Low battery warning (nice surprise)
1196 7 2016-12-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Blade Breaker 0
lvl.2

United States

HI,

A couple days ago I was flying over some of my property and was quite a ways away. Battery level was about 60% and when it got to 54% I had a warning about the battery level being low. So I headed back and when I got close to my home possition it was just under 30%. I am guessing that the Mavic calculated the amount of battery required to get back to the home possition and let me know that I was going to be low on battery? I didnt that the Mavic would do that. Anyone else had this experience?

It was a strong head wind coming back and I was very happy I got the warning because I wasnt thinking that part into my flight that day. Without the warning I would have been landing in a frozen rough field.  

Thanks
2016-12-9
Use props
Flight Raptor
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3014675 ft
  • >>>
United States

I don't have the Mavic Pro, but I highly suspect they used similar coding as their Phantoms and this alert is always there....in fact, you should be able to customize in the GO APP when the warnings show up (i.e. 50%, 40%, 30%, etc)
2016-12-9
Use props
jvanderhoff
lvl.3
Flight distance : 14045 ft
United States

I'm not sure how the Mavic determines the battery necessary to RTH, I would think it is a basic calculation which may or may not take into account how much battery it has used since takeoff. I doubt it takes wind into consideration. The system probably just gives itself alot of wiggle room since you did mention you had ~30% battery upon return.
2016-12-9
Use props
Nees
lvl.4
Flight distance : 80991 ft
Belgium

When you look at the top, you see the battery bar. It is dynamically changing. The closes to you, the longer the green bar, the shorter the yellow and red bar. The further you go away from you, the point to return safe, changes more to the middle, longer yellow bar. Pretty easy to calculate concerning distance... But it will not take into account of windspeed. So always be safe and when very far away, bring it back closer before you need to and be on the limit of not making it, when there are strong headwinds that you didn't know.
2016-12-9
Use props
Danny-B-
lvl.4
Flight distance : 306640 ft
United Kingdom

As Nees says

Its called Smart Return to Home .. I found this pic on google which illustraits what Nees describes. Very good system.

Smart_RTH.jpg
2016-12-9
Use props
FPVJunkie
lvl.2
Flight distance : 66421 ft
United States

Have you tried reading the manual? No offense, but it contains a lot of valuable information that won't leave you with surprises when messages pop up.
2016-12-9
Use props
Blade Breaker 0
lvl.2

United States

FPVJunkie Posted at 2016-12-10 04:44
Have you tried reading the manual? No offense, but it contains a lot of valuable information that won't leave you with surprises when messages pop up.

Ha, should have expected that. Yes I read the manual, well most of it at least. I have been flying APM controlled drones for years. I guess my nice surprise that it worked without any set up or tuning required. First DJI product so I thought I would share a moment.

Thanks
2016-12-9
Use props
FPVJunkie
lvl.2
Flight distance : 66421 ft
United States

Yeah, I'll be in the same boat as you once I receive mine. I've been flying quads for a couple years now, but all scratch-built and none of them have GPS/Telemetry, so it'll be a learning experience for me as well.
2016-12-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules