Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
All most crashed
934 14 2016-12-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fansd7cdfcb5
lvl.1
United States

[Latest firmware, calibrated compass (correctly)] On about my 10th flight 15 minutes into it I loss GPS signal and it stated to toilet bowl. It showed 17 satellites but the status bar was in the red. It also gave me a compass failure warning. From reading the forums I see that this is a common problem. I have flown other DJI products in the same area without a problem. My question is, should I send it back for repair, or just wait for a recall...This was the response from support. "Before, you start flying the unit please always perform the Calibration of IMU and Compass" So my fold up, easy to transport, fast to set up drone, just became more of a project to fly than my P3 ?
2016-12-2
Use props
Warrior200
lvl.3

United Kingdom

I didn't know you had to do an imu calibration every time I thought it was only when prompted ? Have I missed something.
2016-12-2
Use props
fansea1e504f
lvl.1

United States

Warrior200 Posted at 2016-12-3 01:56
I didn't know you had to do an imu calibration every time I thought it was only when prompted ? Have ...

you don't have to ,and you should not do a imu calibration every time.
2016-12-2
Use props
Mir
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2718491 ft
  • >>>
United States

This is clearly a common problem.. I see threads like this everyday now. I wonder if this is a hardware issue or software? DJI any answers yet?
2016-12-2
Use props
Warrior200
lvl.3

United Kingdom

fansea1e504f Posted at 2016-12-2 17:58
you don't have to ,and you should not do a imu calibration every time.

So when do I calibrate the imu, I know the compass tells you to calibrate I'm a little confused by this I'm planning on taking my mavic out for its first flight tomorrow.
2016-12-2
Use props
Danny-B-
lvl.4
Flight distance : 306640 ft
United Kingdom

Warrior200 Posted at 2016-12-2 18:04
So when do I calibrate the imu, I know the compass tells you to calibrate I'm a little confused by ...

You should calibrate the compass on the first use, after firmware upgrade and if asked by the app ... deffo not before every flight !

The IMU should only need calibrated if the app asks you to do so, or your mavic isnt behaving.
2016-12-2
Use props
CamStevens
lvl.4

United States

Were you using sport mode at any time during the flight?  I have seen other threads where there is a hypothesis that this might be leading to dropping out of GPS mode.
2016-12-2
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

I'm sorry for your experience, please sync your flight records and provide your email address and I will take a look at your flight.
Also, call 818-235-0789 and start a case and upload the DAT file of the flight to Dropbox and include it with your ticket.
did you calibrate the compass before your flight or had you not calibrated it since it was new and last calibration before your first flight?
If you calibrated before this last flight then I think they're may have been some interference.
It's a very isolated incident so there is absolutely no reason for a recall.

And can you post the response from support, they should not have told you to calibrate the IMU or compass every time.
The IMU is calibrated in an controlled environment at the factory and does not require it unless the GP app says to calibrate.
And the compass should be calibrated the first time you fly it and does not require it again unless the app tell you to calibrate.

So, from reading your post I think you calibrated the compass before this flight and it may not have been in an interference free area. Also, when you calibrate the compass make sure no metal is around and also no metal on your person (keys, phone, watch, belt,) and do not hold the RC/phone in your hand when you calibrate, set them on the ground several feet away.
2016-12-2
Use props
Warrior200
lvl.3

United Kingdom

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-12-2 18:38
I'm sorry for your experience, please sync your flight records and provide your email address and I  ...

Cheers ken for the info
2016-12-2
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

Warrior200 Posted at 2016-12-2 11:56
Cheers ken for the info

No problem at all.
2016-12-2
Use props
Tnap22
lvl.3
  • >>>
Canada

Warrior200 Posted at 2016-12-2 09:56
I didn't know you had to do an imu calibration every time I thought it was only when prompted ? Have ...

I only do it when its prompted.
2016-12-2
Use props
BrandonA614
lvl.2
Flight distance : 813593 ft
United States

That's exactly what happened to me last night only I wasn't able to recover. It's on the way back to DJI now. Something interesting I've noticed is the app lost the GPS around 200 feet from where the drone crashed, but if you upload the flight data, it shows the full GPS path. It's like the quad had connection, but the app didn't recognize it. Very odd. I'm just happy to know I'm not alone.
2016-12-2
Use props
Drunken Drone 9
lvl.1
United States

CamStevens Posted at 2016-12-2 13:33
Were you using sport mode at any time during the flight?  I have seen other threads where there is a ...

Nope, no sport mode
2016-12-2
Use props
Drunken Drone 9
lvl.1
United States

Tip: The post by the administrator or moderators shield
2016-12-2
Use props
Drunken Drone 9
lvl.1
United States