Mavic drifting (yaw)
3009 14 2016-12-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
VoxUltrasonic
lvl.3
Flight distance : 328602 ft
Canada

After receiving my Fly M ore combo about a week ago, I finally caught some good weather to take the Mavic out for some flights. I noticed a couple issues:

-When ascending immediately after takeoff, I noticed that the Mavic doesn't perfectly hold it altitude for a moment. (For example, I will ascend to 5m, and it will very slowly descend on its own (sticks neutral). If I fly up and down a little bit it seems to "shake out" and starts to hold itself better. Not a huge issue, but calling it out in case it's a symptom of something worse.

-When I'm up in the air hovering, taking some time-lapse video or taking photos, I noticed that the Mavic will drift slightly, turning very slowly counter clockwise. It's slow enough that on my small iPhone 7 screen if you're not paying attention its easy to miss, but if you look closely it's quite obvious. This is a concern to be because I've heard great things about Mavic's low light performance and wanted to try out some longer exposures. Unfortunately when I did, I was having a really hard time taking anything that didn't look blurry (even after focusing)

Anyone else run into this issue?
2016-12-5
Use props
TechShizzle
lvl.2
Flight distance : 273730 ft
United States

I've have the same issue with yaw. Going forward it will rotate counter-clockwise and slowly veer to the left.
2016-12-5
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Hi VoxUltrasonic, could you please post some videos of the drifting issue?
As for the image, please upload the original images to dropbox and send me the link.
I'll help to check it.
2016-12-6
Use props
andersonn
lvl.2

United States

I've also experienced the slight drifting issue, sticks were calibrated also and same thing.
2016-12-6
Use props
VoxUltrasonic
lvl.3
Canada

DJI Mindy Posted at 2016-12-6 01:11
Hi VoxUltrasonic, could you please post some videos of the drifting issue?
As for the image, please upload the original images to dropbox and send me the link.
I'll help to check it.

Hi Mindy,
I finally was able to take advantage of some decent weather to record these clips (it's been raining and snowing a lot in my area, preventing me from flying):

It seems I almost always have a slight drifting in the yaw, which prevents me from taking clear long-exposures (1-2 seconds). Is this normal? I've read that Mavic is REALLY stable for most people, especially when taking long exposures.
2016-12-13
Use props
RoyEP3
lvl.2
Flight distance : 286017 ft
United States

I'm having the same yaw drifting issue.  Were you ever able to fix this?
2017-1-9
Use props
stratosHD
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1231280 ft
Australia

Yes yes!  I noticed the same also, specially rolling a bit to the right side clockwise. I have calibrated everything that can be calibrated and still feel that there is a small drift specially on initial take off. Now, I never take off without proper GPS signal 10+ satellites and never fly at night / low light.  So I wonder if there is something else I can do to correct the small drift.  
2017-1-9
Use props
stratosHD
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1231280 ft
Australia

VoxUltrasonic Posted at 2016-12-13 11:25
Hi Mindy,
I finally was able to take advantage of some decent weather to record these clips (it's been raining and snowing a lot in my area, preventing me from flying):

This is exactly what happens with mine. Thanks for the vids.
2017-1-9
Use props
VoxUltrasonic
lvl.3
Canada

I wasn't able to get to the bottom of it, but my Mavic had some other issues and is currently on its way to DJI for assessment for replacement.

I'm looking forward to getting one back in my hands!
2017-1-10
Use props
bantis
lvl.2

United States

I am seeing the same thing. It never happened when I first got it. Seemed after one of the updates that it started to do it.
2017-1-10
Use props
xanthos84
lvl.2
Flight distance : 253845 ft
  • >>>
Austria

same here.
please DJI - we need feedback on this!
2017-1-11
Use props
Brutus
lvl.2
Flight distance : 124304 ft
Netherlands

Mine is yawing clockwise sometimes, only just after take of. I've only noticed it when I was flying outside, never experienced it flying inside my living room.
2017-1-11
Use props
RoyEP3
lvl.2
Flight distance : 286017 ft
United States

Brutus Posted at 2017-1-11 02:45
Mine is yawing clockwise sometimes, only just after take of. I've only noticed it when I was flying outside, never experienced it flying inside my living room.

Mine are the exact same conditions.  Only occurs after take off.  Can't replicate the problem inside my house.  
2017-1-11
Use props
Shoruk3n
New
Flight distance : 414501 ft
United States

Same here.  Tried calibration of IMU, compass, and rc st
icks but still have the issue.
2017-1-11
Use props
tyler947
lvl.3
Flight distance : 3878802 ft
  • >>>
Canada

I'm still dealing with the same issue dollowing IMU calibration (cold) on a level surface, RC calibration, factory reset, compass calibrations etc. I was hoping the .800 firmware might help.
2017-6-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules