Mavic Pro Or Phantom 4 Pro
2161 10 2016-12-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Jc918
lvl.1
United States

I'm buying my first drone and I have had the Mavic Pre ordered a week after is was annouced.  I'm wondering if it's worth waiting anymore or if I should just go ahead and get the Phantom 4 Pro since it's in stock.  I know the Mavic is more portable but it seems like I will never get mine. I pre ordered from Innovative UAS and was told I was guranteed to be in the first batch   

Not sure what to do

2016-12-1
Use props
Smeatmonster
lvl.1

United States

Phantom 4 pro has a better camera, is more stable in high winds, has better battery life, is more expensive, and (perhaps most importantly) is in stock. Mavic is waaaaaay more portable, less expensive, but not yet shipping for a lot of people. I ordered from the US on 10/5 and it finally shipped 2 days ago. It is suppose to arrive Monday. If you ordered just after I did, I bet yours ships pretty soon. It all depends on what you value more and how patient you are willing to be. I have a Phantom 3. It is a great drone it its own right. It is the first real drone I bought, I previously had a few different quad-copters. The biggest drawback for me was lugging it up a mountain on hikes. It required some disassembly and reassemble if you wanted to put it in a backpack. You have strap it on the outside of a pack, or just carry it by hand if you don't want to take the props and prop guards on and off every time. So for me the Mavic is exactly what I was looking for. Of course, if it had the same quality camera the Phantom 4 pro I certainly wouldn't complain. But the Mavic does have a better camera than the one on my P3, so I don't feel too bad about it.
2016-12-1
Use props
Mooney
lvl.3

United States

Smeatmonster Posted at 2016-12-1 12:28
Phantom 4 pro has a better camera, is more stable in high winds, has better battery life, is more ex ...

I'd disagree on a couple points.

Having flown both the regular P4 and Mav, Mav is MUCH better in strong winds.  The Mav doesn't have the wind loading of the larger, bulkier Phantom.  This is especially noticeable in forward flight against headwinds as the Mav penetrates much faster.

The battery life on the Mav is nearly double what we saw on the P4.  I know the P4P has a bigger battery, however its hard for me to believe 18% more capacity will reach the Mav's capability.

IMHO the Phantom is on it's way out.  It's a dated model that has a few new bells ans whistles (mainly in the camera) to help close out what's left of the old body style.

Mav goes faster, father, longer, , smaller, lighter, quieter, batteries cheaper and you don't have props in your shot.

If the new features of the P4P are an attraction your certain to see them plus many more in Mav 2.
2016-12-1
Use props
Warrior200
lvl.3

United Kingdom

If I wasn't bothered about lugging the p4p about then maybe go for that but the mavic is perfect for me as I mountain bike and hike a lot and you will be happy when it arrives it awesome, when you open the box you will be impressed its well worth waiting for trust me.
2016-12-1
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Hungary

Mooney Posted at 2016-12-1 22:00
I'd disagree on a couple points.

Having flown both the regular P4 and Mav, Mav is MUCH better in  ...

Mavic top speed 40mph
P4Pro top speed 45mph
Mav batt. 27 mins
P4Pro batt 30 mins
Mav front obstacle avoidance
P4Pro 360 obstacle avoidance

Bells and whistles 20mp 1 inch sensor much better than x5
H264 60fps H265 30 fps
And so much more , if droning is about flying and having fun maybe Mavic
If droning is about video and photography the P4Pro is so far ahead it's unreal.
2016-12-1
Use props
sarge43
lvl.2
United States

Let you know after this coming monday as that's when my P4P is being delivered.  Have had the Mavic for a few days now and love it!  These are my first drones ever owned or flown, so I'll let you know what I think (hey, that and about $10 will get you a coffee at Starbucks).
Sarge
2016-12-1
Use props
dana5
lvl.3
Flight distance : 14354 ft
United States

No contest. The P4pro is a far better drone than the Mavic in EVERY way except one. Portability. If you don't need "small" and "portable", then the P4 is more rugged, has better safety features, a better camera, smoother panning, longer flight time, and plenty of accessories, as the original P4 has been around a while.

I happen to want the portability, so i am still waiting for my Mavic, but have considered getting a P4pro as well.
2016-12-1
Use props
QuanthonyTrang
lvl.4
Flight distance : 419980 ft
  • >>>
Australia

The Mavic is the sweet spot for the amateur/hobbyist. Ticks all the little boxes and even fits in one.
If you are more recktum-like with image quality and don't care about lugging around a large backpack then P4Pro all day.

The only problem with the mavic is that professionals don't see it as a professional tool. If you are getting paid work, then P4Pro or Inspire.
On a positive note, no one cares about the mavic. Just looks like a toy quad. No bothers me anymore. The Phantom series always drew a crowd because it was so iconic.
2016-12-1
Use props
Jc918
lvl.1
United States

Thanks everyone I think I will hold out for the Mavic a bit longer and wait
2016-12-2
Use props
JPUAV
lvl.1

United Kingdom

I thought I'd share a side by side comparison to help make your decision - if your heart's set on the Mavic Pro, awesome! From my brief experience with one, it's a nifty little quadcopter. However, 'knowledge is power' as they say so it's worth digging into the specs and figuring out what works better for you.

Here's the Mavic Pro and Phantom 4 Pro Comparison to have a look through.
2016-12-5
Use props
Dronemeister
New

United States

If it's your first drone, I would get a Phantom 3 standard to learn on while you're waiting. I'm glad I did. It took quite a beating in the learning stages.
2016-12-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules