Has anyone taken the FAA Part 107 Test for business purposes...?
1257 11 2016-12-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
JMcDonald84
lvl.1

United States

Im getting into the Drone Photography business and wanted to do it right. I want people to feel comfortable when they hire me having a license. So I am going to take the test to get my license. My question is....On the FAA website it says test prep material and list the Pilot Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge...That's a pretty big book to read.....500+ pages.

Is this something I need to really read into before I go and take the test....?
2016-12-7
Use props
QiiFlight
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2999472 ft
  • >>>
United States

I took the test back in September. At a minimum, you should be familiar with:
Part 107
Aeronautical Charts - everything about them
Airspace (A, B, C ,D, E, G)
Weather
Requirements for inspections.
Center of Gravity - how loading affects your aircraft
Review the airman's handbook
Be familiar with the FAA small UAS website

The actual study guide can be found here --> https://www.faa.gov/regulations_ ... lot_study_guide.pdf

I studied the study guide and the references in the back of the study guide for 2 solid weeks. Don't leave out a review of the references!

2016-12-7
Use props
JMcDonald84
lvl.1

United States

Thanks for the info!!
2016-12-7
Use props
SpecialProjects
lvl.3
Flight distance : 441010 ft
United States

There are some great videos on Youtube on the Cyndy Hollman channel and some other channels also.
     I passed my Part 107 test and have flown numerous UAS operations. The FAA Waiver program is a pain in the you know what. Hooefully they will streamline this. 90 days in advance fir waiver us bit very workabkle in the real world!
2016-12-7
Use props
QiiFlight
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2999472 ft
  • >>>
United States

You are welcome and good luck!
2016-12-8
Use props
marctronixx
lvl.4
Flight distance : 210118 ft
  • >>>
United States

Thanks for this. Bookmarking.
2016-12-13
Use props
JMcDonald84
lvl.1

United States

I registered my new P4P+ drone last night through the federal drone registry, chose the business part 107 option...was like 199, and I guess they send me info on the 107 test...prep material and what not.
2016-12-19
Use props
jdh
New

United States

Can you tell me where that page is you used to get your 107 going? Do people seem to be able to run their shoots within standard 107 allowances?  thanks
I was going to go for 333 but I see this is the new method.  I have FAA testing centers in my town.  Hoping the process is not too bad, still trying to find where the process is laid out.
2017-1-2
Use props
2N Media
lvl.1
Flight distance : 2077080 ft
United States

I just recently passed my 107 test as I have been using my P3 for my own filming projects and have been doing land based video work for a little while now.
I highly recommend the online course that I took which targeted all the pertinent aspects of the test but also covered much more than just that.
Passed mine on the first try with a solid B.

The website is "Remote Pilot 101" and they are an actual flight school based in Fla that has developed the online UAS course.
2017-1-2
Use props
potthoff
lvl.1
Flight distance : 982579 ft
United States

jdh,

There isn't much of a use anymore to get a 333 for sUAS. Getting the 333 was previously the only way to fly sUAS commercially. If you still wanted to get a sUAS, you would have to get a private piolet license (Expensive but you get to fly planes) and probably a lawyer to help fill out your application. Honestly, I think the commercial community would give a lot more respect to the manned airplanes if they still required a private license.

For s107, all you need is to pass that generally knowledge test and a background check. It's a pretty straight forward test but you need to know the material. I recommend taking that practice test from the FAA. I also really like an app on the android play store called "Prepware Remote Pilot". It's $5 but about %50 of the questions on the Knowlege test were from that app. It's a lot cheaper than retaking the test. Definitely, go over the topics that QiiFlight said.

Lastly, just from my experience in the commercial field. You will get much more business on drone for hire jobs if you decide to go with 333, or get an s107 using privates license. For many jobs, You will also be required to get $1 million sUAS insurance. It gets pretty pricey unfortunately.

Good Luck,
Josh
2017-1-2
Use props
jdh
New

United States

thank you for the info, and the link shown at top of this string is the study guide you used?
2017-1-3
Use props
potthoff
lvl.1
Flight distance : 982579 ft
United States

jdh Posted at 2017-1-3 11:49
thank you for the info, and the link shown at top of this string is the study guide you used?

Yup. I spent a day reading over the material and then moved on to the questions on app. I would then study up on a question that I didn't know and moved on. I took the app test quite a few times and also reviewed the sample questions found here. The FAA also has a lot of information that can be found here.
2017-1-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules