972 4 2016-11-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans628b7609
lvl.2
Flight distance : 234948 ft
  • >>>
Australia

So i thought i would start a bit of a blog post about the whole DJI repair process as there isn't much on here. So some background on what happened:

I took my Mavic Pro up for it's first flight on Tuesday at lunchtime at a nearby park. After flying for about 14 mins and having a absolute ball i flew the aircraft a bit to close between two trees. I tried to turn the aircraft but the forward momentum pretty much led it to hug a tree branch. Unfortunately for me it was one of those reedy type trees we have in Australia and the propellers once they hit pretty much sucked the craft into the branch. I want to stress that this is pilot error, i've been flying Phantoms and an Inspire 1 for a while now and one rule i use is never go near trees BUT i didn't properly gauge my distancea and the above happened.

The motors shutdown due to obstruction and by the time i could run to the tree to catch the aircraft it fell from the branch and landed upside down about 1.5 meters onto the grass. When i got to the aircraft the gimbal was completely broken but the wires were still connected. The aicraft could still power on and work but sadly no gimble though i could still see a picture. So head down i go back to work and send a email to support@dji.com and below is where i am at, FYI i did purchase DJI Care Refresh for this the day before and activated (thank god!)

29/11/2016 - I was greeted by Alice from the support team, she was nice in her emails. Asked me to send her some details on what happened, invoice and purhcase details and sync my flight to the cloud. They will analyse the flight data and do a warranty repair, out of warranty repair or process through Care Refresh. By this time i'm feeling a bit better.
29/11/2016 - Advised flight log uploaded and invoice sent.
30/11/2016 - About 24 hours later i receive a emails with my case number, i also get emails from TNT to advise pickup has been arrange for the following day 01/12/2016. also they confirmed to send the Aircraft and Controller in the original box, also pack the original box into another box so it can be returned.
01/12/2016 - TNT have picked up the aircraft and it's on it's way to DJi in Melbourne for analsys and repair.

The Mavic is a great little drone, i was doing some really nice low level flying across the park with zero input to keep it at the same altitude. I even managed to get on film some parachuters coming down at Wollongong. Camera is great and i assign C1 to auto focus seemed fine. Only problem was the local birds were not too happy so i had to keep it low and close in case one wanted to have a go at it. Now i wait and see what happens, i'm prepared to pay for the repairs of course or use the DJI Care Refresh. So far this is my first dealing with the support team and it's been great, hoping to have the bird back before xmas so i can capture some nice footage over the holiday break. May also purchase a second unit in new year as they are a great little drone.

I'll update here on any additional progress in coming days.

2016-11-30
Use props
Auspete
lvl.4
Flight distance : 6939 ft
  • >>>
Australia

I had exactly the same experience with DJI Support but involving my P4. I couldn't have asked for a better or more timely response. Currently waiting for the repair but I'm very optimistic.
2016-11-30
Use props
fans628b7609
lvl.2
  • >>>
Australia

Auspete Posted at 2016-12-1 13:17
I had exactly the same experience with DJI Support but involving my P4. I couldn't have asked for a  ...

Auspete when did you send yours in? As i know i will be paying my gauge is goign to be around turn around time.
2016-11-30
Use props
Auspete
lvl.4
Flight distance : 6939 ft
  • >>>
Australia

fans628b7609 Posted at 2016-12-1 14:40
Auspete when did you send yours in? As i know i will be paying my gauge is goign to be around turn ...

Sent off 22/11
2016-12-1
Use props
fans628b7609
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

Okay update on RMA:

02/12/2016 - Item received by DJI repair center in Melbourne.
06/12/2016 - DJI send official product received email.
07/12/2016 - DJi commence damage assessment
08/12/2016 - Receive quote for repair, cost is $90 all up, even through i snapped the camera from the gimbal. Below is the description of what was found, mind you i already accepted pilot error on this one:

Gimbal P, R and Y axis motors deformed. SN may change after repair. Flight test will be performed. ************************** FLY006 1) Aircraft worked in GPS mode and responded to RC command perfectly. 2) Pilot was pushing pitch stick 72% forward and rudder stick 100% to the left, which caused aircraft crashed with obstacles while flying right-front at 3 meters height. The crash point is 43 meters far away from home point. Conclusion: Pilot fault. *************************** Dear customer, you have purchased DJI Care Refresh. If you want to replace your aircraft under DJI Care Refresh, please contact DJI Support and get your refresh quotation.

So happy so far, paid the $90 straight away so now awaiting confirmation of repairs done and ship back to me. Glad it is getting repaired as the aircraft flew flawlessly on the day.
2016-12-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules