1931 39 2016-12-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Sky173
lvl.2
Flight distance : 70289 ft
United States

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg ... 68f35a813282840.jpg

Anyone else having terrible FPV issues like this? Since the new latest updates for the Phantom 4, I get nothing but streaks of colors across my LG G3 phone. I never had this issue before. It used to look beautiful. Now that I'm filming for customers using this machine sometimes, it's rather embarrassing. I can't see anything. The problem becomes even more of an issue when we, as pilots, are supposed to keep our equipment's software up-to-date.

DJI, what do we do? How do we fix this? I can't fly like this.

I'm using the P4 standard with a LG G3 phone. There is no other software that could potentially interfere as I've uninstalled nearly everything. I've never had issues before. I've tried different locations, from city flying to country flying... no luck. I might have to start building my own equipent, but I love my P4.

2016-12-9
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Sorry to hear about the issue, we'd love to help you get it sorted out.
Just to clarify, you noticed the poor image after RC upgrading or AC upgrading? Have you tried another mobile device which is in DJI recommended list to check the performance?
Besides, you have installed HDMI module or not?
What's the firmware version before you upgrade it to the latest?
2016-12-9
Use props
Sky173
lvl.2
United States

Wow, thanks for the quick response. I did install the HDMI module, hoping to give customers a 3rd 'eye-in-the-sky' on a 24 in. monitor.

The last P4 software was V01.02.0503, but upgraded to V01.02.0602 (current)
I'm not sure of the software vers. for the DJI GO app, but I just installed the latest version which is now on both the LG G3 and the Nexus 9 (version 3.1.0). Also, I uninstalled all 3rd party software from my Nexus 9.

Here are the results on the Nexus 9:
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/180144053825254111/
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/180144053825254109/
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/180144053825254107/
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/180144053825254102/

At first, once I load up, the image is fine, but once it's in the air, it goes bad and stays that way. I'm flying within 10 meters and this happens. Ideas
Please keep in mind, we're supposed to keep everything up-to-date (FAA regs) in USA.

Here's a quick video:

2016-12-9
Use props
Normn8or
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1466611 ft
United States

Good luck.
2016-12-10
Use props
Sky173
lvl.2
United States

Thanks.

The first thing I did when I woke I ran some tests. I turned everything on and everything was fine up, until the 2:30 mark in the video.

Test footage 2 - Bare with me as it's a long video... but the problems start at the 2:30 mark. I have no ability to downgrade to a previous version for the DJI GO app, and if I downgrade the sUAS software, it wont even start up due to incompatibilities between the sUAS and the DJI GO software...

Hardware I have is the Phantom 4 and a Nexus 9 and an LG G3 with DJI GO 3.1.0.
I had excellent FPV before about 1 week ago using both the phone and the Nexus.

Any thoughts?

2016-12-10
Use props
fans8cf0d029
lvl.3
Flight distance : 124672 ft
United States

Have you tried Litchi?
WA5TEF
2016-12-10
Use props
mircury
New
Flight distance : 127753 ft
United States

Sky173 Posted at 2016-12-10 13:57
Thanks.

The first thing I did when I woke I ran some tests. I turned everything on and everything was fine up, until the 2:30 mark in the video.

I had this issue too. I downgraded my RC firmware to 1.6 and it works. I hope they figure out what's wrong soon. It is pretty embarrassing. I was trying to show some friends on vacation and it was completely unwatchable.
2016-12-10
Use props
fansb1fe1104
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3372566 ft
United States

mircury Posted at 2016-12-10 23:44
I had this issue too. I downgraded my RC firmware to 1.6 and it works. I hope they figure out what's wrong soon. It is pretty embarrassing. I was trying to show some friends on vacation and it was completely unwatchable.

I had same problem and down graded the RC to 1.6 and now I get the glitch once in a while...usually when its close to me.
2016-12-10
Use props
Sky173
lvl.2
United States

Quote fans8cf0d029: "Have you tried Litchi"

Yes, same results, see video, thanks for the advise.

To mircury and fansb1fe1104:

I'll give that a try. Thanks again.

It apprears to occur when I shut down the controller. It cools down. Then I start everything up and after a minute or two, it starts happening again.

2016-12-11
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Sky173 Posted at 2016-12-11 17:19
Quote fans8cf0d029: "Have you tried Litchi"

Yes, same results, see video, thanks for the advise.

As above try rolling your RC firmware back to V1.6 until there is a newer update than V1.8.

Connect display device (with wifi connection) to RC and power both up (aircraft off).

Run DJI Go, on initial screen (where it displays aircraft type etc) at top right hand corner you will see a 'graduation hat' icon (or three lines if Android). Hold your finger on that for about 5 seconds and release. You should now see a black screen appear with an option to roll back RC firmware. Make sure RC is well charged, takes about 5 minutes or so. Power down when complete. Restart all and check all working, you may need to relink RC to aircraft.
2016-12-11
Use props
Sky173
lvl.2
United States

Aardvark Posted at 2016-12-11 13:22
As above try rolling your RC firmware back to V1.6 until there is a newer update than V1.8.

Connect display device (with wifi connection) to RC and power both up (aircraft off).

Great, I'll give that a try. I installed the HDMI module a few days ago, but I was having connection issues prior to that. If the 'roll-back' doesn't work, I'll remove the HDMI module and start from scratch. Thanks Aardvark, and all.
2016-12-11
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Sky173 Posted at 2016-12-11 18:31
Great, I'll give that a try. I installed the HDMI module a few days ago, but I was having connection issues prior to that. If the 'roll-back' doesn't work, I'll remove the HDMI module and start from scratch. Thanks Aardvark, and all.

Keep an eye on that HDMI module as well, seems to crop up in a number of similar reports.
2016-12-11
Use props
Sky173
lvl.2
United States

Will do...
2016-12-11
Use props
Jcostello
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1861490 ft

United Kingdom

down grade your firmware pal................................some of the later downloads are a nightmare to some P4 mine included
2016-12-11
Use props
Dacon Productio
lvl.2

United States

Why are your antennas crossed is storage position?
I ALWAYS have the same problem, issues is with all the DJI Go app crap programs in the same app like P3, P3A, P3P, Mavic, Osmo and the video downlink.
DJI should make separate apps for each application and not jam all in one.
After I installed the 32 hack and found a clean channel, the video was 99% better and stable.
2016-12-11
Use props
Sky173
lvl.2
United States

Dacon Productio Posted at 2016-12-11 15:14
Why are your antennas crossed is storage position?
I ALWAYS have the same problem, issues is with all the DJI Go app crap programs in the same app like P3, P3A, P3P, Mavic, Osmo and the video downlink.
DJI should make separate apps for each application and not jam all in one.

The antennas were crossed due to pets walking around. I didn't want them to break off. I agree that each aircraft should have their own app but understand the economic part of why they don't do that.

As a certified FAA sUAS pilot, were not supposed to use hacks... why? To cover our butts. Only DJI recommended software should be used. If something goes terribly wrong while using a hack, The FAA will point fingers at you and I'm sure you don't want that. I sure don't, lol. Maybe DJI will widen their channel bands, especially if other people do it without issues (using hacks)? Only time will tell...
2016-12-11
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

The additional channels are locked out because they are outside the range allowed by the FCC. So using them is illegal (at least, in countries under FCC control).
2016-12-11
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

Sky173 Posted at 2016-12-12 08:12
The antennas were crossed due to pets walking around. I didn't want them to break off. I agree that each aircraft should have their own app but understand the economic part of why they don't do that.

As a certified FAA sUAS pilot, were not supposed to use hacks... why? To cover our butts. Only DJI recommended software should be used. If something goes terribly wrong while using a hack, The FAA will point fingers at you and I'm sure you don't want that. I sure don't, lol. Maybe DJI will widen their channel bands, especially if other people do it without issues (using hacks)? Only time will tell...

'The antennas were crossed due to pets walking around. I didn't want them to break off. I agree that each aircraft should have their own app but understand the economic part of why they don't do that.'

Stand the antennas up, they won't work properly like that. If you are worried about pets, put everything on a table.
2016-12-11
Use props
Sky173
lvl.2
United States

Geebax Posted at 2016-12-11 16:41
'The antennas were crossed due to pets walking around. I didn't want them to break off. I agree that each aircraft should have their own app but understand the economic part of why they don't do that.'

Stand the antennas up, they won't work properly like that. If you are worried about pets, put everything on a table.

understood.... still have issues with them extended.

Agree Aardvark
2016-12-11
Use props
Sky173
lvl.2
United States

Alrighty... I spent last night trying to figure it out and I think I found the issue. My controller doesn't like V1.6.0. I downgraded the controller and the P4 to the previous firmware. Once I did that, the picture was perfect! I was so happy, but unfortunately I'm grounded because it's not 'up-to-date'. I left the controller at V1.5.80 and upgrade the P4 to the latest version and the picture was still perfect. Once I upgraded the controller to V1.6.0, the image problem came back.

I've been seeing people on the forums talk about a version V1.8.0 but I haven't see it yet...

Sorry the video is so dark, My cheapo camera doesn't do well in low-light. Any thoughts about what to do at this point?

Little issue with the video during the encoding process at the 9:30 mark... it comes back.

2016-12-12
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Sky173 Posted at 2016-12-12 18:01
Alrighty... I spent last night trying to figure it out and I think I found the issue. My controller doesn't like V1.6.0. I downgraded the controller and the P4 to the previous firmware. Once I did that, the picture was perfect! I was so happy, but unfortunately I'm grounded because it's not 'up-to-date'. I left the controller at V1.5.80 and upgrade the P4 to the latest version and the picture was still perfect. Once I upgraded the controller to V1.6.0, the image problem came back.

I've been seeing people on the forums talk about a version V1.8.0 but I haven't see it yet...

I had assumed that you would be rolling back from V1.8 to V1.6 as you said you had all the latest upgrades. Now a number of people complained of video transmission problems after moving to V1.8, so the roll back was  fix for some. If you can get picture perfect then that should be sufficient surely. After doing the rollback to V1.6 did you try resetting controller and re-linking to the aircraft ?

The P4 should be good on latest firmware.

Edit:- Perhas you need to consider one of the devices on DJIs supported list.

iOS Version v3.1.1.
Requires iOS 8.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone 5s, iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6s, iPhone 6s Plus,iPod touch 6,iPad Pro, iPad Air, iPad Air Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 2, iPad mini 2 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad Air 2, iPad Air 2 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 3, iPad mini 3 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 4, and iPad mini 4 Wi-Fi + Cellular. This app is optimized for iPhone 5s, iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus.
Android Version  v3.1.0.
Requires Android 4.1.2 or later.Compatible with Samsung tabs 705c, Samsung S6, Samsung S5, Samsung NOTE4, Samsung NOTE3, Google Nexus 6p, Nexus 9, Google Nexus 7 II, Ascend Mate7, Huawei P8 Max, Huawei Mate 8, LG V20, Nubia Z7 mini, Sony Xperia Z3, MI 3, MI PAD, Smartisan T1.

2016-12-12
Use props
Sky173
lvl.2
United States

Thanks for the fast response, Aardvark. Actually, I haven't seen V1.8.

V1.6 is the latest version I know of.  V1.6 has been giving me all the issues, so I rolled back to V1.5.80. That's when the picture cam back. I'll connect everything up and see if a 1.8 appears.... HOPEFULLY! I hope that works.
Thank you kindly.
2016-12-12
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Sky173 Posted at 2016-12-12 18:34
Thanks for the fast response, Aardvark. Actually, I haven't seen V1.8.

V1.6 is the latest version I know of.  V1.6 has been giving me all the issues, so I rolled back to V1.5.80. That's when the picture cam back. I'll connect everything up and see if a 1.8 appears.... HOPEFULLY! I hope that works.

V1.8 was released on 10th October 2016.....
2016-12-12
Use props
Sky173
lvl.2
United States

Aardvark Posted at 2016-12-12 13:43
V1.8 was released on 10th October 2016.....

whaa....?? Why wouldn't I have seen it. odd... I'm always fiddling with my P4. Strange I haven't seen it.
2016-12-12
Use props
Sky173
lvl.2
United States

I just booted up DJI GO... here's some irony for you. I noticed the GO app was updated this morning, but noticed that it was the same version 3.1.0.
I thought nothing of it. I saw a firmware was available and low-and-behold... 1.8 showed up. Weird.
2016-12-12
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Sky173 Posted at 2016-12-12 19:13
I just booted up DJI GO... here's some irony for you. I noticed the GO app was updated this morning, but noticed that it was the same version 3.1.0.
I thought nothing of it. I saw a firmware was available and low-and-behold... 1.8 showed up. Weird.

That's what we call Sods law

You could try that but I suspect that you may have already seen the combination that will work best on your current display device.
2016-12-12
Use props
Sky173
lvl.2
United States

Yep, and Sods law continues.. 1.8.0 is the same if not worse. I hope someone else has had this issue and knows how to solve it.
I think I'll swap out the HDMI module and see if that helps.... I'm going to Aruba in a month an MUST take my P4, lol.

In working condition, of course.
2016-12-12
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Sky173 Posted at 2016-12-12 20:05
Yep, and Sods law continues.. 1.8.0 is the same if not worse. I hope someone else has had this issue and knows how to solve it.
I think I'll swap out the HDMI module and see if that helps....  I'm going to Aruba in a month an MUST take my P4, lol.

"I think I'll swap out the HDMI module and see if that helps"

That might make a difference, there have certainly been at last two posts I've read recently where changing out the HDMI has resolved things.
2016-12-12
Use props
Sky173
lvl.2
United States

Thanks Aardvark for all the help. I managed to update everyhing after removing the HDMI module and it's "picture perfect" again. I also noticed todays new GO app vers. 3.1.1 and installed that as well. So who knows what actually fixed the issue, but it appears to be running smooth. I'll try reinstalling the HDMI module. Hopefully, that wont cause the issue again. But this all leads to another question (if you happen to know the answer).

I'm going to Aruba in one month. Of course I'll be taking the bird with me. I was looking at the 'unlock' link to ensure I can fly there, but I see no markers. I'll definately do some research regarding flying there but if there are no markers on the map, does that mean it shouldn't be an issue getting off the ground?

Thanks again for the help!

Maybe someone else here has experience in flying in Aruba. I'd love to know what to expect before even bringing it with me only to find out it wont take off.

2016-12-13
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Sky173 Posted at 2016-12-14 00:17
Thanks Aardvark for all the help. I managed to update everyhing after removing the HDMI module and it's "picture perfect" again. I also noticed todays new GO app vers. 3.1.1 and installed that as well. So who knows what actually fixed the issue, but it appears to be running smooth. I'll try reinstalling the HDMI module. Hopefully, that wont cause the issue again. But this all leads to another question (if you happen to know the answer).

I'm going to Aruba in one month. Of course I'll be taking the bird with me. I was looking at the 'unlock' link to ensure I can fly there, but I see no markers. I'll definately do some research regarding flying there but if there are no markers on the map, does that mean it shouldn't be an issue getting off the ground?

That's interesting, seems to point towards newer firmware/software incompatible with the HDMI module. I believe the map will only show flying zones within your immediate vicinity.
You could have a look at DJIs fly-safe website Here
2016-12-13
Use props
Sky173
lvl.2
United States

Thanks Aardvark. Just found this too. It seems legit although I'll still have some researching to do. Seems like good info for us certified pilots.
https://www.altitudeangel.com/
2016-12-13
Use props
imtheredude
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3777011 ft
United States

Hey Sky173 did you ever get your HDMI board working? I had the same problems as you and I too had to take out the HDMI board to clear it up.
2016-12-15
Use props
imtheredude
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3777011 ft
United States

Does anyone know if DJI is looking into this issue with the HDMI board and Ver 1.8 Firmware?
2016-12-15
Use props
Sky173
lvl.2
United States

imtheredude Posted at 2016-12-15 09:18
Hey Sky173 did you ever get your HDMI board working? I had the same problems as you and I too had to take out the HDMI board to clear it up.

Wow, I thought I was the only one... I still have issues with 1.8 and 1.6 firmware. For a moment it was fine but when I fired it up today, it was not looking good. At first, I thought DJI GO 3.1.1 seemed to clear up some of the issues, but apparently not.

I got aggravated so I just started from scratch, which included:
- removing the HDMI board and reinstalling the original
- Installed all the latest firmware available for the sUAS and controller
- I also installed DJI GO 3.1.1 all at the same time

After doing all that, it worked well for a bit, so I couldn't really tell what actually (sorta) fixed the issue. I went to start it up today and this is the result (See video). It always happens after a minute or two, like once it warms up... weird...

Eventually,  I'd like to put the HDMI board back in but even now with it out, I'm not having much luck. I'll try to roll back the controller firmware to 1.5.80 because I seem to have the most luck with that but unfortunately, I can't fly because of incompatibilities in software. Getting aggravated,... grrrr

{:4_157:}

2016-12-15
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

Sky173 Posted at 2016-12-16 09:54
Wow, I thought I was the only one... I still have issues with 1.8 and 1.6 firmware. For a moment it was fine but when I fired it up today, it was not looking good. At first, I thought DJI GO 3.1.1 seemed to clear up some of the issues, but apparently not.

I got aggravated so I just started from scratch, which included:

The first thing I noticed was that when DJI Go started, you got a warning the the radio channel quality was poor. That will cause the issues you had with the screen every time.
2016-12-15
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Sky173 Posted at 2016-12-14 03:06
Thanks Aardvark. Just found this too. It seems legit although I'll still have some researching to do. Seems like good info for us certified pilots.
https://www.altitudeangel.com/

Altitude Angels is UK only I think, I just loaded the CAA App' which works in hand with that site.
2016-12-15
Use props
Sky173
lvl.2
United States

Geebax Posted at 2016-12-15 18:15
The first thing I noticed was that when DJI Go started, you got a warning the the radio channel quality was poor. That will cause the issues you had with the screen every time.

Yea, I saw that, but this occurs when it's 5 feet in front of me... about 1-2 minutes after startup. The antennas are up and no items in the way. I turn off all potential electrical devices that could interfere (computers, routers, phones, etc). That's what's getting me so frustrated.

The weird thing is that I can still fly it, 200 - 300 feet away with no problems with control, only FPV problems. It comes and goes. I had a job nearby which I gave up on because it got so bad... I had to pull it from the air. I couldn't take a chance. Looking at my stats on HealthyDrones.com, I just noticed that this started to occur sometime between the dates of Nov. 13th to Nov. 18th. From that point, it hasn't been the same since. Does anyone know what changes were made during that time period? (See signal strength images). Is there any way to download old DJI GO versions, just for testing purposes?

Thankfully, I'm in the middle of 'farm country' and have 12 acres for testing. I keep it low and slow.
If I install the old controller firmware, I can't do any more testing. It wont fly due to compatibility issues between firmware versions.

Kinda aggravating. So I'm stuck...

Poor connection as of Nov. 18th

Poor connection as of Nov. 18th
2016-12-15
Use props
Sky173
lvl.2
United States

Aardvark Posted at 2016-12-15 19:10
Altitude Angels is UK only I think, I just loaded the CAA App' which works in hand with that site.

Great, thanks again Aardvark
2016-12-15
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

Sky173 Posted at 2016-12-16 12:36
Yea, I saw that, but this occurs when it's 5 feet in front of me... about 1-2 minutes after startup. The antennas are up and no items in the way. I turn off all potential electrical devices that could interfere (computers, routers, phones, etc). That's what's getting me so frustrated.

The weird thing is that I can still fly it, 200 - 300 feet away with no problems with control, only FPV problems. It comes and goes. I had a job nearby which I gave up on because it got so bad... I had to pull it from the air. I couldn't take a chance. Looking at my stats on HealthyDrones.com, I just noticed that this started to occur sometime between the dates of Nov. 13th to Nov. 18th. From that point, it hasn't been the same since. Does anyone know what changes were made during that time period? (See signal strength images). Is there any way to download old DJI GO versions, just for testing purposes?

Don't forget, the Phantom aircraft use different channels for control and FPV, and in some of them, different radio bands, And radio quality is not necessarily signal strength, but also local interference from objects transmitting on the same frequency. There are literally thousands of unregulated devices transmitting on the same radio band that the aircraft use.
2016-12-15
Use props
Sky173
lvl.2
United States

Geebax Posted at 2016-12-15 21:10
Don't forget, the Phantom aircraft use different channels for control and FPV, and in some of them, different radio bands, And radio quality is not necessarily signal strength, but also local interference from objects transmitting on the same frequency. There are literally thousands of unregulated devices transmitting on the same radio band that the aircraft use.

Yea, that's what I'm starting to worry about... ugh, thanks for the help

2016-12-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules