1904 9 2016-12-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fansc0cdc59f
lvl.3
Flight distance : 442743 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

We were out on a job yesterday with the Inspire ProX5, where the temperature was about 5 dgerees C. We flew well with five batteries, with no problem, as we kept the batts in the car. However, on the sixth battery I couldn't start the Inspire. I got a warning saying something about the battery is below 15 degrees! The battery had in fact been sat outside on the floor for about 15 minutes, but even so, it would not have dropped significantly from the 5 degrees air temperature. Besides, would this really have prevented the aircraft from starting? When we got back home I left the battery on the table for two hours and then found that ithe Inspiure started with no problem at all.

Is this normal behaviour for the Inspire batteries?
2016-12-3
Use props
Dobmatt
First Officer
Flight distance : 1831050 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Yes, it is. They're very sensitive for low temp (firmware inflicted). Invest in electric blanket and warm'em before leaving home.
2016-12-3
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

Like Dobmatt mentioned, these batteries are extremely sensitive to the cold and there can be some major consequences in flight should the battery not be allowed to warm up. DJI does sell battery warmers for this reason, and other customers have used other methods to get them warmed up for safe use.
2016-12-3
Use props
Aeromirage
First Officer
Flight distance : 1778045 ft
  • >>>
United States

I was flying one day last winter and landed to change battery. Switched battery then a curious onlooker engaged me in conversation for only 2 or 3 minutes. When I tried to take off, got cold battery indicator. Changed it to another that had remained in the case and all was fine. As others have mentioned, these puppies are very sensitive to the cold. Starting out. Of course, after flying a minute or so, they get quite warm, even in the cold. But they need to start off warm.
2016-12-3
Use props
fansc0cdc59f
lvl.3
Flight distance : 442743 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Ah, OK. Thanks for the feedback guys, appreciated. We haven't done much cold weather flying, so I guess it's a learning curve. I've just ordered a thermal box and some gel hand warmers. I will look at a more permanent way of keeping all the batteries nice and warm in future. Cheers.
2016-12-4
Use props
Mark Guille
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2031818 ft
Jersey

I've had the same warning, popped the battery in my pocket for less than five minutes and Presto, working again. In cold weather, I keep half dozen batteries down the front of me keks, an old boy scout trick (be prepared).

Mark G.
2016-12-4
Use props
Donnie
First Officer
Flight distance : 3636782 ft
United States

Mark Guille Posted at 2016-12-4 04:10
I've had the same warning, popped the battery in my pocket for less than five minutes and Presto, wo ...

So when some gal comes up to you they can say " Are those batteries in your pocket....  or are you just Happy to see me !  ( q -rimshot in the backround )

***By the way are from the States originally ?  I thought you were from Jersey ?  Just to be fair, I live in the USA -East Lansing, Michigan to be more precise .  

donnie

2016-12-4
Use props
Mark Guille
Second Officer
Jersey

Donnie Posted at 2016-12-4 13:49
So when some gal comes up to you they can say " Are those batteries in your pocket....  or are you just Happy to see me !  ( q -rimshot in the backround )

***By the way are from the States originally ?  I thought you were from Jersey ?  Just to be fair, I live in the USA -East Lansing, Michigan to be more precise .  

Donnie,  I'm not sure why it says Jersey but I actually live in Guernsey, born and bread.

Mark G.
WhereisGuernsey.jpg
2016-12-5
Use props
Mark Guille
Second Officer
Jersey

Mark Guille Posted at 2016-12-5 10:45
Donnie,  I'm not sure why it says Jersey but I actually live in Guernsey, born and bread.
[view_image]

Jersey is the small island to the right of guernsey.
2016-12-5
Use props
Donnie
First Officer
Flight distance : 3636782 ft
United States

Mark Guille Posted at 2016-12-5 04:45
[view_image]

Oh,  very cool .  If I ever make it to Scotland , I will take a Journey South to Guernsey.  My Granddad was from Dundee Scotland.
I will buy you a Pint of Guinness !!

Cheers

donnie
2016-12-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules