Takeoff and Landing From the deck of a Cruise Ship?
5174 17 2016-12-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
CADDJockey
lvl.3
Flight distance : 163934 ft
United States

Has anybody flown and landed their drone from the deck of a cruise ship, stationary or moving?  I've seen a few videos of people flying around a cruise ship, but it got me wondering if takeoff or landing was possible this way.

Do cruise liners have any problems with this sort of thing?
2016-12-7
Use props
Bent Kangaroo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 362510 ft
Australia

Probably would not want to set the home point at the GPS location when taking off, if obviously the platform will have moved on. Setting the RC as HP would work for a catch landing providing your not going too fast and choppy with ocean movement.
Hehe sounds like fun, make sure to show us the surviving footage from the phone hehe
2016-12-7
Use props
CADDJockey
lvl.3
United States

Bent Kangaroo Posted at 2016-12-7 05:29
Probably would not want to set the home point at the GPS location when taking off, if obviously the platform will have moved on. Setting the RC as HP would work for a catch landing providing your not going too fast and choppy with ocean movement.
Hehe sounds like fun, make sure to show us the surviving footage from the phone hehe

Yep!  I thought about setting the RC as the HP also.
2016-12-7
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Hungary

CADDJockey Posted at 2016-12-7 11:37
Yep!  I thought about setting the RC as the HP also.

I know one guy who had his drone taken off him when boarding the ship, they are very strict about it.
2016-12-7
Use props
CEEJAY
lvl.2
Flight distance : 316129 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Went on a cruise to The Canary Isles a few weeks ago with a well know Norwegian cruise line (the pink rinse brigade, if you know what I mean !).
Got to Southampton departure terminal, and the Port Security seized my Phantom 4 in it's case and said "We will have to see if the on board ships security will allow it on board"
I showed him the Phantom in it's case, with each battery safely stored in a fireproof bag.
As usual, the Wife went nuts!, "I told you not to bring that thing", (blah, blah, blah !)
At 5.30pm (ship sailing time) I go to SEACO (ships security) at the Gangplank, and was told my drone was being held at the Ships Reception Desk.
Great !, I thought we are on our way !!.
2 days later, while we are at sea on our way to Funchal.
I get a letter attached to my cabin door addressed from the Guest Relations Manager on board.
I straight away went to his office, introduced myself ,shook his hand, and was amazed that he had over the past 2 days, had contacted ALL the relevant countries/islands we were going to visit over the next 2 weeks of our cruise!!!.
ALL the written responses he had from each of the countries had refused to allow permission for me to fly my drone ANYWHERE !!.
Reading each of the email responses he showed me (I have copies) I pointed out that I was not a Commercial Photographer, and that all the responses he had were worded such that they ASSUMED that I was going to use the drone for commercial use.
"Not relevant in my case" I told him !, the letters that he had showed me looked as if they thought I was intending to fly over populated areas of each country/island !!.
I pointed out that I was going to use the drone for my own personal use, nothing more simpler.

Rather than "rattle his cage" I agreed that my drone would stay in my cabin and would not be taken ashore at any of our ports of call (which, hand on heart, I did).
He did say to me that he "Cannot not stop me from taking it ashore" but would not be responsible for anything that could happen ashore, and should I have a problem, the cruise line would not want to know!.
Why did this "jobs worth" stick his trunk into my business, (probably thinking he was doing some good !!!)
It would have been nice for him to ask me first what my intentions were in using the drone,
before going off and asking the authorities.
Beside,I had my insurance policy with me, printouts of ALL the no-fly zones of each island, etc, etc, etc
So, be warned cruisers of the world !!
I later found out that certain cruise lines do not even allow drones on board ship, WHY NOT !!.
If anyone has had previous experience of this type of problem on board a cruise, PIPE UP !"!!
I would love to hear your thoughts on the matter !!
P.S. I should add that this cruise line actively has used drones in the past to "promote" itself
and it's Company, AND, have actually allowed a Inspire pilot to take off from the deck of its flag ship, while moving at sea !!.
HOW MANY OF THE PASSENGERS DID YOU ALERT THAT THIS EXCERCISE WAS GOING AHEAD, I WONDER !!!

2016-12-7
Use props
Cwood
lvl.2
Flight distance : 97638 ft
Canada

CEEJAY Posted at 2016-12-7 07:09
Went on a cruise to The Canary Isles a few weeks ago with a well know Norwegian cruise line (the pink rinse brigade, if you know what I mean !).
Got to Southampton departure terminal, and the Port Security seized my Phantom 4 in it's case and said "We will have to see if the on board ships security will allow it on board"
I showed him the Phantom in it's case, with each battery safely stored in a fireproof bag.

this one will make you think twice

2016-12-7
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Hungary

Cwood Posted at 2016-12-7 13:25
this one will make you think twice

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxNv2F3JdqA

Think he lied about the price, $3000
2016-12-7
Use props
CADDJockey
lvl.3
United States

CEEJAY Posted at 2016-12-7 07:09

WOW! That's good to know.  Thanks for sharing your experience.  That must have been really stressful when they took your drone, and so disappointing having to keep it in your cabin the entire trip.
2016-12-7
Use props
look_alive
lvl.1

United States

That cruise ship video gave me white knuckles! Whew!!!
2016-12-7
Use props
sarge43
lvl.2
United States

I am leaving on a cruise this coming Monday on Carnival Cruise lines leaving from Jacksonville, FL so I checked on their rules for drones after hearing horror stories about confiscations etc.  Carnival cruise lines have "drone cameras" specifically listed in their exceptions rules which say that drones can be brought on board, and may be kept in the stateroom, but may NOT be flown while on the ship, or when the ship is moving.  They can be taken off and brought on at will as long as they are not operated on the ship.  I plan on getting some great footage in the Bahamas next week while at the various ports of call!  Now, understand this is CARNIVAL'S set of rules - other lines ban them altogether, so if you're planning on a cruise, check that lines rules prior to leaving.
Happy cruisng!
Sarge
2016-12-7
Use props
CADDJockey
lvl.3
United States

sarge43 Posted at 2016-12-7 18:58
I am leaving on a cruise this coming Monday on Carnival Cruise lines leaving from Jacksonville, FL so I checked on their rules for drones after hearing horror stories about confiscations etc.  Carnival cruise lines have "drone cameras" specifically listed in their exceptions rules which say that drones can be brought on board, and may be kept in the stateroom, but may NOT be flown while on the ship, or when the ship is moving.  They can be taken off and brought on at will as long as they are not operated on the ship.  I plan on getting some great footage in the Bahamas next week while at the various ports of call!  Now, understand this is CARNIVAL'S set of rules - other lines ban them altogether, so if you're planning on a cruise, check that lines rules prior to leaving.
Happy cruisng!
Sarge

Thanks, Sarge.  Checking the cruise liner sounds like a good idea.  Is there a link to the Carnival policy that you can post?
2016-12-7
Use props
Free Bird
lvl.3

Canada

Phantom Overboard!!!!

If your ever in that predicament always trail the boat, never go to the sides the wind is strongest there and even worse in the front. The ship actually has a back draft when you get close enough behind it. Stay low, closer to the water so your chances of keeping out of the wind will improve greatly. This guy made every mistake he could make trying to get back, even when trailing behind the ship most of the time he was to high to take advantage of the wind blockage of the vessel.
I know I travel all the time back and forth on car ferries. (I live on Vancouver Island) Large car ferries have the same wind dynamics as any cruise ship.
2016-12-7
Use props
sarge43
lvl.2
United States

CADDJockey Posted at 2016-12-8 00:32
Thanks, Sarge.  Checking the cruise liner sounds like a good idea.  Is there a link to the Carnival policy that you can post?

Sure.  Here you go:
https://help.carnival.com/app/an ... BQncwZGclMjElMjE%3D
Once again, different cruise lines have different rules, so check on YOUR cruise line for details.
Also, I was doing extra checking around last night and found out about VAT and Duty taxes in the Bahamas.  Basically, this law says they (the Bahamian Government) can tax your drone up to any percentage they feel like charging, which can get expensive quick.  The Mavic is perfect because it's quick set up and take down.  Private islands (such as many cruise lines have) are exempt from this tax for items brought by cruisers, so no big deal on those.  For example, flying a drone in Nassau can possibly get you taxed IF the right people see you do it and bother to track you down (doubtful at best), but on Half moon Cay (privately owned cruise line island) it's no problem at all.  Just extra info for people to check out who may be cruising soon.
Sarge out.
2016-12-8
Use props
djiuser_e7109gmp6CuT
New

Hmm.... I plan to take a mavic drone on a cruise ship to Norway. I mean like Iceland and many other places, its ideal drone territory. I can see where they are coming from regards enquiring with ports of call. They don't want you getting arrested and causing delays for which they can be heavily fined. My current view is worst case scenario they'll just confiscate it for the cruise so I'm inclined to take it.
2018-4-21
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

Sailed with Windjammer Barefoot cruises many moons ago.  At time they wouldn't have cared if you flew a drone from ship.  Completely laid back sailing.  
Worst would have happened was guests and crew would have set up a Deadpool for the drone.  

2018-4-21
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

Cwood Posted at 2016-12-7 04:25
this one will make you think twice

Head wind.  Fast moving ferry.
You got very lucky.  

2018-4-21
Use props
4WDaus
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1187257 ft
Australia

Cwood Posted at 2016-12-7 04:25
this one will make you think twice

So funny, loved the commentary!
2018-4-21
Use props
Byron682
lvl.1
Flight distance : 390804 ft
New Zealand

Tried this the other day was very stressful wouldnt reccommend unless you have practiced catching your drone lol - the ship was moving and the boat goes up and down so when trying to land it thinks its flying because of the height difference.
2023-11-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules