Phantom 3 Professional gimbal yaw
3375 24 2016-12-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Scott A
lvl.1
United States

I have an issue with gimbal yaw on a P3P. When you first power up the drone the gimbal runs a calibration routine. After the calibration routine it is rock steady and tracks perfectly.
After it initializes it fails to track on the yaw axis. A sharp yaw input show that the gimbal is not tracking, and after the input you can see a drift. All three axises have noticably less torque and the yaw axis fails to track.

Startup Video:

Flying Video:  If I fly hard right or left, with the camera looking straight down, the camera ends up looking 20 degrees away. Here is a video of a roof, I'm flying directly to the right (after setting up orientation). Note how the camera tracks:

This is the last log file:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0ByTbqvfLgaruZ0o1VUUwQ0YwSUk

I have attached a zip file containing the TXT log file (from the SD card, see attachment below)

Has anyone seen this issue ?
I have calibrated, in this orrder: IMU, compass, controller, gimbal. The table is level, the results are always the same.

Also, I have the latest version of the phantom, controller and Go application.

Scott

P3X_FW_LOG_AB.zip

3.28 KB, Down times: 4

text log file from SD card

2016-12-6
Use props
Hawks100
lvl.4
Flight distance : 134580 ft
United Kingdom

What are you expecting it to do???
2016-12-6
Use props
Scott A
lvl.1
United States

Hawks100 Posted at 2016-12-6 14:43
What are you expecting it to do???

It tracks the yaw axis perfectly for the first few seconds after the calibration dance. After a few seconds yaw tracking is horrible and it has drift.
2016-12-6
Use props
Hawks100
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Thats the same as mine.I Dont think its an issue.
Remember that its not a camera lock. It will have to move(drift) or your footage would be jerky.
2016-12-6
Use props
Scott A
lvl.1
United States

Hawks100 Posted at 2016-12-6 14:58
Thats the same as mine.I Dont think its an issue.
Remember that its not a camera lock. It will have to move(drift) or your footage would be jerky.

If I fly hard right or left, with the camera looking straight down, the camera ends up looking 20 degrees away. Here is a video of a roof, I'm flying directly to the right (after setting up orientation). Note how the camera tracks:
2016-12-6
Use props
Scott A
lvl.1
United States

BTW, thanks for your help !
2016-12-6
Use props
Scott A
lvl.1
United States

Has anyone else have this issue flying right/left?
2016-12-6
Use props
patou72
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3316614 ft
Switzerland

Hello Scott A,

The behaviour of your gimbal is as normal as it should be. There's no tracking mode for a subject with the P3P. Actually the gimbal tries to smooth out your abrupt mouvements like it happens in the air when you have strong windgusts without any inputs from your RC. It prevents to get shaky videos. In the startup your camera seems to track something but thats wrong since the startup proceeding is not finished at this moment...

Hope this helps

Patrick
2016-12-6
Use props
Hawks100
lvl.4
United Kingdom

your camera is in  fpv mode. should be in follow.
2016-12-6
Use props
DotheMath
New
Flight distance : 2113 ft
United States

The fact that your gimbal light is flashing red would indicate that there is a problem. If you haven't already, download the owners manual and read through the gimbal section.
2016-12-6
Use props
Hawks100
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Have you done the latest updates. Doesnt flashing red led mean update required???
2016-12-6
Use props
Scott A
lvl.1
United States

patou72 Posted at 2016-12-6 15:12
Hello Scott A,

The behaviour of your gimbal is as normal as it should be. There's no tracking mode for a subject with the P3P. Actually the gimbal tries to smooth out your abrupt mouvements like it happens in the air when you have strong windgusts without any inputs from your RC. It prevents to get shaky videos. In the startup your camera seems to track something but thats wrong since the startup proceeding is not finished at this moment...

I never noticed it before (it may have been the first time I've run left and right0, will see if I can check out a video online.
2016-12-6
Use props
Scott A
lvl.1
United States

Hawks100 Posted at 2016-12-6 15:12
your camera is in  fpv mode. should be in follow.

I'll toggle it back and forth (I've noticed that the Go app sometime has issues with single bit settings).
2016-12-6
Use props
Scott A
lvl.1
United States

DotheMath Posted at 2016-12-6 15:21
The fact that your gimbal light is flashing red would indicate that there is a problem. If you haven't already, download the owners manual and read through the gimbal section.

It goes away if I insert a memory card. I think Dji is trying to keep me from taking off for an epic shot, only to miss it (Kind of like taking off a camera lens cover
2016-12-6
Use props
Scott A
lvl.1
United States

Hawks100 Posted at 2016-12-6 15:25
Have you done the latest updates. Doesnt flashing red led mean update required???

Everything is up to date (phantom/controller and app)
2016-12-6
Use props
Scott A
lvl.1
United States

Thanks for everyone's advice today, I really appreciate it !
2016-12-6
Use props
Hawks100
lvl.4
United Kingdom

I still think your camera is in FPV mode. Look in your Camera settings. Change it to Follow. Press C2 on the underside of your remote to change.
To Check,Fire your p3 up with everything connected. Watch your camera as you move the right stick left/right. If your camera moves L/R then your in FPV mode.
2016-12-6
Use props
Scott A
lvl.1
United States

Hawks100 Posted at 2016-12-6 15:58
I still think your camera is in FPV mode. Look in your Camera settings. Change it to Follow. Press C2 on the underside of your remote to change.
To Check,Fire your p3 up with everything connected. Watch your camera as you move the right stick left/right. If your camera moves L/R then your in FPV mode.

I'ts set to Follow mode. The camera does move a slight amount (~5 degrees) when I give it full left/right input.
2016-12-6
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Scott A Posted at 2016-12-7 09:04
I'ts set to Follow mode. The camera does move a slight amount (~5 degrees) when I give it full left/right input.

That's quite normal. The camera view is yawed by rotating the aircraft, not the camera on the gimbal, it only has a small amount of movement to try and smooth out the rotation of the aircraft. And once you point the camera straight down, it cannot move very far at all, it then relies on you flying the aircraft left or right.
2016-12-6
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Scott A Posted at 2016-12-6 22:04

I can't see any 'anti drop' plastic pins fitted on your gimbal in the first video. There should be two fitted diagonally opposite each other.
2016-12-6
Use props
Hawks100
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Good spot
2016-12-6
Use props
Scott A
lvl.1
United States

Aardvark Posted at 2016-12-6 16:46
I can't see any 'anti drop' plastic pins fitted on your gimbal in the first video. There should be two fitted diagonally opposite each other.

That was a good spot Aardvark! I'll try flying it tomorrow, with the pins installed.

Thanks Hawks100, patou72, DotheMath, Geebax and Aardvark.
2016-12-6
Use props
AG0N-Gary
First Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

You don't seem to understand that the camera does not rotate independently from the drone.  This is not an Inspire.  It only changes a few degrees to smooth out your start and stop yaw motions.  The fact that it does it when you fire up only means the gimbal isn't fully booted yet.  There's nothing wrong with yours.
2016-12-7
Use props
Scott A
lvl.1
United States

I just ran a few tests today filming at a local park. The yaw drift is still an issue. Does anyone know how to report the issue to DJI ?
2017-4-6
Use props
fans9ce00a65
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1414993 ft
Israel

The gimball is not work propetly. When you turn forward, the back works well but when tilted to the right to the left, the camera rotates with the copter. On the Fpv Follow button, it does not respond. The firmware is latest .Error gimball does not show.
2017-4-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules