IMU Calibration Issue for Phantom 4 Pro
123Next >
21622 113 2016-12-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
breyman
New

United States

I'm new to Phantom flying and am excited to start, but, unfortunately, am grounded before I even took my first flight. I did research via multiple areas and couldn't find an answer that applies.

I just received a new Phantom 4 Pro. Upon turning it on, I was prompted to upgrade the controller and drone firmware. I did both and both ran through succesfully. After that, the app indicates that IMU Calibration must be completed prior to flying. I followed the prompts and started the IMU Calibration, although the ACC2 indicator says Data Error. It's on screen 1/6 and gets 95% of the way through that screen but then stops. It won't proceed even after letting it sit for 10+ minutes. The drone's light has a fast green blink on it.

I tried powering everything off and restarting IMU calibration several times, including after letting it cool off. Nothing is allowing me to finish the calibration. See some screenshots below. Thoughts?

IMUCalibration2.PNG
Pic of frozen screen. It stays at this indefinitely. Once it hits this point, the light on the P4P starts blinking green.

IMUCalibration1.gif
Picture of the status screen after I start the calibration "running" (ie frozen). I get to this if I close and reopen the app. It detects that it's still trying to calibrate.

IMUCalibration3.gif
Picture of screen indicating I need to run an IMU calibration, but before I actually click run.

Thanks,
Brian

2016-12-2
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

Could you clarify what mobile device you have? Have you tried performing a factory reset in the Assistant 2 Software?
2016-12-2
Use props
DRONE-flies-YOU
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1450594 ft
United States

That app screen doesn't look right - it looks old.  My P4P "Sensor State" screen doesn't have the older "IMU/Compass" tabs along the top - its all on 1 screen now.  

Also, try another USB-to-micro USB cable.
2016-12-2
Use props
isabelle
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1821 ft
France

Hi,
I think I have the same problem as you

2016-12-3
Use props
sklorek.pl
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1000207 ft
  • >>>
Poland

I have the same problem in two p4 pro
2016-12-3
Use props
sklorek.pl
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1000207 ft
  • >>>
Poland

not allowed new upgrade firmware..       problem IMU
2016-12-3
Use props
breyman
New

United States

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2016-12-2 23:27
Could you clarify what mobile device you have? Have you tried performing a factory reset in the Assi ...

Using iOS app on an iPad Air 2.

I have tried going into Assistant 2 - installed on my Mac (with Sierra) and my Windows 10 PC and both don't seem to recognize anything. A screen comes up when I launch the Assistant program that is a circle indicating to plug it in, but plugging it in on either computer doesn't seem to do anything.
2016-12-3
Use props
breyman
New

United States

isabelle Posted at 2016-12-3 01:12
Hi,

Your problem actually looks a bit different. You get to the final screen and it actually errors out. Mine literally never leaves the 1/6 screen. The progress bar gets nearly to the end and then just stops and two of the drone lights start rapid flashing green. Nothing else progresses/happens for me (I never get to those additional screens indicating to tilt, flip it over, etc.).
2016-12-3
Use props
breyman
New

United States

DRONE-flies-YOU Posted at 2016-12-3 00:26
That app screen doesn't look right - it looks old.  My P4P "Sensor State" screen doesn't have the ol ...

Hmmm - maybe you're on Android? I'm on the newest released 4.0 version of the DJI app on iOS 10.

Thanks for the tip on cables - tried a few, but unfortunately didn't make a difference.
2016-12-3
Use props
breyman
New

United States

Only two things that are jumping out at me are:
1) does the ACC2 Data Error in my last screenshot mean anything?

2) Maybe I have corrupted firmware? I can't seem to get it to talk to DJI Assistant on either of my computers... although short of the IMU pieces, it seems to be working. The camera is on and transmitting data, all other status screens seem normal. It's just this IMU thing...
2016-12-3
Use props
R&L Aerial
Second Officer
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

I'm getting the same -22 error?? And official response from DJI would be nice since this is a wide spread problem
2016-12-3
Use props
Leon2016
lvl.1
Flight distance : 93852 ft
Germany

Well, I've got the same problem. I have the latest version of the DJI Go 4 app, running on iOS 10. I have tried calibrating the IMU a few times already, but every single time
it showed the error screen at the end.
2016-12-3
Use props
Leon2016
lvl.1
Germany

Yesterday I also had an issue with the camera ( it was just moving around crazily) but this is gone again.
2016-12-3
Use props
Leon2016
lvl.1
Germany

Has anyone received a statement by DJI about it? Via E-mail,...?
2016-12-3
Use props
Natemare13
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

Same problem. I cannot complete an IMU calibration. No error. Just gets stuck at 3/6.
2016-12-3
Use props
Snowwolfwarrior
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1064780 ft
United Kingdom

Leon2016 Posted at 2016-12-3 14:47
Has anyone received a statement by DJI about it? Via E-mail,...?

Not heard anything
2016-12-3
Use props
R&L Aerial
Second Officer
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

Can someone from DJI say what's upwith this IMU  error -22???????? I've got a very expensive doorstop right know and I need to know if I have to return it????
2016-12-3
Use props
Hooks
lvl.3
Flight distance : 226450 ft
Canada

I also have the error code 22 at the end of IMU calibration... Still letting the bird fly though.  Hopefully this is fixable via firmware.
2016-12-3
Use props
breyman
New

United States

Two updates:
1) I did submit an email ticket to DJI - no response yet.
2) Using a thicker micro usb cable, I was able to connect to DJI ASsistant 2. I rolled back the software to the version it was at with the drone (not all the way back - one version back).

Unfortunately, still same issue, no changes. Freezes up in the first screen of HMI calibration, with the note about the ACC2 Data Error before I start the calibration. I'm wondering if that data error indicates a hardware issue?
2016-12-3
Use props
fans8ff129f2
lvl.1

Denmark

isabelle Posted at 2016-12-3 09:12
Hi,

Same problem here, no flights yet.
2016-12-3
Use props
RichardHurst
Banned
Flight distance : 2342808 ft
United Kingdom

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2016-12-3
Use props
Okcip
lvl.1

Germany

Same Problem. Error -22! No Flight possible
2016-12-3
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

breyman Posted at 2016-12-4 02:18
Two updates:
1) I did submit an email ticket to DJI - no response yet.
2) Using a thicker micro usb  ...

Acc2 would be an accelerometer has gone out. If the error persists after a firmware downgrade and another IMU calibration attempt, this would indicate that theres a hardware issue that would require a repair. If you just sent out an email to the NA Support team Yesterday or Today, then you will get a response by Monday when the facility opens up again.
2016-12-3
Use props
Okcip
lvl.1

Germany

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2016-12-4 00:15
Acc2 would be an accelerometer has gone out. If the error persists after a firmware downgrade and  ...

Acc2 would be an accelerometer has gone out. If the error persists after a firmware downgrade and another IMU calibration attempt, this would indicate that theres a hardware issue that would require a repair. If you just sent out an email to the NA Support team Yesterday or Today, then you will get a response by Monday when the facility opens up again.
2016-12-3
Use props
Okcip
lvl.1

Germany

And the Solution for our, different Problem?
2016-12-3
Use props
DJI-BladeStrike
lvl.4
Flight distance : 872694 ft
  • >>>
United States

Until we hear something official from R&D can you please try a few things.

I want you guys to connect to the assistant 2 and do a firmware refresh. After that please do a factory reset and see what the status of the IMU is. If it's not throwing any errors then please do not calibrate. I have a feeling this might be app based and not craft side. This is 100% speculation on my part.

If you cant get the craft to connect to the computer please reinstall the assistant and make sure the driver is being installed correctly.
2016-12-3
Use props
DJI-BladeStrike
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

After doing some more research please put the craft in the refrigerator for at least an hour or two, without battery. Then make sure you start the calibration as soon as possible.. This means to have the app open and already at the sensor screen.
2016-12-3
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DJI-BladeStrike Posted at 2016-12-4 01:02
After doing some more research please put the craft in the refrigerator for at least an hour or two, ...

And you cover any condensation damage ?

Or guarantee warranty when detection strip shows was exposed to moisture ?
2016-12-3
Use props
DJI-BladeStrike
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Aardvark Posted at 2016-12-3 17:08
And you cover any condensation damage ?

Or guarantee warranty when detection strip shows was expo ...

There wont be much of any condensation, people have been chilling crafts since the inspire. If you don't feel comfortable then wait and contact support on Monday.

If you feel better letting the craft cool outside this will work as well as long as it's about 40F or lower.
2016-12-3
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DJI-BladeStrike Posted at 2016-12-4 01:28
There wont be much of any condensation, people have been chilling crafts since the inspire. If you ...

I understand what you are saying, but as you are a DJI employee many will read your response as formal instruction from DJI.

One simple test, put a glass in the fridge for two hours and then take it out and see if any condensation.

On previous models the only advantage of cooling was to reduce the IMU warm up time.
2016-12-3
Use props
DJI-BladeStrike
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Aardvark Posted at 2016-12-3 17:57
I understand what you are saying, but as you are a DJI employee many will read your response as fo ...

actually it wasn't just about warm up time. It gives a more accurate calibration table at a wider temp range.

if I suggest something and it damages the craft we take responsibility..
2016-12-3
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DJI-BladeStrike Posted at 2016-12-4 02:03
actually it wasn't just about warm up time. It gives a more accurate calibration table at a wider  ...

Thank you for the clarification
2016-12-3
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

isabelle Posted at 2016-12-3 08:12
Hi,

Instead of rotating the aircraft 180 degrees to get it on its back (Approx' 53 seconds into your video), try just tilting it straight back with the bottom facing you.
2016-12-3
Use props
RichardHurst
Banned
United Kingdom

2016-12-4
Use props
isabelle
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1821 ft
France

Hi,
Please let me tell you that I tested all the propositions, without more success :
- put the drone in the cold for a while
- refresh the firmware
- factory reset
- rotation with tilting it straight back with the bottom facing you
It always show failure.
I also sent the flight data log in the dropbox and I'm still waiting for an answer.
2016-12-4
Use props
Leon2016
lvl.1
Germany

isabelle Posted at 2016-12-4 09:38
Hi,
Please let me tell you that I tested all the propositions, without more success :
- put the dron ...

Keep us posted!
2016-12-4
Use props
Snowwolfwarrior
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1064780 ft
United Kingdom

Hi Richard, let us know how you get on, bearing in mind when I was doing my first IMU calibration it was outside at minus 3 but it is worth a go, I also done another IMU cal at night and had left the craft outside at minus 3 for about 40 mins and then did a calibration still with no luck, but two hours in fridge may do the trick, fingers crossed
2016-12-4
Use props
Leon2016
lvl.1
Germany

I think I'm going to try it after cooling it down.Is minus 8 degrees too cold or not (outside)?
2016-12-4
Use props
RichardHurst
Banned
United Kingdom

2016-12-4
Use props
Okcip
lvl.1

Germany