Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Return to home when strong magnetic interference is detected?
2461 10 2016-12-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Stealthmatt
lvl.4

Australia

Did anyone see this in the latest firmware?

"Improved magnetic detection for the remote controller. The aircraft will now return to home when strong magnetic interference is detected."

What does this mean by "detection for the remote controller".

I don't like how it automatically returns home when it detects magnetic interference, I could be flying under a bridge or a tree and what its going to climb to the return home height and crash?

The other thing is, if it has interference - how will this impact going home (if the compass has interference), will it go north instead of south and end up the opposite direction to the home point?

Really need more clarity on this...
2016-12-6
Use props
Str8nUpNFlyRigh
lvl.1
Flight distance : 222867 ft
Germany

I assume this is interference with the controller, not with the drone.
Interference with the controller could (again this is my assumption) lead to phantom stick movements, which in turn might crash your mavic.
2016-12-6
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Remote control will detect the interference.
If the interference is too strong to control the aircraft, the aircraft will return home.
2016-12-7
Use props
Tharg (from the
First Officer
Flight distance : 120784 ft
United Kingdom

Its because DJI have elected to go with HALL effect sensors on the Mavic remote but have not implemented the design very well so the stick gimbals are prone to magnetic interference which translates into stick movements being interpreted which haven't actually occurred.

Had DJI done a decent job on magnetic shielding of the gimbal HALL Effect sensors then they wouldn't have this issue. Strangely, other manufactures like Jeti who use high resolution HALL gimbals do not suffer with this defect.

I'm sure it will be sorted with a hardware change on the Mavic revision B which will appear early in the new year, in the meantime, all DJI can do is fudge some firmware to throw the thing into RTH
2016-12-7
Use props
ctopysf
lvl.3

United States

Tharg (from the Posted at 2016-12-7 03:26
Its because DJI have elected to go with HALL effect sensors on the Mavic remote but have not implemented the design very well so the stick gimbals are prone to magnetic interference which translates into stick movements being interpreted which haven't actually occurred.

Had DJI done a decent job on magnetic shielding of the gimbal HALL Effect sensors then they wouldn't have this issue. Strangely, other manufactures like Jeti who use high resolution HALL gimbals do not suffer with this defect.

Oh damn I didn't realize they were using hall sensors. That might explain some of those control loss issues.
2016-12-7
Use props
QuanthonyTrang
First Officer
Flight distance : 419980 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Maybe remove your Apple watch before flight..
2016-12-7
Use props
Tharg (from the
First Officer
Flight distance : 120784 ft
United Kingdom

ctopysf Posted at 2016-12-7 18:26
Oh damn I didn't realize they were using hall sensors. That might explain some of those control loss issues.

Absolutely, they had a go at it but they're not very good at it!

Well designed and high resolution Hall Effect gimbals are fine but it appears the ones in the Mavic TX are cheap and nasty.

Standby for Mavic (B) or at least a 'B' version of the controller
2016-12-7
Use props
boostedford
Second Officer
Flight distance : 144478 ft
United States

Mavic revision b? A new mavic already??
2016-12-10
Use props
ScottJD
lvl.1
Flight distance : 44055 ft
United States

I'm voting for a recall of the controller. They need to fix this and swap the controllers with the ones that don't have good shielding.
I wear my Apple Watch to monitor a heart condition, their is no reason I should have to remove my watch and risk my health to fly this.
Also every other DJI drone  can use an iPad, but iPads also have much stronger magnets in them then my Apple Watch. All these new tablet mounts being bade for the crontollef and it's just a matter of time before they start crashing because of the magnets in the iPad also. DJI will say it was designed for a phone only, but then why make the app compatible for both.
Then their is a magnetic money clip part of my wallet I keep in my front pocket. It's shielded so my credit cards are not affected but my $1K Mavic will crash or RTH when under a tree or something else if I rest the controller down near my waist. My insulin pump, credit cards and anything else I have are not affected by these magnets and their is no reason the controller wasn't properly shielded.
They need to restart masking new ones with proper shielding and replace the ones they sold already.
2017-2-25
Use props
The Rev
Captain
Flight distance : 1256837 ft
United Kingdom

ScottJD Posted at 2017-2-25 03:37
I'm voting for a recall of the controller. They need to fix this and swap the controllers with the ones that don't have good shielding.
I wear my Apple Watch to monitor a heart condition, their is no reason I should have to remove my watch and risk my health to fly this.
Also every other DJI drone  can use an iPad, but iPads also have much stronger magnets in them then my Apple Watch. All these new tablet mounts being bade for the crontollef and it's just a matter of time before they start crashing because of the magnets in the iPad also. DJI will say it was designed for a phone only, but then why make the app compatible for both.

I wear an Iwatch all the time and have never had any interference warning except when sitting in the car
2017-2-25
Use props
ScottJD
lvl.1
Flight distance : 44055 ft
United States

Finally got,it flying ok again with the latest firmware.  Tested the watch around the controller, even the iPad mini magnets and no joystick movements or interfearamce messages.
Now if you grab the mavic by the nose (I don't know why you would do this) then it will show a magnetic interfeance error. But if you move it to the take off spot holding in the middle by the battery then the watch doesn't mess with the front or back compass sensors.
Seems they changed some things in the latest firmware.
2017-3-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules