Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Maiden Flight question
1423 13 2016-12-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
NomadRT
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1669012 ft
United States

Just took my maiden flight with the Mavic.    I flew a Phantom 3 previously a good bit.

Everything worked perfectly except one glitch:     I did a RTH to test.    It returned home ok, but then when it went into auto land, it stopped about 3 feet off the ground and gave me a warning that it wasn't a suitable place to land (and it's a drive way so it should be good).    I took control again and flew around some more.   I came back in to land again and just to test once more I initiated an auto land over the drive way again.    It decended to about 3 feet again and gave the same error.    I manually moved the craft forward over the grass and then it successfully auto landed.  

Any ideas?
2016-12-9
Use props
fans05e6c58a
lvl.4
United States

what kind of driveway,gravel,paved,dirt?
2016-12-9
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

Is it a flat concrete driveway?
Did none of the limitations come into play?
If not, try taking off from some different location and surfaces, if it still does the same thing you can try to calibrate the sensors from the Assistant2.

2016-12-9
Use props
NomadRT
Second Officer
United States

Thanks for the replies.   It's a flat concrete driveway.   It landed normally on the nearby grass.   It was getting dark (and cold) so I didn't test too much.   I'll try again tomorrow when I have light and it's not as cold.  
2016-12-9
Use props
Spridal
lvl.3
United States

NomadRT Posted at 2016-12-9 18:03
Thanks for the replies.   It's a flat concrete driveway.   It landed normally on the nearby grass.   It was getting dark (and cold) so I didn't test too much.   I'll try again tomorrow when I have light and it's not as cold.

I wonder if the driveway has some type of metal underneath that might be causing the issue?
2016-12-9
Use props
NomadRT
Second Officer
United States

I don't know.   I never had a problem with my Phantom 3.   Took of and landed 40+ times.   
2016-12-9
Use props
FPVJunkie
lvl.3
Flight distance : 66421 ft
United States

Page 14 of the manual. It looks like it is looking for a confirmation to land because the DVS couldn't identify the landing spot (maybe because it was one solid color).
Landing.jpeg
2016-12-9
Use props
NomadRT
Second Officer
United States

Actually I think I might have figured this out accidentally.     Take in mind I had a Phantom 3 before the Mavic.   I initiated RTH and was standing there on the narrow driveway as the craft descended to land.   Once it got within 3 to 5 feet off the ground I think the forward collision avoidance sensors detected ME standing in front of it.    That is when it decided this might not be a great place to land.   

This afternoon I initiated a RTH and stepped back away from the area and it came in and landed without a warning on the drive way.     Sound like a reasonable guess as to what was happening?
2016-12-10
Use props
rick39
Second Officer
Flight distance : 164354 ft
United Kingdom

If this was on the same spot then maybe that is the explanation. However, it seems the warning you were getting was detected by the downward facing cameras that assess the contours and level suitability of the ground. Low light may have confused it, but you could have overridden the Mavic and held the left stick down to land manually, if you were satisfied it was safe to do so.
2016-12-10
Use props
NomadRT
Second Officer
United States

rick39 Posted at 2016-12-10 20:16
If this was on the same spot then maybe that is the explanation. However, it seems the warning you were getting was detected by the downward facing cameras that assess the contours and level suitability of the ground. Low light may have confused it, but you could have overridden the Mavic and held the left stick down to land manually, if you were satisfied it was safe to do so.

Yeah it was the same place tonight.   Same time of day and bad lighting.   The only variable was that I wasn't standing in front of it.    With my Phantom 3 I would stand pretty close in front of the craft when it was landing.    It occurred to me that the Mavic has collision avoidance and might have been the cause.

Either way it landed on the spot tonight that it deemed not a good place yesterday.    I'll test more tomorrow.   Taking nice safe easy flights around the house to begin with to make sure the craft is functioning correctly.
2016-12-10
Use props
kcByfizTnnOh
lvl.1

United States

Just got my mavic today. Charged everything up and got mavic put together for flight. Can i go fly after firmware update, or do I need to do any calibrations? The mavic didn't inform me to do so. It locked in connection and was ready for take off. I did do 4 flights with no problems.
2016-12-10
Use props
kcByfizTnnOh
lvl.1

United States

DJI-KEN any suggestions?
2016-12-11
Use props
NomadRT
Second Officer
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-12-9 19:31
Is it a flat concrete driveway?
Did none of the limitations come into play?
If not, try taking off from some different location and surfaces, if it still does the same thing you can try to calibrate the sensors from the Assistant2.

I have had no repeat of the landing glitch.   This leads me to believe that my theory posted above is what happened that night:    I was standing too close to where the Mavic was landing, so when it got low enough for the forward sensors to detect my body it decided landing might not be such a good idea.   

This explains why it lands without issue now when I don't stand so close.   This also explains why I was able to back it up onto the grass that night and land it (I backed it out of range of my body to be detected).   

Thought I'd post a follow up!
2016-12-13
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

NomadRT Posted at 2016-12-13 07:22
I have had no repeat of the landing glitch.   This leads me to believe that my theory posted above is what happened that night:    I was standing too close to where the Mavic was landing, so when it got low enough for the forward sensors to detect my body it decided landing might not be such a good idea.   

This explains why it lands without issue now when I don't stand so close.   This also explains why I was able to back it up onto the grass that night and land it (I backed it out of range of my body to be detected).   

Ok great, glad it's all worked out.Thanks for posting.
2016-12-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules