Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
2 Month Wait. 5 minute flight. Crash and back for repair :(
12Next >
4077 52 2016-12-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fansc87fce72
lvl.2
Flight distance : 813593 ft
United States

I had my new Mavic in the air for about 5 minutes before it threw up around 5 errors and crashed. The gimbal and camera are broken. I already have it packed to send back to DJI. I cannot express how disappointed I am. I really hope DJI makes this right. I waited months for this awesome little guy and now I have to wait even longer. I'm just glad it crashed at home and not one my cruise next week. Has anyone else had it completely freak out on them like this?
2016-12-1
Use props
dotfiles
lvl.3

United States

What errors did you get and what calibrations did you do before flying? Did you calibrate the compass correctly, free of any metallic objects on or near you?

Can you post your logs to healthy drones so we can see what might have happened?
2016-12-1
Use props
BrandonA614
lvl.2
United States

Compass was calibrated correctly and was showing low interference. The first error was GPS signal lost. Took a hard left, then it had multiple motor overload errors and crashed. I've never used healthy drones. I'd be happy to upload the logs if someone showed me how. It seems like DJI is claiming pilot error on a lot of these issues, but I was hovering when mine went crazy.
2016-12-1
Use props
BrandonA614
lvl.2
United States

dotfiles Posted at 2016-12-1 23:04
What errors did you get and what calibrations did you do before flying? Did you calibrate the compas ...

I think I figured it out.

http://healthydrones.com/main?share=zqwtjm
2016-12-1
Use props
dotfiles
lvl.3

United States

DJI-Ken or Mindy, can you please ban this guy (Ricardo)? Posting his vlogs on completely unrelated threads.

Brandon, hopefully Ken can look into that flight if the logs were synced to the cloud.
2016-12-1
Use props
BrandonA614
lvl.2
United States

dotfiles Posted at 2016-12-2 00:33
DJI-Ken or Mindy, can you please ban this guy (Ricardo)? Posting his vlogs on completely unrelated t ...

I hope so. You can see where it lost GPS signal and fell out of the sky. It's a very nifty tool. Thanks for suggesting it!!
2016-12-1
Use props
FPVJunkie
lvl.2
Flight distance : 66421 ft
United States

Have you ever flown a quad before? By the looks of it, you took off with poor # of satellites, it switched to atti-mode 20 seconds after liftoff and off she went. The compass errors and motor errors look like the occurred at the end, once it struck the trees and tumbled down.
2016-12-1
Use props
Warrior200
lvl.3

United Kingdom

You said- I had my new Mavic in the air for about 5 minutes before it threw up around 5 errors and crashed.
But it says 37 second flight time.

Motor error was when it hit the tree.

Not enough satellites on takeoff.

Loss of Gps doesn't make the aircraft fall out of the sky, in atti mode you have to take full control and fly it back.
I'm not trying to make you look as you don't know what your doing it's just blind panic when this happens. I hope you get your mavic sorted out.
2016-12-1
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Hungary

Ricardo is a numpty.....
2016-12-1
Use props
Warrior200
lvl.3

United Kingdom

hallmark007 Posted at 2016-12-2 07:52
Ricardo is a numpty.....

Does he have anything good to say about the mavic. I wouldn't know because I don't watch his videos.
2016-12-2
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Hungary

This is pilot error...
2016-12-2
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Hungary

Warrior200 Posted at 2016-12-2 09:00
Does he have anything good to say about the mavic. I wouldn't know because I don't watch his video ...

Just watch and see.
2016-12-2
Use props
Warrior200
lvl.3

United Kingdom

No your not fooling me I'm not going to watch, I'm resisting temptation I'm definitely not going to press that play button.
I would rather stick my head up a dead bears bottom than watch his crap videos.
2016-12-2
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Hungary

Warrior200 Posted at 2016-12-2 09:07
No your not fooling me I'm not going to watch, I'm resisting temptation I'm definitely not going t ...

Ok spare yourself, nobody should be put through that, would ruin your whole weekend, lol
2016-12-2
Use props
BrandonA614
lvl.2
United States

Yes, I have many hours in the air with DJI. I had been flying for about a total of 5 minutes when this happened. I was attempting to test the precision landing. At the time the app was showing between 15 and 17 satellites. It lost them all in a matter of seconds. I'm well aware that it seems easy to blame the pilot, but I know what I'm doing. Even with no satellites at all, it shouldn't have taken the hard left and nose dived.
2016-12-2
Use props
BrandonA614
lvl.2
United States

You'll also notice that my signal strength appeared to be great the entire time, even though the app lost signal. If it would help I can load the other 5 or 6 flight logs to see if something went funky before the last 37 seconds.
2016-12-2
Use props
NavigatorNL
lvl.4
Flight distance : 700768 ft
Netherlands

@ Ricardo

Useless posting of his own vids. Clickbait. Please, get a life.
2016-12-2
Use props
BrandonA614
lvl.2
United States

I took some screen shots of the app. Maybe that can help everyone see what I saw. 17 satellites and full strength. 1 second later I still show 17, but zero signal strength. 1 second after that, I get the GPS error.
IMG_0609.PNG
IMG_0610.PNG
IMG_0611.PNG
2016-12-2
Use props
Wille_W
lvl.2
Flight distance : 263550 ft
Sweden

Well it sure looks like that BUT it's still a little strange that you see the route plotted one the map and it says it has a lot of satellites also but STILL flies in ATTI. Also this left turn as always are disturbing.....

I haven't gotten my drone yet but it could be like he says that he had practiced takeoff and landings and that is way we see only 37 sec flight time... We shouldn't judge to fast when someone uploads flight logs because that will stop people from doing it...

One thing we also need is the possibility to practice ATTI flying in a controlled manner if not every beginner will panic when it suddenly goes to that mode by it self.
2016-12-2
Use props
BrandonA614
lvl.2
United States

Wille_W Posted at 2016-12-2 06:12
Well it sure looks like that BUT it's still a little strange that you see the route plotted one the ...

Thanks for a bit of defense. Haha. I have flown model aircraft for over 5 years. I flew helicopters, toy quads, and racing quads. None of those had any fancy GPS. I know how to handle an aircraft. I also had a Phantom 3 4K, a Phantom 4, and now (for a moment) the Mavic. I have never seen a DJI product act like this. I posted some screen shots from DJI GO and you can see I had 17 satellites even after the error. I'm not claiming I'm perfect, but I really don't think I caused this.
2016-12-2
Use props
Bent Kangaroo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 362510 ft
Australia

Looks like user error to me.
Did you have eye contact with your drone as it headed into a forest?
If you click on notifications in healthydrones, you can see you had ample warnings.
There appears to be a two story building between you and the drone and it appears you were in sport mode given you recorded 31.5Mph.
Start saving for a new drone buddy hehe
2016-12-2
Use props
BrandonA614
lvl.2
United States

Yes I had eye contact until it fell out of the sky. I was flying it in an open courtyard. Since you're paying so close attention, you'll also notice it was well above any surrounding buildings. Also, the ample warning you speak of was around 2 seconds before it took a hard left. Once I received the GPS signal loss, my screen went blank and I had no control. Also, and I could be wrong because I'm a first time poster. Is this blog intended to mock people with legitimate concerns? Your response was completely unwarranted and immature.
2016-12-2
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

BrandonA614 Posted at 2016-12-2 11:54
Yes I had eye contact until it fell out of the sky. I was flying it in an open courtyard. Since you' ...

If you post your flight log to Phantomhelp there is flight detail to 1/10th of a second. This can often be more revealing than Healtthydrones, albeit no pictures.

If you share link some might be able to add meaningfull comment.
2016-12-2
Use props
Wille_W
lvl.2
Flight distance : 263550 ft
Sweden

BrandonA614 Posted at 2016-12-2 12:19
Thanks for a bit of defense. Haha. I have flown model aircraft for over 5 years. I flew helicopter ...

Well if you are not a beginner in flying and lost connection with it then it's definitively something wrong with your Mavic and I hope that DJI will conclude that also... Isn't it possible to take out data from both the controller/mobile and Mavic so that you can compare the two and see if you actually lost control and also see your stick inputs when this happend?
2016-12-2
Use props
Bent Kangaroo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 362510 ft
Australia

" Your response was completely unwarranted and immature."
Yes your right.
And it doesnt matter what i say because DJI will decide based on data you provided.
Good luck with your endeavors.
2016-12-2
Use props
BrandonA614
lvl.2
United States

When I first got the GPS error I completely let go of the sticks. As it flew hard left I tried to go hard right. That did nothing. Once I lost the video feed I just brought the left stick full down. I wanted it on the ground before it got out over the road. I know it looks like it crashed into the trees, but I was lucky enough to have it hit the ground and roll into the trees. At first I thought I had thrown a prop, because that's how it acted, but when it was recovered they were all intact. Definitely a weird situation. I dropped it off with UPS this morning. I'm not worried about DJI fixing it, but I am concerned with flying the Mavic now. My phantom was solid. I never had to worry about it doing anything I didn't want it to do. Once I get it back, it will be quite a while before I trust it more than a few feet away.
2016-12-2
Use props
theGrindLab.com
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1375846 ft
  • >>>
United States

When I lost one of my Phantoms a few months back, some forum members also said it was clearly pilot error (based on my flight log), but DJI ultimately concluded the issue was with the Phantom and they replaced it. You have to take forum "pilot error" criticism with a grain of salt. Your flight logs on the surface can seem to show that errors were made by you, even when that is not actually the case, so people can only make assumptions based on those logs. Send everything to DJI and let them sort it out. I may have been one of the fortunate ones in getting my drone (DJI even calls them that now) replaced, but your situation sounds like things might go the same way for you.
2016-12-2
Use props
BrandonA614
lvl.2
United States

Well I really hope for my sake they determine the same thing with my Mavic. I don't mind people saying it's my fault, that's their opinion. I just got a little irritated with the "start saving for a new drone buddy, hehe" comment. It isn't helpful. Mocking me over a thousand dollar loss is childish.
2016-12-2
Use props
fschilder
lvl.2
Flight distance : 102028 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Actually, I see large errors in the compass throughout the flight. Was the compass calibrated successfully before the flight?
2016-12-2
Use props
BrandonA614
lvl.2
United States

Yes it was. I calibrated it and checked the interference on the original takeoff. Everything looked good. I also calibrated the IMU and controller. Like I said earlier, I was doing multiple short flights to test the precision landing, but I had 2 or 3 successful flights before this crazy one.
2016-12-2
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

BrandonA614 Posted at 2016-12-2 13:31
Well I really hope for my sake they determine the same thing with my Mavic. I don't mind people sayi ...

Do you check stick input if it shows that stick was in the Centre while aircraft was going hard left, it may well be malfunction.
Did you do a stick calibration.
2016-12-2
Use props
BrandonA614
lvl.2
United States

Hallmark, yes I did a stick calibration while it was charging. It failed the first time, but took the second. The only abnormal thing I noticed in the software was that it updated the firmware every time I restated the app, but it always completed.
2016-12-2
Use props
fans4d83514d
lvl.2

United States

BrandonA614 Posted at 2016-12-2 06:54
Yes I had eye contact until it fell out of the sky. I was flying it in an open courtyard. Since you' ...

Sorry everyone seems to be bashing you that's not what this forum is about.
I think everyone would rather blame pilot than think that the drone they've been waiting months to get might have bugs that need dealt with I've read many threads about loosing control ( going into ATTI and spinning) and think there's something going on.
No one wants to think the drone they paid $1000 for and waited months to get is going to do what yours did.
2016-12-2
Use props
dotfiles
lvl.3

United States

One other question, were you using the new Go App 4 or the older app when this happened? Some people have been saying the new app has fixed some of their issues with signal interference, etc.
2016-12-2
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

BrandonA614 Posted at 2016-12-2 04:10
I took some screen shots of the app. Maybe that can help everyone see what I saw. 17 satellites and  ...

What is your email and I will look at your last flight. Sync your flight records too.
Also, if you tap the RC icon it will overlay your stick inputs so you can see exactly what stick inputs you were giving the RC.And sorry about the crash, the flight data analysis team will determine the cause.
2016-12-2
Use props
Warrior200
lvl.3

United Kingdom

Did you have your wifi turned off on your phone I'm not sure but it sounds to me something was conflicting with your controller I might be wrong. This is one of the reasons I don't fly in built up areas, I have another drone that suffers from wifi signals if I fly to close to towns and cities. I hope you get your mavic sorted out and when you do can you post what was wrong with it I think a lot of people would be interested.   Good luck hope it works out good for you.
2016-12-2
Use props
BrandonA614
lvl.2
United States

I didn't even know there was a new app. Surely this isn't the issue?! If the old app isn't compatible, why would it even let me fly with it? Yes Warrior, the wifi was on, but I've never had an issue with that before.
2016-12-2
Use props
Flight Raptor
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3014675 ft
  • >>>
United States

Seems that the most important message from your logs is the "Warning: Motor obstructed".    I think this is the reason your bird crashed.   Something stopped one of your motors from turning. (unless, of course, this error came AFTER your quadcopter already was out of control and hit something b/c of being out of control).

warning

warning
2016-12-2
Use props
CamStevens
lvl.4

United States

Did you use Sport mode?  There are other threads hypothesizing that sport mode leads to large yaw discrepancies that cause the drone to fall out of GPS mode.  No confirmation from DJI on this that I'm aware of.
2016-12-2
Use props
method007
lvl.4
Flight distance : 110449 ft
  • >>>
United States

Flight Raptor Posted at 2016-12-2 11:35
Seems that the most important message from your logs is the "Warning: Motor obstructed".    I think  ...

That's the error you get after it crashes.  Which is why it's the last second.
2016-12-2
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules