Preferred Method To Tranfer Files From Mavic To Desktop?
12788 15 2016-12-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
jvanderhoff
lvl.3
Flight distance : 14045 ft
United States

Hey all, I'm trying to figure out if there is a best method for transfering files from the Mavic to a desktop computer.

So far I have found the following:

Eject the Micro-SD and use a card reader.
Cons: wear of the memory card door on the mavic, wear on the card spring and lock inside the mavic

Use a micro USB cable and connect directly to the Mavic.
Cons: Must power up the Mavic for desktop to recognize the device. Wear of the micro USB door cover on the Mavic.

Any better methods that forum users have found?

Thanks all.
2016-12-3
Use props
Rlivingston
lvl.2

United States

Way better to pop out the SD card. The reason for this is because the transfer speeds are higher then using USB. Also the drone needs to be on to use the USB meaning if you have several GB's of files to transfer you are going to need to charge your battery just to transfer files.
2016-12-3
Use props
TBird_RainyLake
lvl.2
Flight distance : 283930 ft
United States

I agree with Rlivingston.  I tried both methods and found removing SD much faster for transferring data.
2016-12-3
Use props
grozmo
lvl.2
Australia

I use a card reader.. I'd rather use the battery life for flying rather than transferring files!
2016-12-3
Use props
dzid_
New
United States

Mavic - the most power consuming card reader.  It's radiculus that we even have to keep battery in, just to read sd card.  
I think Spark is the only one that has it done properly.  
2018-2-18
Use props
Dorset_Horn
Second Officer
Flight distance : 93379 ft
United Kingdom

I used the cable-transfer system yesterday to load footage to G**gle Drive on a laptop. Not only could I not view the video through the WMP installed, I found I couldn't transfer, period. I got a warning that "connection had been lost". I wonder if it was a speed issue?
I slipped out the SD and proceeded as normal. Successfully.
2018-2-18
Use props
CycleParadise
Second Officer
Flight distance : 385338 ft
United States

As others do, I pop the SD card out and use a reader to copy it directly to my computer and/or laptop.

If I want to get the files on my phone (because it'll automatically back up to Google Photos), then I"ll download the files through the Go4 app.

I don't ever transfer the files using a USB cable connected from the aircraft to the computer. I guess for me, if I'm going though that effort, I'm just going to removed the SD card.
2018-2-18
Use props
M2Wair
First Officer
Flight distance : 1192231 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Card reader for me too.
2018-2-18
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13864580 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Adaptor that came with the card
2018-2-18
Use props
Bekaru Tree
First Officer
Flight distance : 15513100 ft
South Africa

card reader - sd card: open and close the door carefully each time, should not be a problem. did not yet hear about spring issues on this forum or generally either
2018-2-18
Use props
StanfordWebbie
Second Officer
Flight distance : 178018 ft
United States

Card reader.
2018-2-18
Use props
Brad Bilger
Second Officer
Flight distance : 14843274 ft
United States

Definitely use a card reader.  
2018-2-18
Use props
eddieNoob
lvl.4
United States

That spring detent for the SD card in the Mavic body would have to be actuated at least a thousand times before showing any deterioration, IF then. You'll probably be dead and gone, or at least moved on to future drones before that happens. As to the access door: be gentle, and keep it away from your dog.....
You do need a micro SD card adaptor for most readers tho, but the micros generally come with an adaptor.
2018-2-19
Use props
Cameleon
lvl.4
Flight distance : 60394 ft
United Kingdom

I'd use the cable if you didnt have to power the drone on, but as you do have to power it on, I eject the microSD card and use a card adapter.
2018-2-19
Use props
Matthew Chirico
First Officer
Flight distance : 769160 ft
United States

100% card reader!
2018-2-19
Use props
Lamplighter55
Second Officer
Flight distance : 538596 ft
United Kingdom

Yup card adapter microSD to SD then in a USB3 card reader - helps shift those gigabytes as quickly as possible! If the door on the Mavic goes in time, I can always stick a bit of gaffer silver tape over (matched the MPP paint nicely :-).
2018-2-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules