12Next >
6354 42 2016-12-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DaveAus
lvl.2
Flight distance : 100807 ft
Australia

I have a kick ass pair and i cant see in the rules (Australia) that line of sight has to be naked eye
2016-12-7
Use props
Henrywilliams3
New

United States

It is in the US. So to be on the safe side, just use the naked eye
2016-12-7
Use props
Bent Kangaroo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 362510 ft
Australia

LOS is without aid.
In Australia it specifically states no binoculars.
How do you control your UAV and keep binocs pointed and focused with only two hands?
Using binocs doesnt allow you the spacial awareness of where your UAV actually is when viewed from afar.
There are probably several reasons but i think mainly that law is included because the gov.t are bunch of fun wreckers.
2016-12-7
Use props
DaveAus
lvl.2
Australia

Bugger
2016-12-7
Use props
DaveAus
lvl.2
Australia

Bent Kangaroo Posted at 2016-12-8 13:08
LOS is without aid.
In Australia it specifically states no binoculars.

What about glasses?
2016-12-7
Use props
Bent Kangaroo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 362510 ft
Australia

https://www.casa.gov.au/modelaircraft

might help
2016-12-7
Use props
JasonMBryant
lvl.3

United States

Even when I'm focused on setting something up on the controller, I'm constantly glancing up at my drone to make sure it's okay. If it's too far away to see without binoculars, then you won't be able to find it quickly once you start looking through them. I can't imagine pulling up binoculars and trying to find the drone every few seconds.
2016-12-7
Use props
CADDJockey
lvl.3
Flight distance : 163934 ft
United States

The Mavic is so small, and the color blends in with the sky so well that it practically disappears at about 400 feet away or less.  With a 4 mile range, there must be a lot of rule breakers out there .
2016-12-7
Use props
DaveAus
lvl.2
Australia

Bent Kangaroo Posted at 2016-12-8 13:17
https://www.casa.gov.au/modelaircraft

might help

Im kidding
2016-12-7
Use props
DaveAus
lvl.2
Australia

JasonMBryant Posted at 2016-12-8 13:17
Even when I'm focused on setting something up on the controller, I'm constantly glancing up at my drone to make sure it's okay. If it's too far away to see without binoculars, then you won't be able to find it quickly once you start looking through them. I can't imagine pulling up binoculars and trying to find the drone every few seconds.

Hope everyone picked up the cheeky humour of the comment lol
Yeah I'm afraid of losing it so it doesn't get too far from me.
2016-12-7
Use props
Bmanpoo
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1434 ft
United States

CADDJockey Posted at 2016-12-8 14:47
The Mavic is so small, and the color blends in with the sky so well that it practically disappears at about 400 feet away or less.  With a 4 mile range, there must be a lot of rule breakers out there  .

This is exactly my thoughts. I was going to post a thread about this. I've only flown it a few times. But if it gets a few 100 yards away and 150 feet altitude, I can't find it the sky at all. Its pretty much a dark speck. You have to look down at the controller and display, and then trying to look back up and find that thing is impossible. I usually have to fly it up and down or side to side to locate it. In all these videos I see posted, I suspect there is no way people have them in line of sight for all of that.
2016-12-8
Use props
Nerds=Drones
lvl.2

United States

They use the terms "corrective lenses" for glasses.  
And binoculars don't count for line of sight in the US
2016-12-9
Use props
MacIak
lvl.3
Flight distance : 3419 ft
Belgium

Im sorry I think I missed the point: a manufacturer advertises with rc/av of 4 miles, and goggles next year. And you're expected to keep the critter LoS? Really?
2016-12-9
Use props
R&L Aerial
First Officer
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

I don't always fly line of sight unless I'm around people, if your out in the middle of nowhere, I fly instrument only.
2016-12-9
Use props
Mir
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2718491 ft
  • >>>
United States

Binoculars? Binoculars are for amateurs. I use a telescope to fly "LOS"
2016-12-9
Use props
Mir
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2718491 ft
  • >>>
United States

Forgot to post the meme
MEM.jpg
2016-12-9
Use props
Gary Mac
lvl.4
Flight distance : 741683 ft
United States

In US:  Unaided eye (corrective lenses/glasses allowed) is required... day OR night.  Binoculars, telescopes, FPV, etc. don't count.  

A second person with an unaided eye and in a position to see the drone when you can't due to obstruction or distance AND in constant contact with you as the pilot will also, technically, fulfill the requirement (even by radio or phone) .

As for the range, 4+ miles is a great range to tout in advertisement, but the reality is RELIABILITY when flying much closer and around obstacles/interference.  Occusync should allow for a better margin of error when flying legally without loss of signal, which makes for a more enjoyable and safer flying experience.  It's hard to quantify and advertise "Better LOS reliability in 'unfriendly' environments."

Finally, using goggles is perfectly fine in the US as long as you have a spotter.  So, if you get the DJI goggles (like I plan to) you would technically need a spotter by your side to maintain LOS while you fly and warn of other AC or dangers.

Gary

P.S.  Like the posted speed limit, laws are meant to keep people safer than without.  Whether or not you choose to follow those laws is a matter of personal choice.  My advice:  KNOW those laws, regardless of your decision to follow them or not.  ;)
2016-12-9
Use props
Q5NXoEGHzO17
New

United States

Bmanpoo Posted at 2016-12-9 00:22
This is exactly my thoughts. I was going to post a thread about this. I've only flown it a few times. But if it gets a few 100 yards away and 150 feet altitude, I can't find it the sky at all. Its pretty much a dark speck. You have to look down at the controller and display, and then trying to look back up and find that thing is impossible. I usually have to fly it up and down or side to side to locate it. In all these videos I see posted, I suspect there is no way people have them in line of sight for all of that.

I the settings I turned on the LEDs so the red ones stay on and it makes seeing it a lot easier.  especially as it gets late in the day
2016-12-9
Use props
Flying Higher
lvl.1

All of you guys are forgetting that the use of visual aids on the drone are allowed.  For example, installing a large box below drone to make it easier to see.  Obviously, the larger the drone, the further the VLOS range.  But, of course, installing boxes is not realistic solution.  So, I am experimenting with high powered strobes for daylight use.  So far, I have extended my mid-day VLOS range from 500m to 2,500m.  I am working on a strobe that I hope will allow VLOS at 3,500m.    Also experimenting with attitudinal strobes, that can help pilot determine which way drone is flying at distance with no screen help.  When I am done, I will post on YouTube.  Also running with strobes is a great way to aid low flying aircraft such as Helicopters.  Anything that makes your drone more visible to both you and others is a plus for safety.  If a side benefit is that a drone can fly further, that is a win-win for all concerned.  The only disadvantage of drone strobes that I can think of us is light pollution.........it makes a drone more visible to people on the ground.  Most of us like to fly in such a way that people never see us, and we never see them.  A strobe doesn't help us see them and hence avoid them, but it does help them see us.  
2019-9-9
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>

Flying Higher Posted at 9-9 05:51
All of you guys are forgetting that the use of visual aids on the drone are allowed.  For example, installing a large box below drone to make it easier to see.  Obviously, the larger the drone, the further the VLOS range.  But, of course, installing boxes is not realistic solution.  So, I am experimenting with high powered strobes for daylight use.  So far, I have extended my mid-day VLOS range from 500m to 2,500m.  I am working on a strobe that I hope will allow VLOS at 3,500m.    Also experimenting with attitudinal strobes, that can help pilot determine which way drone is flying at distance with no screen help.  When I am done, I will post on YouTube.  Also running with strobes is a great way to aid low flying aircraft such as Helicopters.  Anything that makes your drone more visible to both you and others is a plus for safety.  If a side benefit is that a drone can fly further, that is a win-win for all concerned.  The only disadvantage of drone strobes that I can think of us is light pollution.........it makes a drone more visible to people on the ground.  Most of us like to fly in such a way that people never see us, and we never see them.  A strobe doesn't help us see them and hence avoid them, but it does help them see us.

Depending on the country you are in, VLOS may have to be unaided,  so stropes etc are not acceptable for VLOS extension,  for example in the US the rule says -

With vision that is unaided by any device other than corrective lenses, the remote pilot in command, the visual observer (if one is used), and the person manipulating the flight control of the small unmanned aircraft system must be able to see the unmanned aircraft throughout the entire flight in order to:

(1) Know the unmanned aircraft’s location;
(2) Determine the unmanned aircraft’s attitude, altitude, and direction of flight;
(3) Observe the airspace for other air traffic or hazards; and
(4) Determine that the unmanned aircraft does not endanger the life or property of another.

2019-9-9
Use props
Lucas775
First Officer
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>

2019-9-9
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13864580 ft
  • >>>

2019-9-9
Use props
bobsma
lvl.4

CADDJockey Posted at 2016-12-7 22:47
The Mavic is so small, and the color blends in with the sky so well that it practically disappears at about 400 feet away or less.  With a 4 mile range, there must be a lot of rule breakers out there  .

The FAA knows this rule is broken all the time and that it's almost impossible to enforce. it's only in place  to give Pilots the illusion they are safe from a mid air collision with a drone.
2019-9-10
Use props
bobsma
lvl.4

DAFlys Posted at 9-9 06:02
Depending on the country you are in, VLOS may have to be unaided,  so stropes etc are not acceptable for VLOS extension,  for example in the US the rule says -

With vision that is unaided by any device other than corrective lenses, the remote pilot in command, the visual observer (if one is used), and the person manipulating the flight control of the small unmanned aircraft system must be able to see the unmanned aircraft throughout the entire flight in order to:

how many people are killed by drones on a daily basis from people who don't fly line of sight?
2019-9-10
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>

bobsma Posted at 9-10 00:51
how many people are killed by drones on a daily basis from people who don't fly line of sight?

I don't agree with the VLOS rules either,  but simply sharing them here.
2019-9-10
Use props
bobsma
lvl.4

DAFlys Posted at 9-10 01:26
I don't agree with the VLOS rules either,  but simply sharing them here.

it just a suggestion by the FAA, but in reality it's to please the Pilots in fear of a mid-air. plus so many people fly over 400 feet. I just use common sense and always put safety first. I always stay out of the airspace of airplanes, copters, etc.....   where I fly I can't even remember the last time I have seen a low flying airplane (less than 2000 feet).  It's because it's like $200 an hour to fly nowadays!!!!!  a total ripoff.
2019-9-10
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>

bobsma Posted at 9-10 04:29
it just a suggestion by the FAA, but in reality it's to please the Pilots in fear of a mid-air. plus so many people fly over 400 feet. I just use common sense and always put safety first. I always stay out of the airspace of airplanes, copters, etc.....   where I fly I can't even remember the last time I have seen a low flying airplane (less than 2000 feet).  It's because it's like $200 an hour to fly nowadays!!!!!  a total ripoff.

I was flying at 200ft over a river the other week and a small plane doing barrel rolls came over the top of me and there was no way he was above 500ft.
2019-9-10
Use props
bobsma
lvl.4

DAFlys Posted at 9-10 05:06
I was flying at 200ft over a river the other week and a small plane doing barrel rolls came over the top of me and there was no way he was above 500ft.

you should see the Wicked Tuna Helicopters filming in Gloucester Harbor.  they fly less than 100 feet over boats and homes all the time.
2019-9-10
Use props
bobsma
lvl.4

2019-9-10
Use props
fans48f0c1a5
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2278898 ft

DAFlys Posted at 9-10 05:06

Yes ive had planes and helicopters flying below 500ft, 3 in last month which begs the question if light aircraft are supposed to be above 500ft and drones are not allowed above 400ft who's fault is it if a plane or heli crashes into a drone at 200ft. There does not seem to be any apps to detect low flying aicraft that are not broadcasting their presence.
2019-9-10
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>

fans48f0c1a5 Posted at 9-10 08:08
Yes ive had planes and helicopters flying below 500ft, 3 in last month which begs the question if light aircraft are supposed to be above 500ft and drones are not allowed above 400ft who's fault is it if a plane or heli crashes into a drone at 200ft. There does not seem to be any apps to detect low flying aicraft that are not broadcasting their presence.

Got to be the planes fault.
2019-9-10
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>

bobsma Posted at 9-10 06:42
you should see the Wicked Tuna Helicopters filming in Gloucester Harbor.  they fly less than 100 feet over boats and homes all the time.

The cheek of it.  
2019-9-10
Use props
Gimpy
lvl.4

bobsma Posted at 9-10 04:29

The FAA doesn't consider it a "suggestion", but a requirement. You can, of course, ignore any law or regulation, but that doesn't mean it's only a suggestion.
2019-9-10
Use props
Gimpy
lvl.4

fans48f0c1a5 Posted at 9-10 08:08

It would depend on the circumstances, but at least in the United States, unmanned pilots are required to give way (i.e., yield) to manned aircraft, even if the manned aircraft is flying where you think (perhaps correctly) it shouldn't be.
2019-9-10
Use props
bobsma
lvl.4

Gimpy Posted at 9-10 08:32
The FAA doesn't consider it a "suggestion", but a requirement. You can, of course, ignore any law or regulation, but that doesn't mean it's only a suggestion.

i obey all laws. I am just talking about the average drone pilot. You sir must be guilty to even suggest such a thing.
2019-9-10
Use props
Gimpy
lvl.4

bobsma Posted at 9-10 13:27
i obey all laws. I am just talking about the average drone pilot. You sir must be guilty to even suggest such a thing.

Well, whatever else I am or am not, at least I'm not dumb enough to claim that the VLOS regulation is a "suggestion" from the FAA.

See what happens when you make it personal . . . "sir"?

2019-9-10
Use props
bobsma
lvl.4

Gimpy Posted at 9-10 13:37
Well, whatever else I am or am not, at least I'm not dumb enough to claim that the VLOS regulation is a "suggestion" from the FAA.

See what happens when you make it personal . . . "sir"?

i never claimed it was. I said in reality the FAA knows everybody and their brother/sister will break this rule including you at times. it just a simple fact of life. so Yes... in reality it's a suggestion to keep us Pilots happy.
2019-9-10
Use props
TvoiaSoia
New

United Kingdom

don't think that binoculars are really used...
2020-1-3
Use props
Picanoc Jack
First Officer
Flight distance : 10321657 ft
Canada

Epson moveria 300BT,  thinking about getting them this spring.
2020-1-3
Use props
Beeworld
lvl.4
Flight distance : 190259 ft
Australia

I wish! technically it's 'Beyond Visible Line of Sight' to the naked eye (there's probably provision for corrective lenses, maybe you could argue that's what the binoculars are for?)
2020-1-3
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules