Mavic Pro - Max. distance from controller
81614 33 2016-12-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Timbuk2
lvl.1

Switzerland

Hi there, I fly my mavic for a week now. It's a lot of fun. I wanted to know what the max. distance is, the drone can have from the controller as we all understood (after reading some threads) that the max. distance of 7 kilometeres (yes, the metric system;-) is the amount of total covered distance during 1 flight. My Mavic refuses to go further than 2 km. But This can maybe be changed witihin the settings (if so, where?). Thanks for your answers!
2016-12-6
Use props
Enkeixpress
lvl.4
Flight distance : 297497 ft
United Kingdom

You can adjust the current set distance limit in the settings of the DJI Go or DJI Go 4 apps. But yes, 7 km or 4.3 miles is roughly the amount of distance that the Mavic Pro can reach before running low on signal connectivity and eventually losing connection to the remote. It all depends on the environment you're flying in and what's in between you and the drone itself, as well as if there's any wifi congestion in the area. For best practices, you want a complete clear line of sight to the drone during flight, and the sides of the antennas need to be pointed in the general direction of the drone at all times.
2016-12-6
Use props
nhoover
lvl.2
Flight distance : 3458045 ft
  • >>>
United States

When you say it refuses to go more than 2km do you get an error saying maximum distance exceeded? If so just look through the menus and reset that max setting. I have mine set to 8000m. I haven't done a serious distance flight yet but did fly it out 2.5 miles one time without any problem. Of course in a place without much RF interference. If you are just losing signal around 2km, make sure your antennas are parallel and the flat parts are pointed right at the Mavic. And that you have LOS of course. It will not go to 7km in an area crowded with wifi or other electronic noise - you have to be out somewhere quiet.
2016-12-7
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Agree with nhoover.
Possibly you ran into interference in that area.
And please remember to adjust the antenna while your flight.
2016-12-7
Use props
PaulHerman
lvl.1

United States

I have never been able to fly my Mavik more than 2 Km away without losing a connection with the controller, even in remote areas. Thankfully, it always returns home by itself in those situations. It may be possible to fly further with a straight line of sight or over water. But I think DJI's claims of a 7 Km range are vastly overstated.
2016-12-7
Use props
Henry M.Y.
lvl.4
Flight distance : 11548839 ft
  • >>>
Hong Kong

In HK there are outlying islands, and I frequently fly over the ocean for taking photos of them.

With my Inspire 1, I had confirmed DJI's claimed 5km max. range with solid control & video downlink signals (more than 5.05km, to be exact). It was always the battery capacity limit which triggered smart RTH and stopped me from flying further away.

With my Mavic Pro, I had not been able to verify DJI's claimed 7km max. range. I was only able to fly it to a position of 4km away from me, 8 minutes after taking off with full battery, with 75% of battery capacity remaining at the moment. I knew I had to turn it back because of anticipating headwind on its way back. Unlike my Inspire 1, my Mavic Pro struggled on its way back, down to 3m/s (~11km/h) full stick speed! It took 10 more minutes for it to fly back to me, with 30% battery remained. Both control & video downlink signals were solid though.

Beware of Mavic Pro's limitation under strong wind. DJI stated clearly in its FAQs that the max travel distance of 13km was tested in a windless condition at speed of 50km/h, which means in only a bare 15.6 minutes flight time Mavic Pro's battery will be empty! Don't ever try out the DJI's claimed 7km max. RC control & video downlink range without having planned for suitable landing place midway. The Mavic Pro just doesn't have the battery capacity to do a roundtrip (i.e. 7km x 2 =14 km) even if the control & video signals are capable at 7km away.

Just my 2 cents.

Henry
2016-12-7
Use props
1badtrain
lvl.2
United States

PaulHerman Posted at 2016-12-7 04:19
I have never been able to fly my Mavik more than 2 Km away without losing a connection with the controller, even in remote areas. Thankfully, it always returns home by itself in those situations. It may be possible to fly further with a straight line of sight or over water. But I think DJI's claims of a 7 Km range are vastly overstated.

I was able to make it around 3.7 miles (19,500 ft) out today. Very light wind, and direct line of sight in P mode with sensors turned off. I did have a few signal interruptions but was able to continue by readjusting my antenna angle. Towards the 19,500 ft, video did start to get choppy. I kept going beyond my return home battery range because I knew I could land it in an open field had I not been able to make it back. I ended up making back with just under 4 minutes of battery time left. I'll try again tomorrow if I get a chance and record the flight as well as getting a screen record. %5BIMG%5D%5B/IMG%5D
2016-12-7
Use props
Timbuk2
lvl.1

Switzerland

Thanks guys!
@ nhoover. Where exactly in the settings can this be done? Can I set it offline or must aircraft & controller be switched on for this?
Thank you
2016-12-7
Use props
appleguru
lvl.1

United States

1badtrain Posted at 2016-12-7 12:37
I was able to make it around 3.7 miles (19,500 ft) out today. Very light wind, and direct line of sight in P mode with sensors turned off. I did have a few signal interruptions but was able to continue by readjusting my antenna angle. Towards the 19,500 ft, video did start to get choppy. I kept going beyond my return home battery range because I knew I could land it in an open field had I not been able to make it back. I ended up making back with just under 4 minutes of battery time left. I'll try again tomorrow if I get a chance and record the flight as well as getting a screen record. %5BIMG%5D[view_image]%5B/IMG%5D

Thanks for the info. I just bought one and can't wait to get it and fly it. I had a parrot drone and it was worthless for 300 bucks. It got out of range in 50 ft. I hope I can get the distance your talking about. 4 miles seems like a long ways for wifi, but I guess it can be done.. Thanks
Ralph
2016-12-13
Use props
fans960b109d
lvl.3
Flight distance : 791736 ft
New Zealand

PaulHerman Posted at 2016-12-8 01:19

I have a screenshot ofine at 4km mark and just lost signal....got a few at 3km mark as well...4km was over a long lake and the others over a barren mountain we got hia ;-)
2016-12-13
Use props
Rhidz
lvl.2
Flight distance : 559616 ft
United Kingdom

nhoover Posted at 2016-12-7 00:24
When you say it refuses to go more than 2km do you get an error saying maximum distance exceeded? If so just look through the menus and reset that max setting. I have mine set to 8000m. I haven't done a serious distance flight yet but did fly it out 2.5 miles one time without any problem. Of course in a place without much RF interference. If you are just losing signal around 2km, make sure your antennas are parallel and the flat parts are pointed right at the Mavic. And that you have LOS of course. It will not go to 7km in an area crowded with wifi or other electronic noise - you have to be out somewhere quiet.

I know this is months later, but saves me starting a new post.
I received my drone today, first time flyer and took off from with it from my back garden and started to lose signal at about 2km on 3 different flights. I live in a town on the coast, which has open wifi(free across the town). I figured this was proboably causing some interference at 2km.
Either way going to take it somewhere out of the way of any potential wifi/interference.

2017-4-11
Use props
digitalintruder
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3652379 ft
United States

Rhidz Posted at 2017-4-11 13:12
I know this is months later, but saves me starting a new post.
I received my drone today, first time flyer and took off from with it from my back garden and started to lose signal at about 2km on 3 different flights. I live in a town on the coast, which has open wifi(free across the town). I figured this was proboably causing some interference at 2km.
Either way going to take it somewhere out of the way of any potential wifi/interference.

I sometimes fly in a remote-ish area. I can get about 4.8km (or 3 freedom unit miles) away with a decent connection. I haven't dared fly it farther. I don't know that I'd ever want to fly it 7km away.
2017-4-11
Use props
Rhidz
lvl.2
United Kingdom

digitalintruder Posted at 2017-4-11 14:07
I sometimes fly in a remote-ish area. I can get about 4.8km (or 3 freedom unit miles) away with a decent connection. I haven't dared fly it farther. I don't know that I'd ever want to fly it 7km away.

I haven't pushed it too much after the signal gets low, I haven't fully lost signal, it gets the red low signal warning and I just turn around and come back.
How are you managing to get 9.6km off a battery? I assume you're returning home?

2017-4-11
Use props
digitalintruder
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3652379 ft
United States

Rhidz Posted at 2017-4-11 14:27
I haven't pushed it too much after the signal gets low, I haven't fully lost signal, it gets the red low signal warning and I just turn around and come back.
How are you managing to get 9.6km off a battery? I assume you're returning home?

Outside of scaring myself and thinking that I will never see the mavic again?

This isn't the flight I was looking for - Healthy Drones archived it - since I'm a free member, but it's close (4.2km). I think in this one, I put sport mode on and hauled down to the end of the field and then came back normally.

http://app.airdata.com/main?share=CjyDFS&page_id=GENERAL
2017-4-11
Use props
Rhidz
lvl.2
United Kingdom

digitalintruder Posted at 2017-4-11 15:34
Outside of scaring myself and thinking that I will never see the mavic again?

This isn't the flight I was looking for - Healthy Drones archived it - since I'm a free member, but it's close (4.2km). I think in this one, I put sport mode on and hauled down to the end of the field and then came back normally.

Sweet, thanks for that, I'm definitely in a more dense remote-area from comparing to your surroundings, definitely going to take it somewhere similar to that tomorrow

(Day 1 drone owner/UAV pilot here)

2017-4-11
Use props
fanseb9f06cd
New
Flight distance : 390 ft
United States

nhoover Posted at 2016-12-7 00:24

Hello. I was flying my mavic and then it stopped at about 1500 feet out and said to adjust my mc settings.  Then i was reading on forum and it suggested to set to 8000. Where are these settings and what do does anyone thin?
2017-4-24
Use props
SkunkWerxs
lvl.4
Flight distance : 231217 ft
United States

fanseb9f06cd Posted at 2017-4-24 04:51
Hello. I was flying my mavic and then it stopped at about 1500 feet out and said to adjust my mc settings.  Then i was reading on forum and it suggested to set to 8000. Where are these settings and what do does anyone thin?

Fan's , I believe the settings your looking for are on the first page of the Go4 app click on the little drone icon in the setting's screen the same page you set you home point RTH altitude.
      I've had my Mavic distance 3 miles out from me and with no problems to RC and video signals --- I'm in a remote mountain area and this was done with staying under the 400ft AGL limit if I were able get more altitude I could have went further --- If your going to do something like this just make sure your Mavic and RC batteries are fully charged and all your settings are confirmed and set properly
2017-4-24
Use props
Firefox0
New
United Kingdom

Enkeixpress Posted at 2016-12-6 23:27
You can adjust the current set distance limit in the settings of the DJI Go or DJI Go 4 apps. But yes, 7 km or 4.3 miles is roughly the amount of distance that the Mavic Pro can reach before running low on signal connectivity and eventually losing connection to the remote. It all depends on the environment you're flying in and what's in between you and the drone itself, as well as if there's any wifi congestion in the area. For best practices, you want a complete clear line of sight to the drone during flight, and the sides of the antennas need to be pointed in the general direction of the drone at all times.

Having the same problem. Changing the max distance or turning it off makes no difference. Still limited to 168ft. Before the last update I was able to fly as far as I wanted. Tried downgrading firmware on mavie and controller /no difference.
SOS ready to destroy it.
Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
2017-7-14
Use props
Griffith
lvl.4
Flight distance : 98537 ft
United States

PaulHerman Posted at 2016-12-7 04:19

The 7 Km range is stated as maximum range ... i.e the best you'll get under ideal conditions.  If you can see it that far away, you must have bionic eyes.
2017-7-14
Use props
Griffith
lvl.4
United States

Firefox0 Posted at 2017-7-14 09:15
Having the same problem. Changing the max distance or turning it off makes no difference. Still limited to 168ft. Before the last update I was able to fly as far as I wanted. Tried downgrading firmware on mavie and controller /no difference.
SOS ready to destroy it.
Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

What message(s) do  you get. There are a number of factors that limit range.
2017-7-14
Use props
Landbo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 502792 ft
Denmark

Strange, in Switzerland, which lies within the EU's territory, the output power is reduced so the theoretical reach is "only" 4 km. The distance is calculated based on free view to your Mavic. Any obstacle between the controller and your Mavic reduces the range considerably.   

Regards Leif.
2017-7-14
Use props
Firefox0
New
United Kingdom

Griffith Posted at 2017-7-14 10:57
What message(s) do  you get. There are a number of factors that limit range.

Message: You have reached your maximum distance. Reset on your controller.
Which does not make any difference.
2017-7-14
Use props
Griffith
lvl.4
United States

Firefox0 Posted at 2017-7-14 15:03
Message: You have reached your maximum distance. Reset on your controller.
Which does not make any difference.

Maximum distance is a setting in the GO app.  Other settings that may influence that message is the Beginner Mode setting (which is much shorter - I'm thinking around 30 meters).  Those are the only two I can think of that would yield  that message.

The only other I can think of is due to failure to register the newer firmware update involving GEO Fencing, which will also limit your maximum distance. After re-reading your post, I think this may be your issue.

2017-7-17
Use props
djiuser_7zcCJE7
lvl.2
United States

Griffith Posted at 2017-7-14 10:53
The 7 Km range is stated as maximum range ... i.e the best you'll get under ideal conditions.  If you can see it that far away, you must have bionic eyes.

If you fly at night and use STROBON lights you can see that far out.
2017-7-17
Use props
Daniel Soh
New
Flight distance : 186243 ft
Singapore

Had the same problem, I am residing in Asia but have a UK model. Range is limited to 4km, no signal at 4.1km, had a friend with a US model that flew to 5km with 3 bars left on the signal strength. We did several runs, similar route and 4km for me and 5km for him. DJI support told me to reset the controller to regain that extra 3km back. Despite following the instruction to the letter. Controller couldn't be reset. Was told that range was region locked by several users here, but apparently it seems like it is hot-wired into the controller. Help appreciated.
2017-7-18
Use props
djiuser_ZRYtNSa
lvl.3

Indonesia

Mine get 8km and last flight i fly around me about 900m,total flight 16.9km with stock battery

https://youtu.be/PFI5VtjoHBo
2017-11-24
Use props
SysSU
New
United States

Apparently the Mavic also has limits based on what the transmit power is set to per the spec page (See below), from what I can tell this can not be changed by the consumer. Also there is a setting in the device menu where you can set max distance, so check that as well. Lastly keep in mind that these are best case scenarios, and rather than do what most are doing to test the distance follow the steps below to be more safe (With that said you are supposed to be able to see your drone at all times by FAA laws, some places say 500m max distance).

Safe Distance Check Steps:
1. Hover the device at max/safe height (400ft for FAA) right above the home position.
2. Get in your car/bike and drive until max distance is reached/signal/battery is lost.
3. If connection is lost or battery gets too low theoretically the device should just land back at the home position.

Specs:
FCC Compliant: 4.3 mi (7 km);
CE Compliant: 2.5 mi (4 km)
SRRC Compliant: 2.5mi (4 km)
MIC Compliant: 2.5 mi (4 km) (Unobstructed, free of interference)
2017-12-20
Use props
famorim
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1595574 ft
Brazil

I got 5km without any signal issue  in the last test outside city, far from wifi networks.

http://app.airdata.com/main?share=OSYljv
2017-12-21
Use props
nhoover
lvl.2
Flight distance : 3458045 ft
  • >>>
United States

I finally went out and tried a distance flight in a quiet area. I had 4 bars and 0 signal errors at over 22,000' (nearly 7km) and it worked perfectly. I was at about 350' up but I think it would've worked lower too. This is with no mods or anything. It's really amazing! With extra batteries and enhanced antennas people are going 10 miles and more - also amazing but I have no interest in doing that.
2018-1-15
Use props
4matic
lvl.1
United Arab Emirates

I have max distance set as 1500meters. Recently was out driving with it when it stopped following my car and didnt move forward. I walked upto it with the controller would go sideways but not forward. Controller said Max distance reached.
So is this Max flight distance from start point? I have the home point set as where I started. I need to to change that to controller anyway.
2018-4-9
Use props
Dalucci
New
Flight distance : 481430 ft

United States

I have gone a max distance of 5848.6 meters at a height of 496.2 meters (per the flight records).  I could maybe push it to 6km, but i barely made it back as it was ( maybe next time I will plan a landing spot in the distance, problem is you need to stay super high to go that far or you will have interference and landing is difficult)
2018-5-18
Use props
Bill Wonser
lvl.1

United States

If anyone knows I'd like to know if there is max distance limit when using only the remote/no app with the DJI MAVIC PRO ?
2020-4-14
Use props
djiuser_RV8CuFEiqu2o
New

Canada

HELLO, I CANNOT FLY MY DRONE FURTHER THAN 475 METERS. I ALSO CANNOT CHANGE THE MAX DISTANCE. I CAN SIMPLY TURN IT ON OR OFF. ALSO CANNOT CHANGE MAX ALTITUDE. ANYONE CAN HELP?
2020-7-22
Use props
djiuser_kHgMoHualIDp
New

Palestine

Who use  dji mavic pro?May you tell me about its features,please?
2022-3-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules