DJI GO 4 Android issues
8818 19 2016-12-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Logger
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2883714 ft
Australia

I am disenchanted with the new DJI GO 4 ANDROID software.  Obviously it is brand new and there will be updates..

1) On Launch it always asks me to choose my product (Mavic) & the selection does not stick for next time.  DJI GO v3 remembered this selection. Why do I have to look at a picture of phantom and scroill through a list to select mine every time I start the app.  Put it back the way DJI GO v3 was in this regard. It auto logs me in to my acc and it surely it can pull my product type from a setting. Same issue with the IOS DJI GO4.

2) Flight Logs are not all syncing and only about 2/3 of mine, that are on your server actually make it to DJI GO v4. DJI GO v3 collects them all. Same issue with the IOS DJI GO4. You have also hidden the Flight Record in a pull down list with Academy, Store and Scan QR code which is a place I never go. Direct access to it from the main page (like DJI GO v3) would be better as nothing else on that + menu is of interest to and I use none of it.

3) Imperial Speed units are still wrong. This was sidely reported in DJI GO v3. RC shows 35MPH while DJI GO shows over 50MPH wich is probaly actually KPH.  Cant both be right!  v4 is supposably a brand new app. Surely this would have been fixed then.

4) Numerous DGI GO v4 crashes with my (YES I know - unsupported) Samsung S7 edge.   However 12 hours and 105 previous flights with DJI GO v3 and not one DJI GO issue.
a) POI freezing followed by reported Signal loss (not actually so) and app crashing.
b) App crash means loss of flight log data.
c) Gesture mode, freezing,  signal loss report, DJI GO v4 unrepsonsive, close app.  Drone still sitting 20 feet away in flight with RC telling me it is in Active Track when clearly it is not becuase it is not tracking and it would require the crashed app to work. Only way to get it out of active track was to pull the USB so RC dropped back to GPS.

I know all the problems within item 4) are supposedly because of my S7 edge phone. yes I do leave wifi OFF on my phone. Just seems ironic that a major version update is in fact a backward step for me and proving to be unworkable. I got suckered in wanting to be an early adopter and first with the latest update. But it is back to v3 for me.

How is everyone else getting on with the new DJI GO v4 Android app?

2016-12-1
Use props
dana5
lvl.3
Flight distance : 14354 ft
United States

The problem may be your phone. The Galaxy S phones have always been problematic with DJI GO. And, in my opinion, Samsung does not make a very good phone, compared to LG or the Nexus and Pixel phones. I think even the Motorola phones are more reliable. But in the end, Samsung is the most popular Android phone on the market, so DJI should be more concerned with compatibility. Especially when you consider there are more Samsung Android phones out there than there are iPhones.

From others, I have heard that the new version works better with the Mavic, but again, I suspect it just depends on what device you are using.
2016-12-1
Use props
MikeQView
lvl.4
United Kingdom

I was kinda hoping the v4 was the start of the end of app issues !  as it is suggested to be for the newer craft like Mavic, phantom pro, inspire2  etc,  why on earth they cant be seperated to a dedicated app per model is beyond me,  that way the app only carries data for that craft,  and doesnt have to carry loads of baggage from all the others?
2016-12-1
Use props
sarge43
lvl.2
United States

Downloaded GO4 this morning and all of the sudden all my intelligent flight modes work as advertised.  I could not get them to work at all (except POI) with version 3.  I have a Droid Maxx 2.  Liking version 4 so far.  
Sarge
2016-12-1
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Hungary

I think the problem may well be with Samsung for the last six months, Samsung hasn't being playing ball with dji..
2016-12-1
Use props
Logger
lvl.4
Australia

Sarge43  just check carefully that your intelligent flight modes do really work properly before you give it too much leeway.  One thing for them to be there in menus and and activate. Another for them to work consistently and reliably. You might be in lucky though.

The DJI GO 4 crash log as follows:

android.view.ViewRootImpl$CalledFromWrongThreadException: Only the original thread that created a view hierarchy can touch its views.
        at android.view.ViewRootImpl.checkThread(ViewRootImpl.java:8134)
        at android.view.ViewRootImpl.invalidateChildInParent(ViewRootImpl.java:1257)
        at android.view.ViewGroup.invalidateChild(ViewGroup.java:5428)
        at android.view.View.invalidateInternal(View.java:13927)
        at android.view.View.invalidate(View.java:13891)
        at android.view.View.invalidate(View.java:13875)
        at android.widget.TextView.checkForRelayout(TextView.java:8294)
        at android.widget.TextView.setText(TextView.java:4959)
        at android.widget.TextView.setText(TextView.java:4786)
        at android.widget.TextView.setText(TextView.java:4761)
        at android.widget.TextView.setText(TextView.java:5040)
        at dji.pilot.dji_groundstation.ui.a.b$3.onSuccess(Unknown Source)
        at dji.midware.data.manager.P3.n.callbackSuccess(Unknown Source)
        at dji.midware.data.manager.P3.n.access$200(Unknown Source)
        at dji.midware.data.manager.P3.n$2.run(Unknown Source)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:818)

And another thing.  My flight log folder clearly contains 113 flight records and DJI GO 4 can only see and read about 90 of them!!  Can't blame the phone for this.   Each version of the app has its own flight log folder with corresponding log files and a json file that totals things up. These sync to DJI servers somewhere.  Why the two app folders end up with slightly differnt number of flight record files post sync has me stumped.  Something weird going on server side. My ios DJI GO has a totally different no of synced flights as well & they bare no relationship to the 1/2 dozen or so ios flights I have done. It shows ~ 70 flights.
Anyway not going to do anything adventuous with DJI GO 4 until things improve.

2016-12-1
Use props
trance728-
lvl.4
Flight distance : 298048 ft
  • >>>
United States

Is DGI a knockoff app of DJI's?
2016-12-1
Use props
Logger
lvl.4
Australia

trance728- Posted at 2016-12-2 08:42
Is DGI a knockoff app of DJI's?

No I just can't spell. But it is functioning like a dodgy knock off for me atm .  There spelling fixed - but app is not.
2016-12-1
Use props
Enzo.Bellini
lvl.1

Germany

Logger Posted at 2016-12-2 01:31
Sarge43  just check carefully that your intelligent flight modes do really work properly before you  ...

I do have a S7 edge... and was workinf fine with DJI GO 3 (do not remember which version exactly... that was in August 2016)... all Versions after August 2016 makes DJI GO Crash and my S7 edge reboot... Also the brand new DJI GO 4 is crashing after 1-2 Minutes.. after switching from "Picture mode" to "Video mode"..
I also send the following Log to DJI... never heard of them... no reply.. nothing.

java.lang.RuntimeException: Unable to resume activity {dji.pilot/dji.pilot.fpv.activity.DJIPreviewActivityLitchi}: com.here.android.mpa.common.UnintializedMapEngineException: Cannot created HERE SDK objects before MapEngine is initialized.  See MapEngine.init()
        at android.app.ActivityThread.performResumeActivity(ActivityThread.java:4156)
        at android.app.ActivityThread.handleResumeActivity(ActivityThread.java:4250)
        at android.app.ActivityThread.handleLaunchActivity(ActivityThread.java:3361)
        at android.app.ActivityThread.access$1100(ActivityThread.java:222)
        at android.app.ActivityThread$H.handleMessage(ActivityThread.java:1795)
        at android.os.Handler.dispatchMessage(Handler.java:102)
        at android.os.Looper.loop(Looper.java:158)
        at android.app.ActivityThread.main(ActivityThread.java:7229)
        at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Native Method)
        at com.android.internal.os.ZygoteInit$MethodAndArgsCaller.run(ZygoteInit.java:1230)
        at com.android.internal.os.ZygoteInit.main(ZygoteInit.java:1120)
Caused by: com.here.android.mpa.common.UnintializedMapEngineException: Cannot created HERE SDK objects before MapEngine is initialized.  See MapEngine.init()
        at com.nokia.maps.BaseNativeObject.u(Unknown Source)
        at com.nokia.maps.BaseNativeObject.<init>(Unknown Source)
        at com.nokia.maps.MapImpl.<init>(Unknown Source)
        at com.here.android.mpa.mapping.Map.<init>(Unknown Source)
        at dji.gs.map.control.a.<init>(Unknown Source)
        at dji.pilot.fpv.control.k.b(Unknown Source)
        at dji.pilot.fpv.control.k.c(Unknown Source)
        at dji.pilot.fpv.activity.DJIPreviewActivityLitchi.onResume(Unknown Source)
        at android.app.Instrumentation.callActivityOnResume(Instrumentation.java:1286)
        at android.app.Activity.performResume(Activity.java:6987)
        at android.app.ActivityThread.performResumeActivity(ActivityThread.java:4145)
        ... 10 more
com.here.android.mpa.common.UnintializedMapEngineException: Cannot created HERE SDK objects before MapEngine is initialized.  See MapEngine.init()
        at com.nokia.maps.BaseNativeObject.u(Unknown Source)
        at com.nokia.maps.BaseNativeObject.<init>(Unknown Source)
        at com.nokia.maps.MapImpl.<init>(Unknown Source)
        at com.here.android.mpa.mapping.Map.<init>(Unknown Source)
        at dji.gs.map.control.a.<init>(Unknown Source)
        at dji.pilot.fpv.control.k.c(Unknown Source)
        at dji.pilot.fpv.activity.DJIPreviewActivityLitchi.onResume(Unknown Source)
        at android.app.Instrumentation.callActivityOnResume(Instrumentation.java:1286)
        at android.app.Activity.performResume(Activity.java:6987)
        at android.app.ActivityThread.performResumeActivity(ActivityThread.java:4145)
        at android.app.ActivityThread.handleResumeActivity(ActivityThread.java:4250)
        at android.app.ActivityThread.handleLaunchActivity(ActivityThread.java:3361)
        at android.app.ActivityThread.access$1100(ActivityThread.java:222)
        at android.app.ActivityThread$H.handleMessage(ActivityThread.java:1795)
        at android.os.Handler.dispatchMessage(Handler.java:102)
        at android.os.Looper.loop(Looper.java:158)
        at android.app.ActivityThread.main(ActivityThread.java:7229)
        at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Native Method)
        at com.android.internal.os.ZygoteInit$MethodAndArgsCaller.run(ZygoteInit.java:1230)
        at com.android.internal.os.ZygoteInit.main(ZygoteInit.java:1120)

I am seriously thinking to switch DJI with another manufacturer... Their Hardware is briliant... they honestly do not know how to develope software (mobilke apss)... They blame Samsung wrt S7 edge... If that would be the only phone having issues.. iwould agree with them... As I read through the forums... many other phones have lots of issues.. not necessarily "App crashing and phone restarting" issues... but other..

Did you try DJI GO v4 with another phone? S6? Or iPhone?
2016-12-2
Use props
Logger
lvl.4
Australia

I have only flown DJI GO v4  with my S7 edge. I do have the ios version on my iPad, but not flown with it. Thats how I know items 1 and 2 in my list are not platform, let alone phone dependent.

I am fortunate in that DJI GO v3 has proven reliable and works fine on my S7 edge.  So will uninstall v4 and wait until a few updates are released for 4 before giving it another go.
2016-12-2
Use props
boostedford
lvl.4
Flight distance : 144478 ft
United States

I use nexus 5x last time i flew both 3 and 4 kept crashing on me and took me 10 minutes to flying get up flying. I find that 4 crashes more often and i keep going back to 3
2016-12-11
Use props
DRONE-flies-YOU
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1450594 ft
United States

Logger Posted at 2016-12-2 17:02
I have only flown DJI GO v4  with my S7 edge. I do have the ios version on my iPad, but not flown with it. Thats how I know items 1 and 2 in my list are not platform, let alone phone dependent.

I am fortunate in that DJI GO v3 has proven reliable and works fine on my S7 edge.  So will uninstall v4 and wait until a few updates are released for 4 before giving it another go.

DJI GO 4 on the Phantom 4 Pro+ (the built-in screen version) has a few of the issues you listed. Speed shows kph, it DOES crash the built-in device, and the flight logs have NEVER synced.

Just FYI since the built-in device on the Phantom 4 Pro+ is a custom kernel on an Android device, just like Samsung.

I find GO 4 is pretty sketchy & doesn't always remember various settings.
2016-12-11
Use props
jford
New

United States

DJI needs to get over their love affair with IOS. Not everyone has the money to drop on an IOS based phone.
2016-12-12
Use props
bighi
lvl.4
Flight distance : 47455053 ft
  • >>>
Austria

jford Posted at 2016-12-12 16:26
DJI needs to get over their love affair with IOS. Not everyone has the money to drop on an IOS based phone.

Agree 100%.
2016-12-12
Use props
Heavysledz
lvl.4
Flight distance : 819491 ft
United States

How about the Litchi App....does this run more reliably than the DJI  GO 4 app? I just want a solid/reliable app so I can enjoy flying and not fearful of losing connectivity.
2016-12-12
Use props
Logger
lvl.4
Australia

Heavysledz as the OP of this thread I will chime back in and say DjoGo4 has been nice and stable for me on Android since the recent firmware update to 1.03.  The problems I listed occurred with the 1.02 Mavic firmware. I re installed DjiGO4 as a clean install (having manually removed its folders first). Since then with the 1.03 firmware it has been good as gold.  Others are having issues still, but I do not know if they have tried a clean install of DjiGo4 to fix them.

I also use Android Litchi quite a bit and it has worked fine for me to on my Samsung S7 edge. It is reliable and have had no recent issues with it.
2016-12-12
Use props
blackite
lvl.2
Flight distance : 133927 ft
Hong Kong

I am newbie to drones and RC. I have a Mavic Pro and so far the Android DJI GO 4 works well. I run it on a S7 and in a Samsung A tab 8".
I do dislike:

1) the spelling mistakes (i.e. triple pod and long exposure ) and
2)the fact that there is no zebra peeking for focus.

Is there any place were these issues can be addressed to DJI?
2017-1-19
Use props
blackite
lvl.2
Hong Kong

jford Posted at 2016-12-12 07:26

I not just the money. I simply like some functions that iOS does not have it.
2017-1-19
Use props
blackite
lvl.2
Hong Kong

blackite Posted at 2017-1-19 00:53
I am newbie to drones and RC. I have a Mavic Pro and so far the Android DJI GO 4 works well. I run it on a S7 and in a Samsung A tab 8".
I do dislike:

I forgot to mention that teh SYNC YOUR FLIGHTS often crashes the app on my S7. It just lingers at 68% and then I need to quit it. On the Samsung Galaxy Tab A 8" is fine.
2017-1-19
Use props
CuaC
lvl.4
Flight distance : 369626 ft
Germany

It seems that the integration they made with Here Maps doesn't work fine if Here Maps is not also installed. Try to download and install Here Maps (it's free on the play store) and see if that solves your issue. Yeah, crappy solution, but if it works it works...
2017-1-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules