Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Andy LIS
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3358875 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Hi folks,

I've noticed that when flying the MAvic around, and then yawing to line up a shot, before stopping, I need to let the gimbal settle for around 30 seconds or so, before it (the gimbal) stops drifting back round to the forward facing position.

I've flown it a few feet above me, and yawed the aircraft round for a few seconds, and then stopped.  You can see that the gimbal is not pointing forward perfectly, and then really slowly moves round to face forward.

I can understand that this might be desirable when recording a video, as it is clearly there to help damp out any variations in the yaw rate of the aircraft, to give the smoothest looking footage when panning.  However, when I am shooting stills (especially with longer exposures) the drift is causing the images to blur.

So, does anyone know if this is something that can be reduced or eliminated in the camera settings at all?  Or is it something we just have to put up with? I'll try and upload a video to demonstrate this evening.

Cheers
Andy
2016-12-5
Use props
Andy LIS
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Thinking about it, the thread title may be a bit confusing.  I'm not sure it is right to call it gimbal drift.  The gimbal doesn't drift around, it is just reaaaaally slow at returning to the facing forward position, after flying the Mavic about, and yawing to line a shot up.  
2016-12-5
Use props
BradC234
lvl.2
Flight distance : 219770 ft
Canada

I've seen this as well, haven't found a solution...
2016-12-5
Use props
Andy LIS
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I've just been doing a bit of reading on the camera settings, and I think it might be something to do with the " Gimbal Pan Synchronous Yaw" setting in the Gimbal settings menu.  I'm not sure, will hopefully get to test it this evening to see if it affects the speed at which the camera returns to face the front.

Cheers
Andy
2016-12-5
Use props
Danny-B-
lvl.4
Flight distance : 306640 ft
United Kingdom

Andy LIS Posted at 2016-12-5 15:46
I've just been doing a bit of reading on the camera settings, and I think it might be something to do with the " Gimbal Pan Synchronous Yaw" setting in the Gimbal settings menu.  I'm not sure, will hopefully get to test it this evening to see if it affects the speed at which the camera returns to face the front.

Yes, thats the setting ... you can test it when on the ground too .. if you have it switched on and flick the yaw stick to left or right you can see the camera move to smooth out footage. just turn that off and itll be more like FPV cameras, static..
2016-12-5
Use props
Heavysledz
lvl.4
Flight distance : 819491 ft
United States

yep, that's what I was going to mention as well. Here is a good video that goes thru many of these typically overlooked settings. If you only want to hear about the gimbal/Yaw settings skip ahead to about the 10 minute mark in the video:

2016-12-5
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

Andy LIS Posted at 2016-12-5 08:24
Thinking about it, the thread title may be a bit confusing.  I'm not sure it is right to call it gimbal drift.  The gimbal doesn't drift around, it is just reaaaaally slow at returning to the facing forward position, after flying the Mavic about, and yawing to line a shot up.

That is what I was going to suggest trying.
Also for filming you want to make your yaw movements very slowly.
2016-12-5
Use props
Andy LIS
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Hi guys.  I had a bit of a tinker this evening, and I've played with the "gimbal pan synchronous yaw" and I can see what that setting is doing.  It doesn't seem to affect the speed at which the gimbal returns to facing directly forward after yawing round, or flying around though.  There still seems to be a good 10-15 seconds plus (it varies) where the the arcraft is brought to a hover, and the gimbal reaaaaaally slowly continues to rotate around, until it stops and is facing forward again.

A second or two would be okay, either for filming, or lining up longer exposure stills, but 10-15 seconds is a bit annoying.

Anyone else noticed this effect?  I've got a video demonstrating it, just got to upload it to youtube (which will take forever too, as my interent connection is rrrrrrubish!)

Cheers
Andy
2016-12-5
Use props
Bent Kangaroo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 362510 ft
Australia

Isnt there a grading(slide) to control the speed of the gimbal pan synchronous yaw just below the on/off for this control?
2016-12-5
Use props
Andy LIS
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Just on and off for the Pan Synchronous gimbal control.  Having it on or off doesn't seem to affect the gimbal cathing up in the pan axis after flying the aircraft around and lining up a shot.

There is a gimbal speed slider above it, but that only seems to affect the tilt speed.
There is also a start/stop buffer, but again, that only seems to affect the tilt starting and stopping (and is really useful for getting smooth starts and stops when tilting the gimbal whilst filming!).

Andy
2016-12-6
Use props
Andy LIS
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Hi folks.  I captured the gimbal drift I@m seeing in a video.  This is footage straight off the camera, no editing, just off the memory card, and up on to Youtube.

I'd welcome your thoughts as to whether this is normal or not.  Mainly because it is making taking long exposures at night a right pain having to wait around a minute after moving the mavic in the sky, before I can take a picture when the gimbal has settled.  I've tried reloading the firmware (I'm on the latest from 12th Dec), calibrating the IMU, Compass and Gimbal, and it seems to make no difference.  Sometimes the drift lasts for a few seconds, other times it is upwards of 30-40 seconds.

Andy
2016-12-18
Use props
Jcox3
lvl.3
Flight distance : 494806 ft
United States

I had that same issue as well as an auto focus issue. I sent it in for repair and the gimbal was replaced. Should have it back this week and will be testing a lot soon after.
2016-12-18
Use props
StephenGSY
lvl.3
Flight distance : 814232 ft
Guernsey

I also get this exact same issue. Really dont want to send in for repair as it takes forever from where I'm based.
2017-6-13
Use props
David Bartenfield
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3784321 ft
  • >>>

Same issue here.  is there a fix?
2018-5-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules