Slow flying Mavic Issues
8038 16 2016-12-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Foxglove84
lvl.2
United States

Has anybody experienced a slow flying mavic?  I know with obstacle avoidance, the Mavic tops out at 22mph.  With it off, I know it reaches speeds of 30+mph.  I just recently received my Mavic and had one test flight with one battery, so I wasn't able to truly troubleshoot.  
I had Obstacle avoidance on, and sure enough it was only traveling at 20-22 mph.  I turned the Obstacle Avoidance off midflight and no change-- still had an average speed of 20-22 with the Mavic not going faster than 22.  I was wondering if I needed to turn Obstacle avoidance off when the Mavic is on the ground?  Although, I think the manual says I can switch the Obstacle Avoidance while in flight.

I haven't had the chance to use sport mode.

Thanks for the help-- my apologies if this post is redundant.  I tried the search button for slow flight and got no results on the forum.
2016-12-8
Use props
CamStevens
lvl.4

United States

Obstacle Avoidance doesn't affect the speed of the Mavic (unless of course it is trying to stop the drone).  One of the things P-Mode does is to restrict the maximum lean angle of the drone.  This in turn restricts the maximum speed it can attain.  One of the REASONS for this maximum speed is to keep the stopping distance of the drone LESS than the range of the Obstacle Avoidance.  Sport mode increases the maximum lean angle, allowing the drone to reach higher speeds.  Sport mode also changes the gains on the controller, making it more responsive (or more herky jerky in my less experienced hands).
2016-12-8
Use props
Foxglove84
lvl.2
United States

CamStevens Posted at 2016-12-8 10:18
Obstacle Avoidance doesn't affect the speed of the Mavic (unless of course it is trying to stop the drone).  One of the things P-Mode does is to restrict the maximum lean angle of the drone.  This in turn restricts the maximum speed it can attain.  One of the REASONS for this maximum speed is to keep the stopping distance of the drone LESS than the range of the Obstacle Avoidance.  Sport mode increases the maximum lean angle, allowing the drone to reach higher speeds.  Sport mode also changes the gains on the controller, making it more responsive (or more herky jerky in my less experienced hands).

Thanks for the input.  However, I would disagree based on page 11 of the Mavic Pro Manual.

According to the manual "[w]hen the Forward Vision System is enabled and lighting conditions are sufficient, the maximum flight altitude angle is 16 with a maximum flight speed of 22 mph (36 kph)...[w]hen the forward obstacle sensing are disabled, the maximum flight altitude angle is 25 and the maximum flight speed is 36 mph (56kph)."

So you are correct, that the flight altitude angle does change depending on whether the front obstacle avoidance sensors are enabled or disabled, but it also affects the maximum speed.  

2016-12-8
Use props
CamStevens
lvl.4

United States

Foxglove84 Posted at 2016-12-8 10:35
Thanks for the input.  However, I would disagree based on page 11 of the Mavic Pro Manual.

According to the manual "[w]hen the Forward Vision System is enabled and lighting conditions are sufficient, the maximum flight altitude angle is 16 with a maximum flight speed of 22 mph (36 kph)...[w]hen the forward obstacle sensing are disabled, the maximum flight altitude angle is 25 and the maximum flight speed is 36 mph (56kph)."

I stand corrected!  Also consider myself a perfect demonstration that, despite reading the manual cover to cover at least 5 times, don't remember all the details.

Thanks!
2016-12-8
Use props
dotfiles
lvl.3

United States

When turning off Obstacle Avoidance the speed is still restricted when in P mode, you need to switch to sport mode to increase the max speed.

Also make sure you have turned on "Multiple Flight Modes" in the app. If not, then the switch to sport mode will do nothing.
2016-12-8
Use props
z4k4tt4ck
lvl.3
Flight distance : 535 ft
Australia

Begginer mode.
2016-12-8
Use props
airoscar
lvl.2
Flight distance : 272953 ft
United States

You have to put it into sport mode to do the top speed.
(1) beginner mode is disabled
(2) multiple flight mode is enabled
(3) no need to disable OA, just switch the physical switch on the remote to sport mode and OA will be automatically bypassed.
2016-12-8
Use props
Foxglove84
lvl.2
United States

airoscar Posted at 2016-12-8 12:03
You have to put it into sport mode to do the top speed.
(1) beginner mode is disabled
(2) multiple flight mode is enabled

Just as a further clarification, I was not trying to fly full speed using sport mode.  I want to practice first before I do sport mode which will increase speed of up to 40mph.

I was expecting to turn off obstacle avoidance (turned on, it restricts flight speed to a maximum of 22mph), so that it could hit speeds of up to 33 mph.  However, even with obstacle avoidance off, the mavic was topping out to 22mph even during a normal, and windless day out in the desert.

Thanks.
2016-12-8
Use props
fans050bc33d
New
Flight distance : 242598 ft
United States

Enable Flight Modes and turn off obstacle avoidance and it should speed things up, online tech support had no clue when I talked to them
2017-6-24
Use props
bskarpa
lvl.1
Flight distance : 381089 ft
United States

Can someone help me? My Mavic will not fly faster than 5-6mph in normal mode but in sport mode it fly's normally. I've made sure the firmware is up to date and beginner mode is off. Everything seems to be like it normally has been. This has been going on for a while and I can't remember if it has done this since I've got it back from DJI or not or if it was an update.
2017-9-17
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

I just experience this a month or two ago, what you need to do is recalibrate your vision sensor front and bottom. The only way is through dji assistant 2.
2017-9-17
Use props
fansa357ebc7
lvl.1
Canada

Im a little late to this thread, but I also experienced the same issue.  Tried recalibrating the controller and found it was misreading the full forward right stick as only 50%.  Recalibrating solved the problem for me.
2017-12-14
Use props
Mavicwyo
New
United States

I am a new flier but i have a question...where do you enable disable the multiple flight modes? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks
2017-12-14
Use props
Mavicwyo
New
United States

i am only getting 10mph
2017-12-14
Use props
fans920690c8
New
United States

I also have recalibrated everything and can only get ten mph max on normal mode anyone have any updates or fixes by chance? Thank you!
2018-1-14
Use props
Volodymyr Protsenko
New

Canada

hello Guys !! I'm having issues with my drone!! It is only goes 10 mph with a sport mode !! what it can be ? how i can fix it ? thank you
2018-4-28
Use props
CMFDrone
New

Thank you for the above information.  I have also had the problem with my drone not flying above 5 mph unless in sport mode (then up to ~40 mph).  I have followed the following steps and was able to restore my drone:

1. Fully charge all batteries
2. Clean all lenses: Camera and front/bottom obstacle avoidance cameras
3. Connect drone to computer and Launch DJI assistant 2
4. Update firmware
5. Calibrate drone using software
6. Calibrate controller

If you need help with any of these steps, youtube videos can show each of these in detail.
Hope this helps!

Best,

CMF
2018-10-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules