Mavic range is an under discussed feature
4198 16 2016-12-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans423de705
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

I sold my Phantom 4 for the Mavic. I love the size and portability. My P4 would start to lose connecton at about 3 quarters of a mile.

With my Mavic I am exploring my extended neighborhood. This morning, I flew to a park 3.5 miles away and back at 150 ft altitude.

Simply amazing. Now it feels like an actual drone.

I dropped in on some kids playing basketball at a school 2 miles away. They waved to the drone before I flew back.

An amazing device.
2016-12-4
Use props
Enkeixpress
lvl.4
Flight distance : 297497 ft
United Kingdom

Yes, I have done the same thing. Sold a one month old Phantom 4 for the Mavic Pro. I've watched many YouTube videos of just how far the Mavic can reach in distance, regardless of altitude, and I've been left impressed time and time again. It really is the best drone out there right now imo, in that it can literally be taken anywhere and flown at anytime at a moment's notice. It's what mostly everyone wants in a aircraft.

It's true, one could go on about how the video quality of recorded footage from the Mavic is not equally as good as footage taken by the Phantom 4 Pro or Inspire 2 but in the end, everybody who owns the Mavic won't actually care about the slight lack of quality as they'll be too busy having fun flying the small drone around and being satisfied with the 4K footage it produces.
Phantom 4 with it's lightbridge technology was never perfect, I could tell just from flying around my neighborhood, would lose signal connection after around 500 metres or so.

OcuSync on the Mavic is much more efficient with maintaining stable signal at long range.

Pre-ordered the Fly More Combo on the 9th November 2016, and will continue waiting for its eventual arrival.
2016-12-4
Use props
Free Bird
lvl.3

Canada

Yes, I wish I could fly mine, but it's not made yet.
2016-12-4
Use props
DaveAus
lvl.2
Flight distance : 100807 ft
Australia

Im too scared to fly mine that far away
I guess i will get braver the more flights i do
2016-12-4
Use props
Mavvy
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1386637 ft
United States

How much battery was remaining after this 3.5 mile flight ??
2016-12-4
Use props
fans423de705
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

Mavvy Posted at 2016-12-4 19:47
How much battery was remaining after this 3.5 mile flight ??

I didn't hover over the park for long. I had 48% flight battery remaining when I made it back home.

I used sport mode to get there and normal mode flying back.

This was my first time flying that distance so I turned around and came back as soon as I hit my destination.
2016-12-4
Use props
Farnk666
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1711394 ft
United States

So, to clarify.

You flew well beyond visual line of sight and captured footage of children (presumably not your own) playing in a schoolyard.

None of this strikes you as being inappropriate?
2016-12-4
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

fans423de705 Posted at 2016-12-4 21:03
I didn't hover over the park for long. I had 48% flight battery remaining when I made it back home ...

Although this flight distance is impressive, it is not legal in the US to fly outside Line of Sight.  Just not a good idea to fly like this incase anything happens with your aircraft.

Maybe you could experiment out in the Mohave desert where it would not hurt anyone...  I am not trying to rain on your parade.....  These types of actions will bring negative exposure to drones causing us to face new rules or banned completely. In my state the beaches and other beautiful areas have drones banned with posted signs.

Lets not add to the problem and fly safely.

Rich
2016-12-4
Use props
Mavvy
lvl.2
United States

Well i'll be the first to call bullshit on this one, because we all no by the time IMU is done, 98% battery is left for the most part, now i have been doing long distance runs with my Mavic since NOV.6th and always take note of how much battery life is left, my longest run, which was out over the ocean was 3.1 miles each way, so 6.2 mile flight and upon landing of that trip i had 29% battery left and that was over the wide open ocean with ZERO interference issues, now your saying you did this over your neighborhood filthy with wifi signal, YA Right, i have 12 hours of flight time on my mavic and completely know you my friend are full of shit, please post your flight routes, it's a small map video in your app, it provides all info, distance, height, mph battery, signal for RC and HD signal, and i will eat my words for you.  

And the 2nd video i post here i land with 22% Battery

3rd video is not mine but he did verified 3.26 miles each way and he lands with 12% battery left but you went furture than both of us doing 3.5 miles over wifi infested area and landed with 48% battery.    Bullshit, Bullshit Bullshiter you are !

2016-12-5
Use props
Heavysledz
lvl.4
Flight distance : 819491 ft
United States

getting some popcorn out and watching this movie unfold
2016-12-5
Use props
Steely Joe
lvl.1

United States

The objections are valid.  No way in hell that he did a 7 mille round trip and landed with 48% battery left.  No way.
2016-12-5
Use props
Mavvy
lvl.2
United States

Heavysledz Posted at 2016-12-5 17:28
getting some popcorn out and watching this movie unfold

Im melting butter now if ya want some
2016-12-5
Use props
devGOD
lvl.3
Flight distance : 200577 ft
United States

please do not fly into, schools, over kids, people, other home properties, etc... as cool and harmless as you might think it is, it's acts like that which will enforce strict laws.

Also i do hope you've taken the time to register your Mavic with the FAA
2016-12-5
Use props
Alansin
lvl.2
Flight distance : 634636 ft
Mexico

Ive flown mine at 2 km... but my balls were hurting, so i flew back, no problems, from the roof of my office, over residential area.
i tried the same now from the garden, with no sight on the drone, and it had poor conection, still managed like 1.5 kms or so.

amazing drone in my book.

also flown it at max altitude of 500mts., handle it like a champ, but it does get scary as the descending speed seems low sometimes.
2016-12-6
Use props
Enkeixpress
lvl.4
Flight distance : 297497 ft
United Kingdom

devGOD Posted at 2016-12-6 00:03
please do not fly into, schools, over kids, people, other home properties, etc... as cool and harmless as you might think it is, it's acts like that which will enforce strict laws.

Also i do hope you've taken the time to register your Mavic with the FAA

In my "world", there are no laws or petty rules. The only real way to live in life is without rules. And lets face it, the vast majority of Mavic Pro owners couldn't care any less about laws. As long as you aren't flying near airports or over large groups of people, everywhere else is fine.
2016-12-6
Use props
djiuser_OnW1HTsoYl3r
lvl.3
United States

Um...how?! In my neighborhood, I begin losing signal at about 1 kilometer! Not sure if I believe you...
2018-2-3
Use props
Bulldog
lvl.4
Flight distance : 816158 ft
United States

The word neighborhood can vary. My neighborhood has 4500 people in one of the largest geographical areas in all of California. From my house, on top of a mountain, on a calm day, that flight is possible no problem. Maybe not 48% battery, give a guy a break. However everything else seems doable from my point of view.

@mavvy Much different flying at 4k ft than sea level. You are fighting dense air at sea level, and usually strong winds. Around my place, 5 mile an hour gusts are rare for months during the summer.

What's up with the rule police in this thread. You guys need a safe space?
2018-2-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules