1st weekend flying, thoughts and issues
1234 10 2016-12-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Jcox3
lvl.3
Flight distance : 494806 ft
United States

The weather finally started to play nice in the Mid-Atlantic area this weekend and I was itching to get some flying in, in all I got 8 20min flights and 1st impressions are this is a awesome platform.

The flights were not with out issue, but over all the Mavic has a lot of potential.

None on the video issues were noticed until after flying

I did a mix of flights, the 1st day (Sat Dec 3) I left everything default out of the box, calibrated the IMU and compass. 10 min in to the flight I started to push the drone a little and had some butt clenching moments, the controller went unresponsive at 390 feet for what felt like forever, connectivity came back but compass errors began to show up. There are no high tension lines in the area but near (1.5ish miles) is a power plant. After reviewing the video, all of the video was giggling, I figured it was from shooting 4k, and wrote it off as that.
https://healthydrones.com/main?f ... ENERALNotifications

Day 2 (Sat Dec 4) I decided to shoot 2.7k and test the polar pro filters. Some compass errors, noticed that it looked like all of the footage was trying to auto focus even when I tapped to a further object than what I was shooting. I figured it might be the filters. Charged the batteries back up and decided to reshoot some of the same footage with out the filters to see if the auto focus issue went away, it didn't.  It was also noticed that the drone was drifting (panning) on it's own, no stick input, no gps or compass issues, or wind. I'm having trouble matching the drift video and data logs, but I think it is this one, https://healthydrones.com/main?f ... ENERALNotifications

Auto focus issues, I haven't seen this in anyone else’s videos yet

Drifting issues, actually a good looking shot, but there was no stick or wind input to cause it, happened a few times on the flights.

Unfortunately I can see that I potentially need to RMA the drone, which I was really hoping not to do just before the holidays.

Any input would be appreciated. I have yet to open a support case but going to.

2016-12-4
Use props
dotfiles
lvl.3

United States

You could try a stick calibration to see if that helps the with the yaw drifting issues you're seeing. For the AF issues I think you might be right about RMAing it. However try a gimbal calibration just to be sure.
2016-12-4
Use props
Wind Junkie
lvl.4
Flight distance : 116165 ft
United States

You calibrated the IMU right out of the box? I don't believe DJI suggest you do that, unless you noticed some sort of message or prompt on the app?
2016-12-4
Use props
Jcox3
lvl.3
United States

Wind Junkie Posted at 2016-12-4 21:12
You calibrated the IMU right out of the box? I don't believe DJI suggest you do that, unless you noticed some sort of message or prompt on the app?

I decided to run the calibration after getting a lot of compass errors on the 1st ans 2nd flight, after they don't show up in the logs but still noticed them in the controller. Maybe it wasn't the best idea, was just trying to eliminate possibilities.
2016-12-5
Use props
Jcox3
lvl.3
United States

dotfiles Posted at 2016-12-4 20:42
You could try a stick calibration to see if that helps the with the yaw drifting issues you're seeing. For the AF issues I think you might be right about RMAing it. However try a gimbal calibration just to be sure.

I will try a stick calibration today, when I checked after the flight they were both 0 at dead center. hopefully the weather will be ok later today.
2016-12-5
Use props
Jcox3
lvl.3
United States

I put some of the 4k videos on up also to show the jitter and auto focus issues

2016-12-6
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Hungary

Jcox3 Posted at 2016-12-5 15:11
I will try a stick calibration today, when I checked after the flight they were both 0 at dead center. hopefully the weather will be ok later today.

Don't think doing IMU will do any harm, try gimbal Cal and stick Cal , see if that helps, good luck..
2016-12-6
Use props
Jcox3
lvl.3
United States

Before I gave in and boxed my Mavic up to be shipped for service, I updated the firmware that was released today and did some test video indoor on the kitchen, sadly it made no difference. The auto focusing jittering still exists.
2016-12-6
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Hi Jcox3, we will contact you via your forum account email to guide you export the flight data and RC data.
Our engineers will help to check it.
2016-12-6
Use props
Jcox3
lvl.3
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 2016-12-7 01:37
Hi Jcox3, we will contact you via your forum account email to guide you export the flight data and RC data.
Our engineers will help to check it.

Thank you, it is very appreciated.

I sent the link to the logs this morning.
2016-12-7
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Jcox3 Posted at 2016-12-7 20:59
Thank you, it is very appreciated.

I sent the link to the logs this morning.

Thank you for your cooperation. :-)
2016-12-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules