Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
RTH Obstacle Avoidance disables stick commands, but why?
1031 6 2016-12-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
EpicLPer
lvl.3
Flight distance : 80272 ft
Austria

So I was going trough all the settings and made myself familiar with my newly bought Phantom 4 Pro to avoid any confusion and mis-behavior later on when I take off for the first time, a lot of people forget to do that actually...

Anyways, I saw this and I was just wondering why we can't control the drone while RTH Obstacle Avoidance is activated? I mean, what if it'd fly up and into something while avoiding it, we wouldn't be able to stop it. Or what if it's not working correctly and actually corrects itself flying into something? It just looks a bit stupid to me to do it this way.
Can't this be fixed with a future update, as example when using the sticks it'll cancle RTH and Avoidance all together and leave you with full control of the drone then?

2016-12-2
Use props
fans689722dd
Flight distance : 3623386 ft
Belgium

I agree, you should always have control of the aircraft.

Like when the battery is empty and it starts to land by itself. It happened to me and the drone was 500m away. If I didn't push the left control upwards, the drone would have landed into some trees. Not a good idea.
2016-12-2
Use props
KM5RG-Robert
Captain
Flight distance : 2075213 ft
United States

On the flip side, if it is RTHing, it seems likely that you have lost signal or it is at least intermittent. Suppose that while you are having difficulty receiving a good video signal because of the poor signal, it automatically begins to avoid something, and while it is avoiding the something you are moving the sticks around not really seeing what is going on due to the spotty or lagging video. You could fly right into the obstacle that the craft sees but you don't. That would suck too. Obviously you should not be trying to fly the aircraft (yourself) if you cannot see VLOS or FPV but I can see the alternative that if you can see then you may want to control it yourself. So just cancel the RTH at that point. It will hover and let you control it again.
As you can see it is hard to anticipate every possible scenario and program an appropriate response for it.
2016-12-2
Use props
DRONE-flies-YOU
First Officer
Flight distance : 1450594 ft
United States

100% AGREE

Not sure what would have happened yesterday for me then!  I had an old firmware that didn't have that new toggle and I was able to give commands via sticks because I wasn't sure what it was doing.

Turns out the blacktop & it being wet makes it seem like a body of water, so the P4P decided to fly 30 or so feet and try to land at my neighbors light-colored driveway.  It even avoided a bush (and said so on-screen).  It probably would have been fine landing or doing the prompt to ask for landing permission, but it was nice grabbing the sticks & INSTANTLY making it do what I wanted.

I'll have to wait & see how this really affects us.  I'm thinking the altitude commands will still be read, just not forward/back/left/right and maybe yaw.
2016-12-2
Use props
DRONE-flies-YOU
First Officer
Flight distance : 1450594 ft
United States

And that 2.4Ghz warning on your screen doesn't happen with the P4P+.  In fact I was on my home 2.4Ghz Wi-Fi and operating the drone on 2.4/5.8Ghz with NO issues for many flights now.  This is 1 of the cool features of full integration.  Just FYI since maybe P5 will ALL be built-in devices.
2016-12-2
Use props
EpicLPer
lvl.3
Flight distance : 80272 ft
Austria

KM5RG-Robert Posted at 2016-12-2 22:58
On the flip side, if it is RTHing, it seems likely that you have lost signal or it is at least intermittent. Suppose that while you are having difficulty receiving a good video signal because of the poor signal, it automatically begins to avoid something, and while it is avoiding the something you are moving the sticks around not really seeing what is going on due to the spotty or lagging video. You could fly right into the obstacle that the craft sees but you don't. That would suck too. Obviously you should not be trying to fly the aircraft (yourself) if you cannot see VLOS or FPV but I can see the alternative that if you can see then you may want to control it yourself. So just cancel the RTH at that point. It will hover and let you control it again.
As you can see it is hard to anticipate every possible scenario and program an appropriate response for it.

The normal avoidance could still function tho, I tried it and flew full force onto an object and it did indeed stop, scary and weird moment but hey I have to trust DJI's products fully if I'm going to fly them around so I'll test everything before going in the air another time ;)

Anyways that said even when interrupting the RTH and its avoidance the normal flying one is still functioning (if not turned off of course) so this shouldn't be an issue.
2016-12-4
Use props
KM5RG-Robert
Captain
Flight distance : 2075213 ft
United States

EpicLPer Posted at 2016-12-5 00:46
The normal avoidance could still function tho, I tried it and flew full force onto an object and it did indeed stop, scary and weird moment but hey I have to trust DJI's products fully if I'm going to fly them around so I'll test everything before going in the air another time ;)

Anyways that said even when interrupting the RTH and its avoidance the normal flying one is still functioning (if not turned off of course) so this shouldn't be an issue.

But there is no avoidance on the top.
2016-12-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules