No success!
2016-12-4
Use props
QiiFlight
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2999472 ft
  • >>>
United States

FWIW, I performed  NO calibrations on my P4P and have had NO issues. I updated ALL firmware and went straight to low height/close flight "testing". Everything works like a champ.
2016-12-4
Use props
DJI-BladeStrike
Second Officer
Flight distance : 872694 ft
  • >>>
United States

I agree I don't know why people are IMU calibrating if no warning is appearing. from the mavic up,  these craft shouldn't be compass calibrated or imu calibrated unless told to do so via the software.

Anyways this is reported to R&D and we will have to wait for a response. Thank you for your patience !
2016-12-4
Use props
RichardHurst
Banned
Flight distance : 2342808 ft
United Kingdom

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2016-12-4
Use props
fans8ff129f2
lvl.1

Denmark

Mine asked for the IMU calibration right out of the box. Getting the error 22 on both IMUs. Anyway it should be possible to do calibrating whenever you like, necessary or not. It looks to me that the product has been shipped whit some kind of bug that has grounded a lot of people.
2016-12-4
Use props
Leon2016
lvl.1
Flight distance : 93852 ft
Germany

Well, I agree. But one should still be able to calibrate the IMU, whether they are told to or not! So people who were told to do a IMU calibration can fly
2016-12-4
Use props
PhanFran
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4804163 ft
  • >>>
Belgium

DJI-BladeStrike Posted at 2016-12-4 16:01
I agree I don't know why people are IMU calibrating if no warning is appearing. from the mavic up,   ...

Bladestrike,

it's not only the failure to calibrate IMU (and I agree that you should be very careful flying with an uncalibrated AC, also legally, even when you follow all the rules). My P4P makes 2 out of three times that I start him up (NOT to fly it but during one of the zillion tries to calibrate him) 'strange' noise like a minimotor pushing some rod out is at the end and still tries to push the rod further out. Don't know if anything like that is inside the AC at all but that's how it SOUNDS anyway. 1 time in 3 I get the 'usual' startup-noise of a P4 ( I own 2 P4's, one P3A and, since a few days, one P4P). The noise makes me think of the noise you hear when seated next to the wings in an airplane and the flaps are moved out or in but then it ends in a louder noise as if the motor wants to pull the flaps further inside but can't. Again a -maybe stupid- way to describe the sound.
Anyway, European Support has promised me a replacement and I'm waiting for that. In the mean time, I'm not going to fly my P4P.
2016-12-4
Use props
Okcip
lvl.1

Germany

Btw.: Meanwhile i could sometimes start the Drone without successful calibration. I got a wind warning, though it was not windy at all. The drone swayed heavily.
2016-12-4
Use props
Okcip
lvl.1

Germany

I sent DJI my flight details. Now I suddenly get this message in the DJI Go app and an update was carried out. I just could fly without problems.

I will also try the IMU calibration later. The first attempt with warm device has not worked yet.

The German text means:
Incompatible firmware found. Incompatibility may occur between different modules and the device. Continue update?
2016-12-4
Use props
DJI-BladeStrike
Second Officer
Flight distance : 872694 ft
  • >>>
United States

Agreed all, it should calibrate no mater if it needs it or not..

For those that are seeing this please stand by we should have a solution pretty fast now that they weekend is over.

Thank you for your patience!
2016-12-4
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

RichardHurst Posted at 2016-12-5 02:06
I was always told after a firmware update you should do a IMU calibration. But even if your now sa ...

"I was always told after a firmware update you should do a IMU calibration"

By who?
Just because you hear it in forums doesn't mean it is correct.
DJI never officially said anything about recalibrating the IMU after firmware updates.
2016-12-4
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

breyman Posted at 2016-12-3 21:21
Only two things that are jumping out at me are:
1) does the ACC2 Data Error in my last screenshot me ...

Hi breyman, could you please upload the flight data to dropbox and send me the link?
You can use the same method as for the Phantom 4.
Here is a video tutorial for reference:

2016-12-4
Use props
fansa84fe8a4
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3 ft
United States

Labroides Posted at 2016-12-4 17:03

By who?

Read this thread:  http://forum.dji.com/thread-48932-1-1.html

Two from DJI suggest IMU calibration following an update.  One says "fw upgrade" too.

Has this changed and is no longer their recommended procedure?
2016-12-4
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

fansa84fe8a4 Posted at 2016-12-5 13:46
Read this thread:  http://forum.dji.com/thread-48932-1-1.html

Two from DJI suggest IMU calibratio ...

A lot of things you read on this forum are wrong.
And that includes some from people who have DJI- before their name.
If it was important it would have been in the manual and/or quick start guide (and it's never been)
The recalibrate IMU (and/or compass) after a firmware upgrade thing has always been just a forum myth.
2016-12-4
Use props
DRONE-flies-YOU
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1638323 ft
United States

Labroides Posted at 2016-12-4 19:13
And that includes some from people who have DJI-  ...

I did a FW update to my P4P (xx150 to xx201) via DJI Assistant 2 on an iMac (El Capitan).  Afterwards, not only did I still not have to do my first IMU or compass calibration, but ALL of the values for accelerometer, gyro, compass were even LOWER than when I started!  They are all a few thousandth (ie: 0.003 & a speck of green bar).
2016-12-4
Use props
buxdronex
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2100013 ft
  • >>>
Italy

The same problem error 22

the  official dji post of imu calibration

http://forum.dji.com/thread-54253-1-1.html
2016-12-4
Use props
buxdronex
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2100013 ft
  • >>>
Italy

DJI-BladeStrike Posted at 2016-12-5 01:32
Agreed all, it should calibrate no mater if it needs it or not..

For those that are seeing this please stand by we should have a solution pretty fast now that they weekend is over.

The same problem error 22

the  official dji post of imu calibration

http://forum.dji.com/thread-54253-1-1.html

Thanks
2016-12-4
Use props
R&L Aerial
First Officer
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

DJI-BladeStrike Posted at 2016-12-4 10:01
I agree I don't know why people are IMU calibrating if no warning is appearing. from the mavic up,  these craft shouldn't be compass calibrated or imu calibrated unless told to do so via the software.

Anyways this is reported to R&D and we will have to wait for a response. Thank you for your patience !

Because we are prompted to calibrate the IMU!!!!!!!!!!!!!
2016-12-5
Use props
RichardHurst
Banned
United Kingdom

2016-12-5
Use props
Issue
lvl.2

Sweden

Hi.

Sorry again for missing this thread, i started a new one.

Have been reading every post now. My aircraft does not ask for calibration so i guess, if understanding mods here, i can fly like there is no problem?
I am not sure how to read the values but in the picture after restart it looks not to bad. Hope we get a firmware update to fix this soon.

After calibration 22 error.

After calibration 22 error.

After aircraft restart.

After aircraft restart.
2016-12-5
Use props
RichardHurst
Banned
United Kingdom

2016-12-5
Use props
fans4861cfa3
lvl.3
Flight distance : 7046667 ft
  • >>>
France

its same problem foor everybody !! now we have 6 posts with IMU calibration error -22 and impossible to take off and 0 data GPs avalaible...so what dji propose...
2016-12-5
Use props
fansa84fe8a4
Second Officer
United States

Hope the P4 Pro doesn't become DJI's "Karma" drone with this IMU bug and can't get airborne as a result.  I'm glad the big box stores haven't gotten stock and sold these yet for Xmas, that and I might have ended up with one myself too by now.  Two bad P4's right out of the box was enough for me to not trust mail-order and the slowness of returns or repairs for refurbs.

I'm still thinking this is a fault of the IMU itself getting jarred and stuck somehow, and why some crashed drones will not fly upon repair without replacing that unit.  Adding more twists to the calibration process might tighten up flight characteristics though if this new IMU system works as it should.  However, if it is so sensitive it requests a calibration from something that caused it to ask for one, and then it fails becoming unable to fly, who knows?

Another could be since this occurs on the back, if one motor or arm is higher than the IMU can compensate for?  I'm wondering if one could just put it back on its feet and see if it continues without an error.  Just a WAG if the parallelism is different from feet-IMU vs. IMU-top which I would think would be the same unless it is designed different.  Maybe someone should try the older model trick of using a piece of glass on the tops of the motors and see if they are level compared to the base or feet?  If they differ, might be something there.

Aside, the P4P reviewers must have gotten seriously checked-out units as I don't recall any reviewers having this IMU -22 mess.  Maybe they needed no calibration as GO 4 wasn't out in full version?  Something went askew in QC during the public released units.  After Xmas, and more of these toys get out there, this could become a huge mess for DJI if R&D doesn't find a fix quick and it goes the way of the Karma.

Anyhoo, best wishes to those getting theirs fixed and let's wait to see what DJI comes up with for a permanent fix.
2016-12-5
Use props
fans4861cfa3
lvl.3
Flight distance : 7046667 ft
  • >>>
France

so i think everybody make new update firmware wiith DJI ASSITANT 2.0 ver 1.7 and all is fine, i wnt fly and go outside and dji go 4.0 ask me to provide calibration COMPASS ok, normal is First fly and ask to to IMU calibation in red and open help page where you hhave 6 steps...and i follow step and after 10 minutes nothing happen so i turn off aircraft and RC and now i have red message impossible to take off and 0 gps data
2016-12-5
Use props
Okcip
lvl.1

Germany

Labroides Posted at 2016-12-5 04:13
And that includes some from people who have DJI- before their name.
If it was important it would have been in the manual and/or quick start guide (and it's never been)
The recalibrate IMU (and/or compass) after a firmware upgrade thing has always been just a forum myth.

After the FM update, I was asked to calibrate the IMU. Definitely!

You should not write about things that you may not understand. This confuses only users.
2016-12-5
Use props
PhanFran
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4804163 ft
  • >>>
Belgium

Labroides Posted at 2016-12-5 02:03

By who?

Labroides,

I always appreciate your input but this time i have to disagree.

1) Several people (not all with the IMU error 22-problem) got the message after firmware update that they should calibrate IMU, which failed.

2) Saying that Calibration of IMU is not needed or not necessary seems strange. If that would be the case, why would there be even the option of calibration ?

3) As I wrote in other posts for some of the people with the error -22 the failure of calibration of IMU I and or II is not the only problem. Several operators found out if they tried to fly their AC even without the calibration, that they couldn't get more than just a few (2 - 4) satellites which kept them in Atti. This happened with me also: it took my P4P 4 or 5 minutes before it finally had 10 satellites and switched to the green 'GPS'-mode, I took off only to find out that I lost almost all of my satellites immediately and found myself in Atti-mode again. That, combined with the new 'feature' that you can not land anymore by just descending until you touch the ground (the P4P hovers about 30 cms above the ground and you have to manually activate a slider on the screen to make it finally touch the ground and land), makes flying with an unstable AC much more difficult: while you reach for the screen to make the landing happen and in ATTI the AC can easily fly into something near it because it is not stabilized at all.And, for clarity's sake: my two P4's and my P3A worked flawlessly under exactly the same circumstanes and at the same time and place.
2016-12-5
Use props
Okcip
lvl.1

Germany

In addition, the phantom began to fluctuate greatly and the display appeared the message "strong wind". There was no wind. This is dangerous.
2016-12-5
Use props
Snowwolfwarrior
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1064780 ft
United Kingdom

I had the same problem with the high wind warnings but there was zero wind, I also had total loss of signal at 500 meters at 115 meters elevation in the middle of nowhere and it initiated return to home, never had this happen in 137 flights of the P4 so just fly carefully with the P4P until these problems get ironed out with updates
2016-12-5
Use props
QiiFlight
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2999472 ft
  • >>>
United States

PhanFran Posted at 2016-12-5 14:14
Labroides,

I always appreciate your input but this time i have to disagree.

"...combined with the new 'feature' that you can not land anymore by just descending until you touch the ground (the P4P hovers about 30 cms above the ground and you have to manually activate a slider on the screen to make it finally touch the ground and land)..."

My P4P does not do this. I descend, land and a couple of seconds later the motors stop while holding the left stick down.
2016-12-5
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Okcip Posted at 2016-12-5 18:34
After the FM update, I was asked to calibrate the IMU. Definitely!

You should not write about things that you may not understand. This confuses only users.

Was that the one where the advice was to leave in fridge for two hours ?
2016-12-5
Use props
Okcip
lvl.1

Germany

Aardvark Posted at 2016-12-5 21:00

It was the DJI Go App!

So difficult to understand?
2016-12-5
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Okcip Posted at 2016-12-5 20:16
It was the DJI Go App!

So difficult to understand?

You'd already stated that you were asked to do an IMU calibration. I had assumed that a member of the DJI staff or support team had advised you to do so. My question was, did that involve putting it in the fridge for two hours ?

2016-12-5
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

Aardvark Posted at 2016-12-5 13:00

You should not put your aircraft in your fridge for 2hrs.
2016-12-5
Use props
R&L Aerial
First Officer
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-12-5 15:51

@ Ken, have you heard anything about this IMU -22 error??? Be aware that the p4 pro prompted me to do the IMU calibration.
2016-12-5
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-12-5 20:51

I know that  very well, but read posts 28-33. Confirmed by DJI no less.
2016-12-5
Use props
Snowwolfwarrior
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1064780 ft
United Kingdom

Putting in the fridge does not help
2016-12-5
Use props
fansa84fe8a4
Second Officer
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-12-5 12:51

Ken, did you read DJI-BladeStrike's refrigerate post on page 1 of this thread, about 14 from the bottom?

Quote:
"After doing some more research please put the craft in the refrigerator for at least an hour or two, without battery. Then make sure you start the calibration as soon as possible.. This means to have the app open and already at the sensor screen."

What a mess!!
2016-12-5
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

fansa84fe8a4 Posted at 2016-12-5 14:04
Ken, did you read DJI-BladeStrike's refrigerate post on page 1 of this thread, about 14 from the bottom?

Quote:

I just seen that, you are free to do as you choose. I've put aircraft in the fridge before to reduce the time of IMU warmup but I only have done it for 20 minutes or so.
2016-12-5
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

Snowwolfwarrior Posted at 2016-12-5 13:57
Putting in the fridge does not help

It will reduce the IMU warmup time.
2016-12-5
Use props
Issue
lvl.2

Sweden

fansa84fe8a4 Posted at 2016-12-5 22:04

Quote:

Indeed.

One say always calibrate after fireware update. Other say only do it when app requests.

One say put it in fridge, it is totaly safe. Other say you should not.

I wonder who you should listen to.. No wonder people are confused. And no wonder the drones doesn't work if this represents how dji works.
2016-12-5
Use props
123Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules