Aircraft crashed. Waiting for analysis.
2496 32 2016-11-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fansd723a998
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1557398 ft
United States

I had not flown my P3P for a few months. With the trees changing color, I thought I would go out on a nice calm day and view the fall foliage.

I have well over one hundred flights on the bird. I had flown cheaper drones before the P3P, I build my own racing drones and am a licensed power and glider pilot so I am not a newbie. I put in a battery that has 95% capacity and was charged to 100 per cent.

I took off, checked its stability in the air and climbed to about 30 or 40 meters and a distance of about 100 meters when the bird started to descend and would not respond to vertical thrust commands.

Horizontal response was weak, possibly because the motors or power to the motors was minimal. I was able to bring it home and land it. I shut the battery, remote and software down and restarted. The battery was at 86 per cent. I took off again. The same thing started to happen only it descended more rapidly and crashed into a tree.

There were no errors reported on screen the whole time and the flight lasted less than four minutes.

The drone was damaged and I opened a case with DJI and sent it in along with the battery that was used. The drone has five months left on the warranty. I received my response today from DJI. There was no explanation as to the cause of the crash. Just a bill for $169.50 and a notation in the remarks column stating, "Non-Warranty. Impact Damages Not Caused By Firmware Issues."

I don't know how to respond or argue about this but somehow this is not right. I have viewed this forum before buying my Phantom. My experience has told me that most of the posts I read regarding crashes are the result of pilot error. I don't know how this could have been avoided or what the problem was but this bird simply did not respond to the remote with enough juice in the battery to last better than 3 minutes.

I don't feel like fighting or posting rants about DJI. All I know is that this leaves a very bad taste in my mouth. If necessary I will have it fixed at my expense, but it will be the last DJI product I buy. It is such a shame as the Mavic is enticing and something I would consider for a future purchase, but that is not likely to happen anymore.

2016-11-30
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Sorry for your crash.
Could you please provide me with your case number?
Our engineers can help to analyze your flight data.  And I'll help to look into your case.
2016-11-30
Use props
fansd723a998
lvl.3
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 2016-12-1 10:35
Sorry for your crash.
Our engineers can help to  ...

Thank you in advance for your help. The case number is CAS-332716-C6T0D6.
2016-11-30
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

fansd723a998 Posted at 2016-12-1 10:41
Thank you in advance for your help. The case number is CAS-332716-C6T0D6.

Thanks. I've passed your case to our related team.
They will help to analyze the flight data.
If you have any further query, please feel free to let me know.  In order to follow up your case, can I edit your topic?

2016-11-30
Use props
fansd723a998
lvl.3
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 2016-12-1 10:35
Sorry for your crash.
Our engineers can help to  ...

I received an email request for information. I filled it out as best as I could. The first flight is recorded and shows that the drone was descending even when the left stick was pushed upward. The second flight does not have a record for some reason and I don't know why but the behavior of the drone was the same only the flight was shorter and I also used RTH which is set to 70 meters.

Please review the info and help me if possible.

Thank you.
2016-11-30
Use props
fansd723a998
lvl.3
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 2016-12-1 10:59
If  ...

You can edit the topic. The question is to what? Should we say that "I Am Not Yet Sure About DJI?"
2016-11-30
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

fansd723a998 Posted at 2016-12-1 11:26
I received an email request for information. I filled it out as best as I could. The first flight  ...

Thank you for your cooperation.
After the analysis, they will let you know the result.
2016-11-30
Use props
Betamace
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2133 ft
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 2016-12-1 10:59
If  ...

DJI Mindy - In a case such as this one, the analysis has been made,  the repair estimate has been made and once paid, the repair is done.

Is there any guarantee the issue that resulted in the crash has actually been corrected?

Will the repaired product be thoroughly tested to insure the completeness and integrity of the repair? I would expect the serviced product to be as airworthy as the day it left the factory.  
2016-11-30
Use props
Normn8or
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1466611 ft
United States

Betamace Posted at 2016-11-30 22:41
DJI Mindy - In a case such as this one, the analysis has been made,  the repair estimate has been m ...

Sad to say but everywhere i read here problems start after Firmware updates, go through the list of what app you running, is it 3.1, what version you have (Which even from the box never shown what version i have it was always blank) is there interference change your location Roll back to previous  app (1.6.0) Uninstall DJI go app and reinstall DJI Go app, Re-Link controller to the Quadcopter, Oh your going to have to send it in to be evaluated. You here from them and then find out you owe them X amount or you don't see your bird again. Definitely a followable pattern here.
2016-11-30
Use props
Betamace
lvl.4
United States

Normn8or Posted at 2016-12-1 13:55
Sad to say but everywhere i read here problems start after Firmware updates, go through the list o ...
Bogus warrantee.......
Yep, I sent my 6 week old P3 in for repairs because it constantly had compass errors since the last update and only when turning clockwise.

Yeah, I had to hard land it to prevent a fly-away and now they are billing me $121 for a new center board and two landing legs that were not damaged.

Uh huh, they better come up with proof the compass issue is fixed because I have a 5 month long winter here in Pa and don't mind shipping it back every month on their tab.

Oh, my case number is  CAS-327865-B4J8P5
2016-11-30
Use props
Normn8or
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1466611 ft
United States

Betamace Posted at 2016-12-1 00:17
Bogus warrantee.......
Yep, I sent my 6 week old P3 in for repairs because it constantly had compass ...

I will not send mine in. And Anybody gets to read this *DON'T UPDATE YOUR BIRD EVER* take it out of the box and just fly it, it will be trouble free and everything will remain working. My bird has never crashed and i have never landed it, I prefer to hand catch it. when you land it the landing gear is so short that you may set the camera down right on top of a 1 and a half inch rock into which you will be told to send it in to be evaluated.
2016-11-30
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

Betamace Posted at 2016-12-1 14:17
Bogus warrantee.......
Yep, I sent my 6 week old P3 in for repairs because it constantly had compass ...

Hi Betamace, after the repair, your aircraft will be thoroughly tested.
I've checked your case. After the analysis, if you have any query, please feel free to let me know.
I'll help to look into it.
2016-11-30
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

DJI Mindy Posted at 2016-12-1 18:40
I've checked your case. Af ...

Mindy, every day we see the same thing from you and your fellow workers, urging people to send the aircraft in to be analysed, but there is never any analysis returned to the owner. Your people never report back telling them what happened. All they get is either a bill for repair with some nebulous reason given or it may be replaced with another used aircraft.

Tell me this, why should anyone listen to you, or do what you say when you do not deliver any explanation to the owner?
2016-12-1
Use props
Betamace
lvl.4
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 2016-12-1 15:40

Indeed I will.
2016-12-1
Use props
endotherm
Second Officer
Flight distance : 503241 ft

Australia

Upload the flight record from your device to Phantomhelp or Healthydrones  and share the result back here.  Other flyers on the forum can analyse the flight and perhaps give a reason as to why it behaved the way it did.  This is independent from DJI's analysis, which is generally quite short and inconclusive.

From your initial observations, it seems the aircraft was in RTH or autolanding, and less power is available to maneuver, but it is available.  The landing will continue with a purpose, and you may seem to be fighting it all the way.  We will need to look at the state of the battery and see if that had anything to do with it.
2016-12-1
Use props
fansd723a998
lvl.3
United States

Betamace Posted at 2016-12-1 12:41
DJI Mindy - In a case such as this one, the analysis has been made,  the repair estimate has been m ...

This was also bothering me. When it came down to it the problem appeared to be that the bird was not getting power even though the battery lights and app showed plenty of juice. How do I know if it gets repaired either under warranty or at my own cost, that this issue that actually caused the crash has been fixed. It is not enough to repair the damage from the crash.
2016-12-1
Use props
Betamace
lvl.4
United States

fansd723a998 Posted at 2016-12-1 23:03
This was also bothering me. When it came down to it the problem appeared to be that the bird was n ...

That is exactly my concern. It's easy to assume everything will be fine once the quoted repairs have been done and yes, perhaps the new center board will in actuality negate the root problem which amazingly appeared only after the latest firmware was installed. However, my liability for personal or property damage resulting from a glitch in firmware is nothing to be lightly considered. Considering that I was billed for the repair or replacement of damaged components after the fact reeks of DJI's lack of accountabilty.
I digress....
2016-12-1
Use props
Betamace
lvl.4
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 2016-12-1 15:40

DJI Mindy,  I have just been informed that CAS-327865-B4J8P5 repair has been completed. As per your forum thread reply #12 of 12/01/2016,  I request the following information to satisfy my interest in this case:

A. Documentation of the steps taken to effect said repair.

B. Written verification that CAS-327865-B4J8P5 has been determined by DJI Technical Support and affiliates to be in safe and proper operating condition. Nothing less.

Once I review the requested articles authenticating DJI compliance in this matter, I will gladly respond by closing any and all pending actions I may have initiated in this case.

Thank you.
2016-12-1
Use props
DINGO DOWN UNDA
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3058816 ft
Australia

Betamace Posted at 2016-12-2 06:36
DJI Mindy,  I have just been informed that CAS-327865-B4J8P5 repair has been completed. As per your ...

Dont lose any sleep waiting for a reply. In saying that the reply from DJI-Mindy will be very interesting!!...Cheers mate!
2016-12-1
Use props
Pieterpreller
New

South Africa

MY P3A ALSO WENT OUT OF CONTROL AND CRASHED I HAVE 1028 HOURS FLIGHT TIME. AFTER THE UPGRADE LOST SIGNAL , NO CONTROL OVER THE SEA.....GRRRRRR
2016-12-1
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

Betamace Posted at 2016-12-2 04:36
DJI Mindy,  I have just been informed that CAS-327865-B4J8P5 repair has been completed. As per your forum thread reply #12 of 12/01/2016,  I request the following information to satisfy my interest in this case:

A. Documentation of the steps taken to effect said repair.

Sorry for the late reply.
I've brought your request to our related team.
They will follow up it.
2016-12-5
Use props
fansd723a998
lvl.3
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 2016-12-1 11:41
Thank you for your cooperation.
After the analysis, they will let you know the result.

I haven't heard anything other than an email on November 30th that said they were looking at it. How long does this process take?
2016-12-5
Use props
Betamace
lvl.4
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 2016-12-5 16:59
Sorry for the late reply.
I've brought your request to our related team.
They will follow up it.

Thanks Mindy.

2016-12-5
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

fansd723a998 Posted at 2016-12-6 05:27
I haven't heard anything other than an email on November 30th that said they were looking at it. How long does this process take?

We had provided you the update of the data analysis via email. Please check it.
2016-12-6
Use props
fansd723a998
lvl.3
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 2016-12-7 10:12
We had provided you the update of the data analysis via email. Please check it.

I read the analysis and I realize that the accident was my fault. I did try to unlock the restricted zone but noe realize that it was not confirmed so the aircraft automatically landed. I am glad for the analysis as it answers any questions I had.

I paid the repair bill last night and was surprised to see that when I checked today it was finished so I hope to have it soon. I think the bill is quite reasonable and the free shipping is very helpful. The online system is also easy to use.

I am not happy about the crash, but I do think DJI has come a long way as regards their service system and turnaround time. As I said in my first post, most everything I read about crashes is either pilot error or panicking when something isn't going right. This was my error and I need to learn to handle the restricted zone issue better.

Thank you for your help.
2016-12-7
Use props
Betamace
lvl.4
United States

I got my P3S back from being serviced late today. Although, it is not my original P3S that I sent in.

They gave me both a different RC and AC that have different serial numbers. On the basis of their analysis, they were supposed to replace the center board and both landing legs for which I paid a total of $121. The tiny spots of clear nail polish that I placed on the upper and lower shells, camera and gimbal and my FAA registration stickers are all gone. All I have that are original are the accessories including the battery and SD card that I did not ship.

In one way, I feel fortunate since all the expensive components have been swapped out in entirety and after a bench test performed in my home, all the components are operable and no suggestion to activate or update firmware is shown in the GO app main page. Yet as with my original kit, the firmware version is still not shown in the GO app About page. If the weather permits, I will flight test it tomorrow just to be sure all is well.

Thanks.  

2016-12-7
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

fansd723a998 Posted at 2016-12-8 05:36
I read the analysis and I realize that the accident was my fault. I did try to unlock the restricted zone but noe realize that it was not confirmed so the aircraft automatically landed. I am glad for the analysis as it answers any questions I had.

I paid the repair bill last night and was surprised to see that when I checked today it was finished so I hope to have it soon. I think the bill is quite reasonable and the free shipping is very helpful. The online system is also easy to use.

You are welcome.
Hopefully you'll be back in the air very soon. :-)
2016-12-7
Use props
BillW50
lvl.3

United States

fansd723a998 Posted at 2016-12-7 15:36

I too have been flying for decades and I trust my flying abilities and I would be pretty upset if my Phantom started doing its own thing. And when I started to read this thread, the first thing I thought of was it was in a restricted airspace. What puzzles me, how are people starting the motors up in a restricted airspace to begin with? Doesn't the software check that before it takes off? And doesn't it at least warn you if say your like 1 mile away from restricted airspace? Am I just expecting too much?

2016-12-8
Use props
fansd723a998
lvl.3
United States

BillW50 Posted at 2016-12-8 18:57
I too have been flying for decades and I trust my flying abilities and I would be pretty upset if my Phantom started doing its own thing. And when I started to read this thread, the first thing I thought of was it was in a restricted airspace. What puzzles me, how are people starting the motors up in a restricted airspace to begin with? Doesn't the software check that before it takes off? And doesn't it at least warn you if say your like 1 mile away from restricted airspace? Am I just expecting too much?

The restricted zone is 5 miles but can be bypassed.  The no-fly zone is 1 mile. I am talking about class D or non towered airports. Class B and C have greater restrictions regarding altitude.  You can take off outside the 1 mile zone while within the 5 mile zone but there is an altitude restriction. My bird was at 40 meters when it started to descend.

The app warned me and I thought I had unlocked it. Apparently I must have had trouble with the internet connection as I now realize that I did not get confirmation. I assumed it would be okay up to a higher altitude but then I am not an expert in DJI minutiae about the geospace system. It was my mistake in taking off without an unlock verification. I paid a price and it will not happen again.

Whether you drive a car, plane. drone, boat, car or shoot guns there are two classes of people; those who have had an accident and those who haven't had one yet.

I hadn't been flying my Phantom very much lately as there is little challenge in controlling it, I have taken all the video I can within 5 miles of home and haven't had a chance to go anywhere interesting in a while.

I started learning to build FPV racing quads. The are a real challenge to fly, there are increasing levels of difficulty, it is thrilling to fly a few feet above the ground and through trees without GPS, barometer or compass and while there are a lot of crashes I have fun rebuilding and it rarely costs more than $50. I will say that between buying a good set of FPV goggles, transmitter, parts and repairs it can easily cost you more than a high end Phantom. It's all about the thrill of a challenge.
2016-12-8
Use props
fansd723a998
lvl.3
United States

BillW50 Posted at 2016-12-8 18:57

I was checking the DJI Geosystem map. I see now that it was not a matter of altitude. Apparently the area in front of my house is just outside the edge of the authorization zone. As I said in my previous post the app did warn me and asked if I wanted to unlock it which I thought I had. As the drone rose it also moved forward up the street and I can see on the enlarged map that as I move up the street it cuts into the authorization zone which is why it started its automatic descent.
2016-12-8
Use props
stuka75
lvl.4
Flight distance : 85682 ft
United States

If I understand then, the Go app will notify you if your in or about to enter an authorization zone? If in the zone will it even start? I am close to an authorization zone.
Thanks
2016-12-8
Use props
fansd723a998
lvl.3
United States

stuka75 Posted at 2016-12-9 12:13
If I understand then, the Go app will notify you if your in or about to enter an authorization zone? If in the zone will it even start? I am close to an authorization zone.
Thanks

It will notify you if you are close to an authorization zone and ask if you want to unlock it. If you do you must then provide a phone number or credit card.. I always put in a phone number and they text back a number that I enter in the app. As far as not starting at all, I have never tried to start within the zone so I am not sure.
2016-12-9
Use props
stuka75
lvl.4
Flight distance : 85682 ft
United States

fansd723a998 Posted at 2016-12-9 22:24
It will notify you if you are close to an authorization zone and ask if you want to unlock it. If you do you must then provide a phone number or credit card.. I always put in a phone number and they text back a number that I enter in the app. As far as not starting at all, I have never tried to start within the zone so I am not sure.

Thank you.
2016-12-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules