Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
P4 and Google Pixel XL problems
2664 11 2016-12-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fansdbce68d7
lvl.2
Flight distance : 349793 ft
United States
Offline

Both the original DJI GO and the new GO 4 app are hugely problematic on my new Google Pixel XL phone. I had the original DJI Go app on my previous galaxy S5 phone and eveything worked flawlessly. I then migrated everything to my new Pixel phone, and the DJI Go app has horrible intermittent video connection, and crashes every couple minutes. I downloaded the new DJI Go 4 app thinking it might help but it won't event start! Just given me a "failed to start" crash error report.

Basically my P4 is un-useable with my Pixel. I really hope someone at DJI is aware of and working on the problem. Any thoughts or suggestions are appreciated!
2016-12-7
Use props
fansdbce68d7
lvl.2
Flight distance : 349793 ft
United States
Offline

I just chatted with DJI support. They were quite evasive but basically, I have received confirmation that "there is no official plan to support Google Pixel". Wow. You'd think DJI would be willing to commit to support of Google's flagship phone.
2016-12-7
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia
Offline

fansdbce68d7 Posted at 2016-12-8 12:00
I just chatted with DJI support. They were quite evasive but basically, I have received confirmation that "there is no official plan to support Google Pixel". Wow. You'd think DJI would be willing to commit to support of Google's flagship phone.

It is not an issue for DJI. They simply write code that is supposed to run on Android, so if the Google implementation is not compatible, then there is not much DJI can do about it. And that is where the problem lies, with iOS devices, as long as they have sufficient processor power, you only have to write one set of code and it works on all iOS devices. But with Android, every device has its different flavours, and some just don't run properly.
I suspect this is why DJI are moving towards their own display devices, over which they have full control.
2016-12-7
Use props
fansdbce68d7
lvl.2
Flight distance : 349793 ft
United States
Offline

Geebax Posted at 2016-12-7 17:07
It is not an issue for DJI. They simply write code that is supposed to run on Android, so if the Google implementation is not compatible, then there is not much DJI can do about it. And that is where the problem lies, with iOS devices, as long as they have sufficient processor power, you only have to write one set of code and it works on all iOS devices. But with Android, every device has its different flavours, and some just don't run properly.
I suspect this is why DJI are moving towards their own display devices, over which they have full control.

That is a silly interpretation. DJI bent over backwards to make sure their software worked on Iphone 7 the day it was released. Even if the pixel is another "flavor" it is likely to be the most popular flavor. And is almost certainly easier to fix than writing for a whole different platform like IOS. They won't even answer if they will try to support google pixel, arguably the main competitor to the Iphone 7. DJI absolutely could support google pixel, they just don't seem to care. You'd think having strong support of ALL major brands would be high on their list of priorities. Apple is ~10% of smart phones now sold, why wouldn't DJI try to support the other 90%? Seems like a strategy that could really hurt them...
2016-12-7
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia
Offline

fansdbce68d7 Posted at 2016-12-8 13:17
That is a silly interpretation. DJI bent over backwards to make sure their software worked on Iphone 7 the day it was released. Even if the pixel is another "flavor" it is likely to be the most popular flavor. And is almost certainly easier to fix than writing for a whole different platform like IOS. They won't even answer if they will try to support google pixel, arguably the main competitor to the Iphone 7. DJI absolutely could support google pixel, they just don't seem to care. You'd think having strong support of ALL major brands would be high on their list of priorities. Apple is ~10% of smart phones now sold, why wouldn't DJI try to support the other 90%? Seems like a strategy that could really hurt them...

You obviously don't know anything about writing software. It is not written for a specific phone, it is either compiled for Apple devices or Android devices. If the Pixel does not work then talk to Google and ask them why their phone does not work properly under Android. A similar thing happened recently with Samsung, and it was only solved by Samsung getting their act together and fixzing their software.

It seems everything that goes wrong is blamed on DJI, why can it not be a Google problem?
2016-12-7
Use props
ah42
lvl.1
Flight distance : 68353 ft
United States
Offline

I think this problem is not just with the Pixel phones, but the latest version of Android, 7.0 Nougat. I have a Moto Z Droid, which just got updated to Nougat recently. I'm having the exact same problems you're describing. My guess is that they were developing for Marshmallow 6.0. I guess it makes sense for them to do that since only 0.4% of android phones are running Nougat, but it's still very frustrating regardless.
2016-12-8
Use props
Airobotix
Second Officer
Flight distance : 357310 ft
United Kingdom
Offline

Always helps to read the compatibility list that DJI publish......just saying.
2016-12-8
Use props
ZT
lvl.2
Flight distance : 11316 ft
Canada
Offline

I bought a google pixel XL specifically for the Mavic, thinking any android device would work. I really hope this gets resolved and DJI decides to support the Pixel phone.
2016-12-22
Use props
BouldersDad
lvl.4
Flight distance : 872448 ft
United States
Offline

ah42 Posted at 2016-12-8 10:35
I think this problem is not just with the Pixel phones, but the latest version of Android, 7.0 Nougat. I have a Moto Z Droid, which just got updated to Nougat recently. I'm having the exact same problems you're describing. My guess is that they were developing for Marshmallow 6.0. I guess it makes sense for them to do that since only 0.4% of android phones are running Nougat, but it's still very frustrating regardless.

I would agree wholeheartedly.
When I first upgraded my Galaxy S5 to Marshmallow, I had all kinds of problems.
Now those issues have been resolved.
I just got a Pixel about a month ago, but for the price of the Pixel XL, I was able to get the Pixel and an iPad Mini2, which is what I now use to fly most of the time.
So far, the Pixel has been ok when using Litchi to fly fpv.
That doesn't really help you much, fansdbce68d7, but the problem will go away at some point, I'm sure.
2016-12-24
Use props
rleigh
lvl.1
Flight distance : 221726 ft
United States
Offline

I know that this post is getting dated. But I have the Pixel XL and have found that in order for me to be able to use DJIgo app, I have to put it into airplane mode and then turn the wifi. It seems there is some kind of conflict when having the Cell network on at the same time as the wifi.
2017-5-9
Use props
fans6298d188
New
Flight distance : 21037 ft
United States
Offline

Good to know, my mavic gets here tomorrow and the last thing I want is phone drama
2017-5-11
Use props
Kibouchi
New
United States
Offline

fans6298d188 Posted at 2017-5-11 19:41
Good to know, my mavic gets here tomorrow and the last thing I want is phone drama

Wow, I've got an Osmo and I've had to use my wife's old iPhone 6 because my Pixel couldn't connect but you're little hack worked!

Sure enough, if I go into airplane mode, turn WiFi back on it works flawlessly. And just to test, I swiped the top menu down -while connected to my Osmo and viewing through the app - and turned airplane mode back off again just to see and the video instantly cut out. That's bizarre. A little annoying because I won't be able to receive calls/texts while using it but oh well.

Ok, next BIG QUESTION: Does the DJI Go app work with the Pixel 2??? I don't have that phone yet but would like to get it as I otherwise love my Pixel. However, going to get something else if my Osmo can't connect to it regularly.
2018-1-1
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules