thanks! I like to add a little light heartedness, even while discussing serious matters. ;-)

If you go to Edit then tap Additional Options in the lower left corner, you may delete your extra post... Ha

RedHotPoker

2016-11-30
Use props
KM5RG-Robert
First Officer
Flight distance : 2075213 ft
United States

You may also want to replay a flight where you noticed this and turn on the control input display and make sure there is no subtle input registering that would steer it right. You do this in the app. At the main screen (when the app starts), tap on the upper left icon and replay your flight there.
2016-11-30
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Could you please sync your flight records and provide me with your DJI email account?
I'll help to check it.
2016-11-30
Use props
Mr. Wh0
lvl.2

Denmark

DJI Mindy Posted at 2016-12-1 04:35
Could you please sync your flight records and provide me with your DJI email account?
I'll help to c ...

I will do that as soon as I got the time and it stops raining.
2016-11-30
Use props
endotherm
First Officer
Flight distance : 503241 ft

Australia

It sounds like your camera is pointing to the LEFT of your aircraft centreline.  If we can confirm that we may be able to come up with a solution.

Could you upload a flight record where the flight is off course, to Healthy Drones, and make sure you tick the "share csv" option, and share the link back here.  The record will contain the aircraft heading, and what direction the camera is facing.  Comparing the two values should give us an idea as to what is happening.  The camera heading changes all the time in flight as a normal consequence of the gimbal steadying the shot; how much it changes or if it is favouring one side could indicate a problem.
2016-12-1
Use props
Mr. Wh0
lvl.2

Denmark

endotherm Posted at 2016-12-1 14:59
It sounds like your camera is pointing to the LEFT of your aircraft cenreline.  If we can confirm th ...

I have thought about the possibility of the camera pointing slightly to the left. It might be it.
2016-12-2
Use props
Mr. Wh0
lvl.2

Denmark

DJI Mindy Posted at 2016-12-1 04:35
I'll help to c ...

What would you like me to do exactly?
2016-12-2
Use props
Mr. Wh0
lvl.2

Denmark

endotherm Posted at 2016-12-1 14:59
It sounds like your camera is pointing to the LEFT of your aircraft cenreline.  If we can confirm th ...

Here you go.Completely still weather. No Wind.
http://healthydrones.com/main?share=iVXmrW

This one is from another day:
http://healthydrones.com/main?share=AfgREX

Here you can see that the drone sometimes want to rotate to the right, when it's ideling. It does seem like the camera is turned slightly to the left?:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/ ... FU/view?usp=sharing

2016-12-2
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Looking at the video clip, it seems to me that it is flying relatively straight. And given that you are not flying between two distinct and geographically defined points, I don't think there is anything wrong with it. After all, it is just a radio controlled aircraft, you actually have to fly it and make corrections along the way.

If you want it to fly in a straight line between two very accurate points, then use the waypoint feature and it will fly dead straight between them.
2016-12-2
Use props
Mr. Wh0
lvl.2

Denmark

Geebax Posted at 2016-12-2 22:11
Looking at the video clip, it seems to me that it is flying relatively straight. And given that you  ...

It is indeed flying straight in the video. Somewhat.. I am just being honest. Giving you a new video instead of nitpicking something that is really bad.At 0:27. It's not me who is making it rotating clockwise. The drone is doing it by itself. And sometimes it does that while flying stright.
Sometimes it's really bad. This time it wanted to go more to the left when I wanted to fly stright.The other problem is that I can't seem to aim at a thing and fly straight to it.

2016-12-2
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Mr. Wh0 Posted at 2016-12-3 10:19
It is indeed flying straight in the video. Somewhat.. I am just being honest. Giving you a new vide ...

OK, then the only thing I can suggest is to calibrate the RC sticks and see if that helps. If that does not help, then perhaps a new compass unit might solve the problem. They are not expensive, I think a set of legs with the compass built-in are about $20
2016-12-2
Use props
endotherm
First Officer

Australia

Mr. Wh0 Posted at 2016-12-3 06:26
Here you go.Completely still weather. No Wind.
http://healthydrones.com/main?share=iVXmrW[/backcolo ...

Based on the first entry, the camera looks like it is behaving perfectly.  On average, your compass_heading(degrees) was 225.1697192°, whereas your gimbal_heading(degrees) was 225.5189744°.  So the camera was favouring pointing clockwise (RIGHT) by about 0.3°.

The second record returns an average heading of 135.5796267° with the camera facing 133.3147736°, so around 2.2° CCW (LEFT).

These are subtle variances and quite normal, well within the range of normal operation.  So we can conclude the camera is not misaligned.

When the aircraft rotates, the camera also rotates (yaws) somewhat to smooth the transition.  Once the turn is complete, the camera skew needs to "unwind" and reset to straight ahead in preparation for another turn.  This reset is slow so as to not be too obvious.  If you are actively looking for them with a line drawn down the middle of the screen, they will be obvious .   These turns could also be in response to wind conditions.  I think this is what we are seeing in your video and I suspect your aircraft is behaving perfectly normal.
2016-12-2
Use props
Mr. Wh0
lvl.2

Denmark

endotherm Posted at 2016-12-3 08:38
Based on the first entry, the camera looks like it is behaving perfectly.  On average, your compass ...

"Once the turn is complete, the camera skew needs to "unwind""

If you look at the video, you will see that it does not do it when I do it counterclockwise. Also note that when i aline it back with small counterclockwise nudges, it does not drift the same way to the left, but goes back to drift to the right (clockwise).
It only happens some times, and I suspect it's what it's doing in flight while moving.

Something else is that I feel the camera is pointing ever so slightly to the left. The objects does not grow the same "rate" on each side of the red mid-line.I know the numbers indicate normal operation. But is it possible that the arm/mounting plate it self can mounted at an angle, resulting in the system assuming that the arm was pointing straight to begin with, but in reality it not pointing stright when it think it does?

Regarding the tilted horizon. Somebody suggested, that this could be a solution:

What do you guys think?
2016-12-3
Use props
Hawks100
lvl.4
Flight distance : 134580 ft
United Kingdom

Your camera does a strange dance when turned on. Have you had any harsh landings or a crash?.?
2016-12-3
Use props
Kneepuck
Second Officer
Flight distance : 275105 ft
United States

You may want to try a different set of props as well.
2016-12-3
Use props
Mr. Wh0
lvl.2

Denmark

Hawks100 Posted at 2016-12-3 21:12
Your camera does a strange dance when turned on. Have you had any harsh landings or a crash?.?

Where do you see the weird dance?

No crashes. No accidents.
2016-12-3
Use props
Mr. Wh0
lvl.2

Denmark

Kneepuck Posted at 2016-12-3 21:23
You may want to try a different set of props as well.

I did swap propellers this summer. But it seems that it did not do a difference. Maybe both sets is a bit unbalanced?
2016-12-3
Use props
endotherm
First Officer

Australia

Mr. Wh0 Posted at 2016-12-4 04:59
"Once the turn is complete, the camera skew needs to "unwind""

If you look at the video, you will  ...

Try setting up a waypoint mission to a single waypoint in the distance, like a tree or a tower. Align the aircraft in a hover to the target using the camera crosshairs, then activate the mission.  The aircraft will fly as straight as an arrow to this point, you will able to see if the camera deviates from the aircraft's course.
2016-12-3
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

Mr. Wh0 Posted at 2016-12-3 02:16
What would you like me to do exactly?

Sorry for the late reply.
After re-calibrate the compass and IMU, you still have the same issue, right?
Is your DJI account email the same as forum account email?
Please sync the flight records from DJI GO.
2016-12-4
Use props
Mr. Wh0
lvl.2

Denmark

DJI Mindy Posted at 2016-12-5 08:50
Sorry for the late reply.
After re-calibrate the compass and IMU, you still have the same issue, right?
Is your DJI account email the same as forum account email?

Back when I last did the IMU and compass calibration, the problem remained the same. But the level of the problem is differents each time.
Yes the emails is the same. I have uploaded the files from recent flights.
By the way, I have just recently updated my drone to the newest fri. I have yet too test the drone with the new configuration.
2016-12-6
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

Mr. Wh0 Posted at 2016-12-7 03:11
Back when I last did the IMU and compass calibration, the problem remained the same. But the level of the problem is differents each time.
Yes the emails is the same. I have uploaded the files from recent flights.
By the way, I have just recently updated my drone to the newest fri. I have yet too test the drone with the new configuration.

I've checked your flight records on 2016/12/06.
I can't see the issue you described.
Besides, have you tried to do a RC calibration?
2016-12-7
Use props
Mr. Wh0
lvl.2

Denmark

DJI Mindy Posted at 2016-12-7 10:51

I did not fly on that date?

RC as in remote control? No I don't think I've ever done that.
2016-12-8
Use props
AG0N-Gary
First Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

Mr. Wh0 Posted at 2016-12-2 12:15
I have thought about the possibility of the camera pointing slightly to the left. It might be it.

"I have thought about the possibility of the camera pointing slightly to the left."

I'm guessing it is just that.  Mine is the same way and has been for a very long time.  I just fly it and have fun, but it is a bit frustrating to fly directly toward something and have it obviously flying to the right of it.  If you're lucky, you can loosen the azimuth locking screw and carefully relock it after rotating the camera on the shaft slightly to correct it.  The problem is, the screw hits the flat side of the shaft, forcing it back where it was as you tighten it.  A little expert drimal tool work might help make some progress.
2016-12-9
Use props
Mr. Wh0
lvl.2

Denmark

DJI Mindy Posted at 2016-12-7 10:51

Hey Mindy. I did not fly on that date?
2016-12-12
Use props
Mr. Wh0
lvl.2

Denmark

AG0N-Gary Posted at 2016-12-10 02:32
"I have thought about the possibility of the camera pointing slightly to the left."

I'm guessing it is just that.  Mine is the same way and has been for a very long time.  I just fly it and have fun, but it is a bit frustrating to fly directly toward something and have it obviously flying to the right of it.  If you're lucky, you can loosen the azimuth locking screw and carefully relock it after rotating the camera on the shaft slightly to correct it.  The problem is, the screw hits the flat side of the shaft, forcing it back where it was as you tighten it.  A little expert drimal tool work might help make some progress.

Imagine the problems you would have resolving potential problems, if it has been documented that you have been "screwing" around, in our drone.
2016-12-12
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

Mr. Wh0 Posted at 2016-12-12 21:41
Hey Mindy. I did not fly on that date?

Sorry for the late reply and wrong date input, Mr. Wh0.
It's on 2016/12/02.
2016-12-12
Use props
AG0N-Gary
First Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

Mr. Wh0 Posted at 2016-12-12 08:52
Imagine the problems you would have resolving potential problems, if it has been documented that you have been "screwing" around, in our drone.

This comment makes no sense to me.  Just what do you mean?  Other people have done just what I said and fixed the problem.  For those who doubt the problems, if you turn on both sets of crosshairs, you will end up with an X in the middle of the image.  By flying forward ONLY, you should go directly to the point behind the center of the X.  Mine flies to the right of that point.  Forget about wind.  I've done it going both directions with crosswinds, and the result is the same.  As I said, others have fixed the issue, but it is a PIB to do.  I've watched videos from people who don't have the problem, and it really makes a difference.
2016-12-14
Use props
betson
lvl.2

Australia

I had two P3 advanced come with a dodgy compass.  The drone was not flying straight, had toilet bowl effect (would just circle with no control input) lose compass during yaw turns and the same point.

I was told to fly the drone around to get used to the environment. I said that was not acceptable and sent drone back, the unit came back with no issues found, and same problem existed.  Sent unit back to retailer and got a replacement, and yep compass errors straight out of the box on the second unit.
Ironically I was told the compass on my first drone has been replaced and I exchanged my 2nd drone for my now repaired first drone.  Which funnily enough now works brilliantly.
Lots of time and resources were wasted when a simple compass replacement would have sorted the problem out first time I sent it in.
Get your compass looked at is my suggestion, especially if you get any compass errors during yaw turns.
2016-12-14
Use props
Sebas0911
lvl.3
Flight distance : 152024 ft

Canada

Hey Mr.Who i exactly know what you have as problem cuz i have the same one with my phantom 3 advanced. It seems like no one understand what you try to show in the video and to explain but me i have seen clearly seen it maybe bcuz i have the same problem with my bird. If you find a solution please write it here cuz even dji dont have a solution and they dont even see it when i show them a video of it. Ill do the same if i find bfor you ;) thanks!!  
2016-12-14
Use props
fansafbb1dcf
lvl.2

United Kingdom

I have very similar problem, mines steers to the left while flying forward which just ruins your shots... After wasting 3/4 days trying to get shots that should've taken a few minutes I've pretty much given up on the P3A now...

Mine started with f/w 1.4 and has got worse and worse ever since... Was spot on with the original f/w.
2016-12-15
Use props
Mr. Wh0
lvl.2

Denmark

AG0N-Gary Posted at 2016-12-14 20:45
This comment makes no sense to me.  Just what do you mean?  Other people have done just what I said and fixed the problem.  For those who doubt the problems, if you turn on both sets of crosshairs, you will end up with an X in the middle of the image.  By flying forward ONLY, you should go directly to the point behind the center of the X.  Mine flies to the right of that point.  Forget about wind.  I've done it going both directions with crosswinds, and the result is the same.  As I said, others have fixed the issue, but it is a PIB to do.  I've watched videos from people who don't have the problem, and it really makes a difference.

My point being that, I could end up being rejected by DJI, if there turns out to be another problem.
They could end up blaming me for the problems, if I start taking stuff apart.
2016-12-16
Use props
Mr. Wh0
lvl.2

Denmark

Sebas0911 Posted at 2016-12-15 04:21
Hey Mr.Who i exactly know what you have as problem cuz i have the same one with my phantom 3 advanced. It seems like no one understand what you try to show in the video and to explain but me i have seen clearly seen it maybe bcuz i have the same problem with my bird. If you find a solution please write it here cuz even dji dont have a solution and they dont even see it when i show them a video of it. Ill do the same if i find bfor you ;) thanks!!

I will look into some potential solutions.
2016-12-16
Use props
Mr. Wh0
lvl.2

Denmark

fansafbb1dcf Posted at 2016-12-15 11:44
I have very similar problem, mines steers to the left while flying forward which just ruins your shots... After wasting 3/4 days trying to get shots that should've taken a few minutes I've pretty much given up on the P3A now...

Mine started with f/w 1.4 and has got worse and worse ever since... Was spot on with the original f/w.

The problem for me is consistent data. The problem varies on the go. It's never the same anymore...
2016-12-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules