Clarification for Obstacle Avoidance during RTH @DJI-Ken/Mindy
1101 12 2016-11-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
MavicUser
lvl.3
Flight distance : 431417 ft
Canada

Does the Obstacle Avoidance System automatically TURN ON if it is manual RTH, Smart RTH, Failsafe RTH if it was turned OFF during the flight?  

The latest version of the manual (page 13) seems to be contradictory;

1.  In the upper part of the page above "Failsafe RTH" title, it says: "Forward Vision System can be enabled during flight or RTH only."

2.  But, in the lower part, below the "Failsafe RTH" section, it says: "The aircraft cannot avoid obstruction during Failsafe RTH if Forward Vision System is disabled."

Please clarify if OA is On or Off during RTH if it has been turned OFF during flight.
2016-11-30
Use props
Jonty2
lvl.2

New Zealand

Good question I had found that part of the manual confusing as well
2016-11-30
Use props
MavicUser
lvl.3
Canada

Can someone from DJI please clarify?
2016-12-1
Use props
Jonty2
lvl.2

New Zealand

Anyone? DJI Ken?
2016-12-7
Use props
Bent Kangaroo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 362510 ft
Australia

I take that to read : If you manually turn off Forward Vision System, you will have no OA with RTH.
2016-12-7
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

If you have OA disabled then RTH cannot avoid obstacles.
If you have it enabled then RTH will avoid obstacles.

But I will verify with R&D, to me even if you have it disabled for some reason I'd rather have it automatically enable if the aircraft goes into RTH.EDIT* R&D told me that indeed if you have OA disabled, if the aircraft goes into RTH, OA remains disabled.
2016-12-7
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

Bent Kangaroo Posted at 2016-12-7 22:24
I take that to read : If you manually turn off Forward Vision System, you will have no OA with RTH.

That is correct.
2016-12-7
Use props
MavicUser
lvl.3
United States

Can you request to R&D that they give us 2 switches for OA in the firmware instead of just one?  Switch 1 for normal flight, and Switch 2 for RTH....

This will allow the pilot to choose whether to use OA during RTH or not, and this choice will not impact the OA use during normal flight.  The reason I'm asking for this, is that the OA sensor on the Mavic still has an issue of "seeing" an obstacle if there is sunlight at a lower angle shining directly towards the OA sensors, and this could prevent the Mavic from actually returning home...  In such a situation, I would rather set a max RTH height and have the OA sensors off..
2016-12-7
Use props
Jonty2
lvl.2

New Zealand

Thanks Ken - the manual wording is quite unclear.
2016-12-8
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

MavicUser Posted at 2016-12-8 00:04
Can you request to R&D that they give us 2 switches for OA in the firmware instead of just one?  Switch 1 for normal flight, and Switch 2 for RTH....

This will allow the pilot to choose whether to use OA during RTH or not, and this choice will not impact the OA use during normal flight.  The reason I'm asking for this, is that the OA sensor on the Mavic still has an issue of "seeing" an obstacle if there is sunlight at a lower angle shining directly towards the OA sensors, and this could prevent the Mavic from actually returning home...  In such a situation, I would rather set a max RTH height and have the OA sensors off..

Suggestion sent.You too have the ability to send messages and feedback.
From the Me tab, go to More, then Feedback and send your requests.
2016-12-8
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

Jonty2 Posted at 2016-12-8 01:34
Thanks Ken - the manual wording is quite unclear.

I edited my post, R&D said if OA is disabled, a RTH it would stay disabled.
2016-12-8
Use props
Jonty2
lvl.2

New Zealand

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-12-9 04:22
I edited my post, R&D said if OA is disabled, a RTH it would stay disabled.

Thanks Ken that makes sense.  The manual does say however that is can be "enabled" in RTH.  So if the aircraft is in RTH with OA off can I turn it on on its way back?
2016-12-8
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

Jonty2 Posted at 2016-12-8 13:05
Thanks Ken that makes sense.  The manual does say however that is can be "enabled" in RTH.  So if the aircraft is in RTH with OA off can I turn it on on its way back?

I have not tested this yes, but can possibly this weekend.
2016-12-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules