Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Mavic for Commercial Real Estate?
4111 10 2016-12-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
D.Christians
lvl.1

United States

Hello Everyone,

I am in the process of starting my own drone photography/videography company, primarily targeting real estate. I wanted to hear the community's thoughts on using a Mavic to get the job done, or would you recommend a Phantom 4 Pro or even the Inspire 2?  I would consider myself a beginner, so I do not want to spend a ton of money but I want to offer my client the best possibe product.  I have been debating between the Mavic and the Phantom 4 Pro.

-Thank You!
2016-12-2
Use props
jayh410
Second Officer
Flight distance : 11266 ft
United States

You really need to look into the FAA requirements for that.  I think they have different applications for Commercial versus Recreational use.  If you're going to be offering it as a commercial service, and you've only registered as a recreational user they might give you some grief.

This might help.

https://www.faa.gov/uas/getting_started/fly_for_work_business/
2016-12-2
Use props
jvanderhoff
lvl.4
Flight distance : 14045 ft
United States

Unfortunately the best possible product while keeping cost low isn't how things work in any business.

The P4Pro and Inspire 2 will obviously give you better video and photo results with the Inspire 2 giving additional video possibilities with the unique landing gears and gimble system.

That being said, it seems like the Mavic will provide acceptable photo and video results to a majority of possible entry level clients. Maybe shoot with the Mavic and if things pickup think about upgrading.
2016-12-2
Use props
Nerds=Drones
lvl.3

United States

Youll need to get you Remote pilot license
2016-12-2
Use props
Raymondanton1
lvl.1

United States

jvanderhoff Posted at 2016-12-2 11:29
Unfortunately the best possible product while keeping cost low isn't how things work in any business ...

When is the Mavic 2 dropping and where did you get this info from?
2016-12-2
Use props
Mooney
lvl.4

United States

You need to start here:

FAA Drone License
2016-12-2
Use props
jayh410
Second Officer
Flight distance : 11266 ft
United States

jvanderhoff Posted at 2016-12-2 11:29
Unfortunately the best possible product while keeping cost low isn't how things work in any business ...

I had rambled then realised I'd more or less said what jvanderhoff said.  His advise is good.  Especially if you're new to photography in general and drones in particular, buying the highest end stuff doesn't guarantee you the best output.  Better to learn the ropes, then upgrade if you find yourself limited by your current device and if the business will support the expense.
2016-12-2
Use props
D.Christians
lvl.1

United States

I feel like I have a good understanding on the regulations the FAA put forward to fly a drone commercially.  I do like the idea of starting with a Maviic and then possibly upgrading to an inspire in the future.  I have been flying lower end drones for about a year now and just want to upgrade to a Mavic or Phantom 4 Pro
2016-12-2
Use props
StevenFL
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1009301 ft
United States

D.Christians Posted at 2016-12-2 13:44
I feel like I have a good understanding on the regulations the FAA put forward to fly a drone commer ...

If you don't care about portability, I may suggest starting with a P3P.  Less expensive than any of these options, and maybe better suited for real estate.

When doing RE gigs, I find that you sometimes have to have your "back" right up against a tree to get the full view (obviously, keep a safe distance).  The Phantom camera has a wider FOV (field of view) than the Mavic, which allows you to get more in the shot and stay at a safer distance to obstacles.  Remember, the best shot is not always just looking down on a house or property, and sometimes just 5-20 feet off the ground.  Given that people like to have trees near their houses, this happens on almost every shoot that I do.

IF you do get the Mavic, you can always try stitching portrait (vertical) photos together to compensate for the narrower view (think mini-panorama).  However, you may find this limiting, and this may make things more technically challenging than they need to be.

(as others mentioned, make sure to get square with the FAA to do this commercially)
2016-12-2
Use props
D.Christians
lvl.1

United States

StevenFL Posted at 2016-12-2 12:56
If you don't care about portability, I may suggest starting with a P3P.  Less expensive than any o ...

Great advice! Thank you!
2016-12-2
Use props
jvanderhoff
lvl.4
Flight distance : 14045 ft
United States

Raymondanton1 Posted at 2016-12-2 08:52
When is the Mavic 2 dropping and where did you get this info from?

I meant the Mavic 1 Pro. My apologies. Edited.
2016-12-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules