Inquiry about legend in the box of Mavic Fly More combo
997 8 2016-12-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Jose Pablo
lvl.1

Mexico

Hi Forum,
Is there any legend on the Mavic Pro Fly more combo ( or its subsequent boxes) that states this item is not a toy? can you help me out with some pictures of the box (no need to include codebar or any other PII). I am having a very hard time with customs in Mexico with NO support from DJI .
The customs agent is treating the product as if it was a military device and is asking for permission from the department of defense.

2016-12-8
Use props
Petroboy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3681 ft
Canada

Inside the Mavic box is a set of instruction manuals (or you can download from here: http://www.dji.com/mavic/info#downloads ).  Within the first pages of the manual is a full description of the Mavic.  Do you think this is what you would need?
2016-12-8
Use props
dana5
lvl.3
Flight distance : 14354 ft
United States

It's not labelled as a toy, because it is NOT a toy. It's not the Mavic TOY, it's the Mavic PRO. It is a $1000 quad copter that flies at over 40mpg, at up to 1600ft, miles from it's controller, taking 4K HD video, all powered by a Lithium Polymer battery. I can easliy see why they would classify it as more military than a toy.
2016-12-8
Use props
Jose Pablo
lvl.1

Mexico

I understand that but its not a military grade drone, The customs agent is claiming the box states its not a Toy hence it falls in to the military airspace device, I am tryign to have it categorize as a recretional device,IF no legend is there I can argue this instead of the military bs. Do you happen to have some pictures of the box ?
2016-12-8
Use props
WebParrot
First Officer
Flight distance : 23625 ft
  • >>>
United States

Jose Pablo Posted at 2016-12-8 11:47
I understand that but its not a military grade drone, The customs agent is claiming the box states its not a Toy hence it falls in to the military airspace device, I am tryign to have it categorize as a recretional device,IF no legend is there I can argue this instead of the military bs. Do you happen to have some pictures of the box ?

Sounds like it's something for you to take up with your government or elected official.  I'm a citizen of another country, and although I'd like to argue your case for you, you've got a better chance of looking into whatever regulations exist that include the definition of "military grade,"  ... in your country.

Many of the employees of construction companies, and utility servicers use "military grade" laptop computers because of their durability.  I doubt there are customs restrictions in the US preventing them from being brought into the country.  However, a military grade drone might raise some concerns known only to customs :-)
2018-7-16
Use props
LoSBoL
Second Officer
Flight distance : 666483 ft
Netherlands

Hi Jose Pablo,

The international customs trade HS code for a consumer camera drone like a Mavic Air/Pro is HS(or CN) 8802 11 00 as "a helicopter of an unladen weight not exceeding 2,000kg."

You could sent this clarifying document https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal- ... ri=CELEX:32017R0285 to the customs officer for clarification.
And maybe this website as well https://www.gov.uk/government/pu ... ter-so-called-drone

That should be enough to satisfy their need to clear it through customs with the right international customs trade code and not grading it as militairy

Good luck, and let us know how things work out.

2018-7-19
Use props
LoSBoL
Second Officer
Netherlands

WebParrot Posted at 2018-7-16 16:23
Sounds like it's something for you to take up with your government or elected official.  I'm a citizen of another country, and although I'd like to argue your case for you, you've got a better chance of looking into whatever regulations exist that include the definition of "military grade,"  ... in your country.

Many of the employees of construction companies, and utility servicers use "military grade" laptop computers because of their durability.  I doubt there are customs restrictions in the US preventing them from being brought into the country.  However, a military grade drone might raise some concerns known only to customs :-)

Holy Necropost, Batman!

Wandering if Jose Pablo is doing hard time for trying to import militairy grade equipment
2018-7-19
Use props
WebParrot
First Officer
Flight distance : 23625 ft
  • >>>
United States

LoSBoL Posted at 2018-7-19 02:09
Holy Necropost, Batman!

Wandering if Jose Pablo is doing hard time for trying to import militairy grade equipment

Way off topic.... (sorry, I'm a story teller).  A long time friend of mine shared a travel story from his cycling-across-europe following graduation from journalism school.  He was carrying more camera equipment than camping gear, including a (then) monstrous telephoto lens.  At a border crossing, staffed by the military, he was detained while they checked on him.  He was told that only spies would carry such expensive equipment and trying to hide his intent by riding a bike wouldn't work!  Oh, I forgot to mention, this was in the late 1970's - pre-EU.  Military grade telephoto lense?  After 4 hours he was allow to enter AND he kept his gear.
2018-7-19
Use props
LoSBoL
Second Officer
Netherlands

WebParrot Posted at 2018-7-19 03:43
Way off topic.... (sorry, I'm a story teller).  A long time friend of mine shared a travel story from his cycling-across-europe following graduation from journalism school.  He was carrying more camera equipment than camping gear, including a (then) monstrous telephoto lens.  At a border crossing, staffed by the military, he was detained while they checked on him.  He was told that only spies would carry such expensive equipment and trying to hide his intent by riding a bike wouldn't work!  Oh, I forgot to mention, this was in the late 1970's - pre-EU.  Military grade telephoto lense?  After 4 hours he was allow to enter AND he kept his gear.

I like your storytelling
2018-7-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules