Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Serious IPhone battery drain?
2922 20 2016-12-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
camchute
lvl.1
Flight distance : 985623 ft
United States

My iPhone battery suffers serious battery drain issues while flying the Phantom 4...greater than 40% per 15 minute flight.

Anybody else have this issue?

Specs:

Phantom 4
Aircraft - 01.02.0602
Remote Controller - 1.8.0

iPhone 5s
iOS 10.1.1
DJI Go App - 4.0.0
2016-12-11
Use props
Nigelbrinkmann
First Officer
Flight distance : 586391 ft
Australia

Hi, the iPhone 5 at the beast of times was prone to very quick battery discharge when in use, so when you use it with the P4, the app will drain the battery very fast, due to the apps processing demands.
I use my iPhone 7 sometimes and still have 85% battery left on the phone after 3 full flights.
I also use the ipad mini 4 mostly and that has around the same battery % left as the iPhone after 3 full flights.
2016-12-11
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

iOS devices tend to go through battery the fastest. The DJI Go app requires a lot of processing power from the device.
2016-12-11
Use props
Mike-the-cat
Captain
Flight distance : 21621841 ft
  • >>>
New Zealand

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2016-12-12 08:39
iOS devices tend to go through battery the fastest. The DJI Go app requires a lot of processing power from the device.

Yes, I think this is why in the update of Go 4, video recording during flight has been removed and the App behaves like the first version of the Inspire 1, requiring a post flight bluetooth download of the video to one's smartphone / tablet.

As I stated elsewhere I think users should be given the opportunity to make an informed choice.

***edited Dec 13... my bad - the option is available in General Settings ***
2016-12-11
Use props
camchute
lvl.1
United States

Nigelbrinkmann Posted at 2016-12-11 17:55
Hi, the iPhone 5 at the beast of times was prone to very quick battery discharge when in use, so when you use it with the P4, the app will drain the battery very fast, due to the apps processing demands.
I use my iPhone 7 sometimes and still have 85% battery left on the phone after 3 full flights.
I also use the ipad mini 4 mostly and that has around the same battery % left as the iPhone after 3 full flights.

My wife's iPad Air 2 also showed the same issue.

My last flight:

iOS on her iPad reported 65% battery remaining and after a 3 minute flight I started getting the 20% > 10% > 5% battery warnings from iOS.  I performed an emergency landing and within 30 seconds of landing the aircraft, the iPad went into full hibernation with no battery remaining.

Very uncool.
2016-12-12
Use props
camchute
lvl.1
United States

camchute Posted at 2016-12-12 13:10

My last flight:

Also...the DJI Go App should display remaining power for the connected mobile device in the HUD...not just for the aircraft and controller.
2016-12-12
Use props
Aardvark
Captain
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Mike-the-cat Posted at 2016-12-12 02:41
Yes, I think this is why in the update of Go 4, video recording during flight has been removed and the App behaves like the first version of the Inspire 1, requiring a post flight bluetooth download of the video to one's smartphone / tablet.

As I stated elsewhere I think users should be given the opportunity to make an informed choice.

"Yes, I think this is why in the update of Go 4, video recording during flight has been removed"

Are you saying it doesn't cache the livestream to the device ?

It records OK on my iPad Pro using DJI Go 4.

2016-12-12
Use props
Mike-the-cat
Captain
  • >>>
New Zealand

Aardvark Posted at 2016-12-13 04:38
"Yes, I think this is why in the update of Go 4, video recording during flight has been removed"

Are you saying it doesn't cache the livestream to the device ?

Mine used to cache but no more. Maybe there is an option to turn on I've missed somewhere. It used to cache by default.
2016-12-12
Use props
Aardvark
Captain
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Mike-the-cat Posted at 2016-12-12 22:11
Mine used to cache but no more. Maybe there is an option to turn on I've missed somewhere. It used to cache by default.

There is an option under 'General Settings' menu to 'Cache during video shooting' (you can also set cache size).
2016-12-12
Use props
Mike-the-cat
Captain
  • >>>
New Zealand

Aardvark Posted at 2016-12-13 14:05
There is an option under 'General Settings' menu to 'Cache during video shooting' (you can also set cache size).

Thanks. My cache recording was ON but 1 reached my 2 GB limit and the app will not overwrite old records automatically like it did previously. I enabled the auto cache clear option and streaming recording resumed. I really like the new recorded video display which allows landscape viewing at 720p . Will post this tip on a separate link.
2016-12-12
Use props
Mike-the-cat
Captain
  • >>>
New Zealand

camchute Posted at 2016-12-13 08:10

My last flight:

Something is not right with power consumption on your phone-  please check . The app sips power when not recording video.
2016-12-12
Use props
asimokid
lvl.1

Indonesia

yeah in my 5s i got battery drain like you
so i always use ipad mini 2, from 100% battery i can fly with 3 battery nonstop, and the battery ipad still have 60-70%
2016-12-14
Use props
MBrhythm
lvl.1
Japan

My iPhone went from 86% to 10% with one Flight battery.
Phantom 4
DJI Go 4 app
iPhone 6
Newest updates

One battery flight sucks.
What's the issue?
2016-12-15
Use props
camchute
lvl.1
United States

MBrhythm Posted at 2016-12-15 03:30
My iPhone went from 86% to 10% with one Flight battery.
Phantom 4
DJI Go 4 app

The only thing that helped for me was...

1. iOS settings > privacy > location services > dji go 4 app > disable
2. dpi go 4 app > general settings > enable hardware decoding > disable
3. general settings > map > cache map in the background
4. general settings > video cache > cache during video shooting > disable
5. image transmission settings > custom > 4mbps
6. HUD > gps map > toggle to compass view (optional)

A company called Mophie makes external battery cases for iPhone but I decided against using it because the case injects  power directly through the lightning port but the exterior of the case then converts to a micro usb port.  Not sure if going from the P4 controller to micro usb then to the battery pack converting to lightning to the iPhone would lose data/signal codes to the device.

Otherwise, I'm looking at dropping even more cash to upgrade my mobile device.  Maybe a refurbished iPad mini 2 wifi+cellular...even that starts at about $319 for the 16GB version.

This hobby is getting really expensive, really fast.  :/
2016-12-15
Use props
camchute
lvl.1
United States

asimokid Posted at 2016-12-14 22:23
yeah in my 5s i got battery drain like you
so i always use ipad mini 2, from 100% battery i can fly with 3 battery nonstop, and the battery ipad still have 60-70%

Thanks, i think that confirms my hunch.
2016-12-15
Use props
AnchorageAk
lvl.3
Flight distance : 85505 ft
United States

The I5 has a know battery issue. Apple was replacing the battery on them for free. My wife has one. Check with the Apple Store.
2016-12-15
Use props
fansd81b9295
New
United States

I am getting the same on a Android phone.  Major battery drain and I'm not even using the app.  I've force stopped it.  We will see if that helps.
2016-12-16
Use props
Yeri Tan
lvl.3

United States

Maybe you can delete and reinstall the app first. And if the issue is caused by system glitches, you can use an ios recovery tool to fix the issue without data. Or you have to change your battery.
2021-5-26
Use props
embayweather
Captain
Flight distance : 556667 ft
United Kingdom

Similar problem but with an iPad. Cannot get three full flights out of a fully charged ipad. At the moment I out it down to the cold of winter. Open to other suggestions. I did not have other apps working.
2021-5-27
Use props
ATJ
Captain
Flight distance : 17736 ft
United States

embayweather Posted at 5-27 03:49
Similar problem but with an iPad. Cannot get three full flights out of a fully charged ipad. At the moment I out it down to the cold of winter. Open to other suggestions. I did not have other apps working.

Work Around for P4Pv2 RC Charging Mini 4
2021-6-1
Use props
embayweather
Captain
Flight distance : 556667 ft
United Kingdom

Thank you for that ATJ. Probably beyond my skills nowadays. But I might playa round when I have recovered more from my illness.

2021-6-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules