Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Ham Radio operators, good use for a drone
2156 7 2016-12-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans8cf0d029
lvl.3
Flight distance : 124672 ft
United States

Being an amateur radio operator, I frequently build antennas of wire only.  These need to be suspended rather high off the ground.  I can take my Phantom 4 and drag a fishing line with a lead weight attached, over a treetop and land. The lead weight can be placed on the line to prevent contact with the props.    From this fishing line, I can then pull the heavier wire antenna over the tree as needed.  Also, it is easy to determine line of sight from your antenna site simply by flying the drone to the location of the antenna and using the camera to record the view to the target antenna.  What other uses can be thought up?
WA5TEF
2016-12-4
Use props
Hawkeye54
lvl.1

United States

Tieing a line to a drone to drape over a tree is very risky. what if the line gets tangled in a branch, You just lost your drone.
2016-12-4
Use props
fans8cf0d029
lvl.3
United States

Hawkeye54 Posted at 2016-12-4 11:07
Tieing a line to a drone to drape over a tree is very risky. what if the line gets tangled in a bran ...

Not if you fly it high enough and with enough line to clear the tree before you start to land.  Simply pay out enough line to clear the tree.
WA5TEF
2016-12-4
Use props
WA5TEF
lvl.3
United States

fans8cf0d029 Posted at 2016-12-4 09:12
Not if you fly it high enough and with enough line to clear the tree before you start to land.  Simply pay out enough line to clear the tree.
WA5TEF

I found a better way.  I taped a short wooden dowel to the landing strutts so it stuck out about 6 inches to the front.  I then made a loop in the end of the fishing line, or parachute cord and had a weight attached to the short end.  I looped the line over this dowel and flew the drone dragging the semi slack line over the tree and about double the height.  Then pulled it farther over in the clear and simply yawed the drone so it turned 180 degrees and the semi slack line pulled it off the dowel allowing it to fall straight down.  I used this 5 or 6 times to hand a 160 meter double bazooka on my tower side arm at 110 feet.  Just be sure you don't do what I did first attempt and drop the weight just over the target.  Mine fell down through the tower and lodged, requiring a rather long climb to retrieve it.

Jim
WA5TEF
2018-12-4
Use props
Vincent D
lvl.4
Flight distance : 622841 ft
United States

WA5TEF Posted at 12-4 16:13
I found a better way.  I taped a short wooden dowel to the landing strutts so it stuck out about 6 inches to the front.  I then made a loop in the end of the fishing line, or parachute cord and had a weight attached to the short end.  I looped the line over this dowel and flew the drone dragging the semi slack line over the tree and about double the height.  Then pulled it farther over in the clear and simply yawed the drone so it turned 180 degrees and the semi slack line pulled it off the dowel allowing it to fall straight down.  I used this 5 or 6 times to hand a 160 meter double bazooka on my tower side arm at 110 feet.  Just be sure you don't do what I did first attempt and drop the weight just over the target.  Mine fell down through the tower and lodged, requiring a rather long climb to retrieve it.

Glad to see a fellow Ham here on the forum. I have used my drone many times to string my antennas. It works great .
2018-12-14
Use props
RMJovo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1716240 ft
United States

I will have to give this a try I have 1/2 of a experimental 160M dipole I need to redo...W0QKL
2018-12-14
Use props
Caspers driver
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4540515 ft
United States

With my luck this would be the 1st and only the I had a runaway!! Haha
N5YYX
2018-12-14
Use props
KEJ
lvl.4