Utah Elk Hunt
1849 33 2016-12-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans4848d4ba
lvl.3
Flight distance : 5728392 ft
United States

Here is a video I put together of a recent elk hunt I was on with family. It was a great time.

2016-12-11
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Nice. Gotta love the outdoors to the maximum...What do you think of this?
image.jpeg Big boy...

Not mine, but I do bow hunt too. Mathews LD Switchback 28 1/2" draw, with Easton FMJ arrows...

RedHotPoker

2016-12-11
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

It's a neat location, thanks for sharing. Some of the yaw movements could have been a little smoother, but otherwise good job.
2016-12-11
Use props
fans4848d4ba
lvl.3
United States

I have since turned down the yaw response and lengthened the sticks. I hope that helps. I am very heavy handed in that respect.

Nice bull. Anytime you can find yourself in the wild having fun with family, is worth what it takes to get there.
2016-12-11
Use props
Driller35
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1106 ft
Thailand

Very nice, makes me miss elk and moose hunting in Alberta and camping in our usual hunting spots
2016-12-11
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Driller35 Posted at 2016-12-11 20:36
Very nice, makes me miss elk and moose hunting in Alberta and camping in our usual hunting spots

I make my home of central Alberta in the capital city., and often dream of visiting Thailand. ;-)

Yes, we have some of the biggest record game animals, and largest populations, thanks to our hunter training and conservation.

RedHotPoker
2016-12-11
Use props
Driller35
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1106 ft
Thailand

Yes i know RHP, lived in the big city south of you before moving here , hunting up Whitecourt, Valley View areas for moose for many years and elk out in the Brazeau, i sure dont miss winter Cheers
2016-12-11
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Driller35 Posted at 2016-12-11 21:23
Yes i know RHP, lived in the big city south of you before moving here , hunting up Whitecourt, Valley View areas for moose for many years and elk out in the Brazeau, i sure dont miss winter Cheers

Ah, Stampede city, Calgary. I know it well. My deceased father was the Poole Construction forman for the Brazeau Dam.

It's been a distinct pleasure having the wilderness and freedom to hunt big game in Alberta, deer and moose primarily with elk falling into third place. Love the meat, and garment leather too. Back straps are so delicious. Haha.

RedHotPoker
2016-12-11
Use props
Glazzers
lvl.2
Flight distance : 374281 ft
United Kingdom

A Butch of murdering tossers for hunting such beautiful animals
2016-12-12
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Glazzers Posted at 2016-12-12 13:11

Does that mean you disapprove of eating meat ? In many instances , certainly in this country where deer hunting is still very common, the hunting is controlled to keep the deer numbers manageable. There are now no natural predators (At least for the adults). So the populations have to be controlled.

I personally do not hunt (or fish) but am still happy to accept what comes from our farms.
2016-12-12
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

It's good to see you had a great family outing, that is worth a lot. Some nice video work, as said previously a bit erratic on the yaw sometimes. But you have that in hand.
2016-12-12
Use props
PartsGuy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 418346 ft
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2016-12-11 21:55
Ah, Stampede city, Calgary. I know it well. My deceased father was the Poole Construction forman for the Brazeau Dam.

It's been a distinct pleasure having the wilderness and freedom to hunt big game in Alberta, deer and moose primarily with elk falling into third place. Love the meat, and garment leather too. Back straps are so delicious. Haha.

Bacon wrapped backstrap......mmmmm.
2016-12-12
Use props
eliot may
lvl.3
Flight distance : 245367 ft
United States

wow, nice scenery! What was the air temp? Im not sure where I should draw the line re: cold
2016-12-12
Use props
Glazzers
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Aardvark Posted at 2016-12-12 13:38
Does that mean you disapprove of eating meat ? In many instances , certainly in this country where dear hunting is still very common, the hunting is controlled to keep the deer numbers manageable. There are now no natural predators (At least for the adults). So the populations have to be controlled.

I personally do not hunt (or fish) but am still happy to accept what comes from our farms.

Funny how all the hunters always have an excuse....   and funny that  the  hunting for meat always involves posting a show off picture online...  I had a lovely steak earlier on today but I didn`t post a picture of the cow it  came from online..................
2016-12-12
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Glazzers Posted at 2016-12-12 06:11

What an unkind,(idiotic) comment, from someone who has no clue about the reality of nature. Or how we care for it all, every hour of every day. 365x24=Love!!
If you need to be educated, so be it. Let me share a few real facts with you, so that you can atleast be intelligent enough to understand what goes on out there in the fields and streams.
"Carrying capacity". Do you know how that works?  Imagine the land in any given area, can only support a given number of healthy animals, herds in some cases. We as the land managers must cull herd and reduce over populations so that the remaining animals have enough room to roam free, and are able to forage for food, without starving or becoming sick with the diseases than can actually wipe out whole herds. To give birth to only healthy babies. In Alberta, we have one of the worlds most well respected hunter training and conservation programs in all of North America. Our smart and effective programs have already being adopted by other provinces across Canada, and even many of the United States have also learned from our management techniques and following our guideline & brought our teaching and wildlife management into their own systems. It's a fine equation of checks and balances. One of the most beneficial things we do is called A Buck For Wildlife" and with every hunting license and tags or fishing license one dollar is used, whether from sport & trophy fishing or hunting game fees, goes directly towards game and land management. There are thousands of hunters and fisherman, who regardless of age or area of accommodation contribute towards it, as a great example, trading land to farmers. Instead of them plowing up wetlands, whether that be ponds or sleughs which are essential to the wildlife, we trade them acre for acre. They get to farm near, dry 'crown land' , and we get to keep their water resources to benefit those animals and aquatic bird populations which thrive and grow. We have so many geese here now, that the over population had brought about spring  goose hunting. There are also the spring bear hunting here too. It's nothing to do with cruelty or being uncaring, Infact it's actually the complete opposite. We care enough, that our game herds and water fowl populations, fish stocks are extremely well managed. Tags and licenses are numbered and counted by computer as they are sold. We know every ethical Hunter by name, not to mention the effective Turn In A Poacher 1800 number... It works, and unethical hunters get huge fines, or in some cases "gaol" time. Lose their permission to enjoy the wilderness.
Some big game hunts are by draw only, even after paying your high cost fees, your name goes into a barrel & drawn out. Some years you may be fortunate to get your tag, other years, sorry, try again later. There are no reimbursements, you pay your fees and hope to get lucky, much like a game lottery. There are feed programs where large elk herds have thousands of dollars worth of healthy food, air dropped to them from planes so they don't starve, while being out in the freezing winter and deep packed snow trying to scratch out enough minimal food resourse to make it through the long cold bitter winters here in Alberta. Our lakes, rivers and streams are constantly monitored by educated game wardens and  management teams keeping records of fish and wildlife, while the water is tested for parasite, and contamination, in prospect of keeping our water table clean and drinkable by them much loved creatures and livable for the natural fish. Us too Some ponds and resovoir are stocked with hatchlings from fish hatcheries, to help restock the populations, for us the fisherman and the wildlife as well that rely on those reserves for their diet, and our sport requirements. Remember I mentioned carrying capacity? Yes, we build up those systems, so that there are enough to go around for all involved.
Areas of the deep thick forest are humanely burned to protect from naturally occurring forrest fires, which are often caused by lightning strikes, to stop whole land masses from burning out of control. Water bombers are used to help quell those fires when they occur. Where do you think the resources come from, for those planes, fuel and the much needed manpower to help fight the fires that do happen frequently? Certainly some fires are deliberately, criminally set. The recent blaze that killed several people around Dolly Partten's - Dolly Wood theme park is a prime example. That fire was an arson set ablaze by two unthinking teenagers. She is not only donating huge amounts of personal money to the victims who lost everything, but also putting on a benefit concert to help raise much needed funds for the people who are in need. Here in Alberts we also have systems in place where money is raised. Alberta Fish And Game Association, put on lottery draws, to help benefit the much needed programs to help support our wildlife. You know, our deer herds are larger in recent years than ever before.
We even have reintroduced wolves back into areas where the herds are too big for possible humane management. Many animals homes are in the deep forest of which are innacessable to human intervention.  
I could go on and on, about our responsibility and methods of keeping our wildlife and wilderness pristine healthy and available to everyone who wished to hunt, fish, camp or simply enjoy our wonderful scenery through photography.
To sum up, your uneducated comments are rediculous at best and humorous as well. You aren't knowledgable enough to make rude and unkind thoughtless jabber, of that sort. If you were to understand the way nature works, then you would be able to make intelligent suggestions, not gut based knee jerk reaction which aren't based on facts, and not of your fantasy of what you figure reality is.
We take care of our wildlife, to allow us to hunt, fish and enjoy our game, water fowl and migratory birds, ducks & geese.
There are pheasants that are farm bred and released into the wild in southern Alberta, just for those who wish to hunt. But it's not a free for all, you must buy your wildlife certificate, and purchase the licenses and permits which all have that buck for wildlife dollar ear marked to help benefit those critters and creature. We maintain our resources far beyond what you might believe. Please learn the facts and figures before you spout off, untruths and fictional statements. ;-)
People travel to our provinces from all over the tiny spinning globe to hunt and fish here, knowing that our game is very well looked after...
I hope that in the future, if you don't understand something, you will take the time to learn and understand the truth and appreciate the vast benefits provided by our knowledge and compassion of our natural resources. We love these animals so much, that some are hunted for everyone's benefits. They remain healthy and strong because of it and not for our lack of caring.  All of what I said can be documented, proven and well respected, the world over. ;-) yes we give a darn,
Hopefully you can travel out and appreciate the wilds and open spaces of your own local land and sea as well.
Back in the early times, like 1974-1975, the beginning days, Our small group called Alberta Bowhunters & Archers Association, was only a couple of dozen of us, has now grown into a large, well respected organization. Look it up, we have our own forum too. Haha, hey you know, we helped institute the bow hunting institution we appreciate here now.
We have our own bow hunting season, well before gun hunting opens, & can purchase our licenses and tags to allow us our Legal bag limits. Aside from a few protected birds like owls, eagles and hawks, there are plenty of ducks, geese, grouse, pheasant and more that are huntable by bow and arrow. Bow fishing too. Then you have deer, elk, moose, carabou, even bison and wild boar and bear. If you dare, mountain lions, cougars, elusive lynx & bobcats too. Mountain sheep and goats, high in the Rocky Mountains. Come climb the peaks with us. Plenty of small fur bearing animals here. Chuckles
All of which are managed and accounted for. In my home city, is a tv station called Wild TV, dedicated to hunting and fishing. 24 hours a day of gunning, bow hunting, trapping, fishing.
Look up Halford Hide & Leather. Hunting is not only a pastime sport but also a huge growth industry, see Cabella's stores and catalog available online.  The money goes around, for the game we "harvest".
Get it now?? Please toss that unthinking out the window, with some wild bird seed, if you truly care... Toss a bated and barbless hook into the clear, clean managed water. Take your chances. Trout, grayling, even wild salmon... Hehe
If you aren't contributing, then you are only taking away, from it all... Go fishing for truthful information. Before jumping off of the deep end, with your eyes closed...
Shall I help you understand the benefits, further, my loyal & respected, trusted friend?
There are actual books written about the exciting and wonderful adventures attained outdoors. You'll need to get off the comfy couch, with your feet up on the footstool, to have known those times though... Sitting in a treestand freezing your arse, for free meat, after spending thousands of hard earned dollars to be out there, risking your chances, like every other ethical participants do, every year. It sure beats the inoculated, growth hormone infected, inbred Safeway fare.
The chicken and beef we eat aren't even real animals, but genetically, scientifically altered gene pool funky looking, man made fodder. I laugh aloud, while shopping for store boughten grub, and grain,
There is a long and drawn out history of our excistence in modern society. It could be a horror story too, thinking about mad cow disease, poultry poison, and much more that isn't always made public knowledge. You only think you know...
Oil spills in the ocean, the list is lengthy, but who cares more than us, the ones who actually give a SH!T.
But we love you!! Hahaha

RedHotPoker

2016-12-12
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Glazzers Posted at 2016-12-12 18:40
Funny how all the hunters always have an excuse....   and funny that  the  hunting for meat always involves posting a show off picture online...  I had a lovely steak earlier on today but I didn`t post a picture of the cow it  came from online..................

Except I'm no hunter, and that is no excuse but fact.

Do you eat meat ?
2016-12-12
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Glazzers Posted at 2016-12-12 11:40

Hahahaha, good one, store bought beef. Hahahaha

Analyze that meat, for steroids, growth hormones, genetic alterations, anibiotics.
Then feed it to your undeveloped fetus and young immature sensitive to poison children.

Oh but so mmnn mmmnnn good, eh. Tasty pharmaceuticals.
Hand me the salt shaker please? Ketchup, mustard. seconds of relish ok thanks, that was delicious. So nature-really flavorful.
I love the statement,  & "It tastes just like chicken.". Huhuhuhaha huhaha oh my haha

I gotta run, to the toilet. ;-)

RedHotPoker
2016-12-12
Use props
Augustus Brian
lvl.4
Flight distance : 397592 ft
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2016-12-12 13:44
What an unkind,(idiotic) comment, from someone who has no clue about the reality of nature. Or how we care for it all, every hour of every day. 365x24=Love!!
If you need to be educated, so be it. Let me share a few real facts with you, so that you can atleast be intelligent enough to understand what goes on out there in the fields and streams.
"Carrying capacity". Do you know how that works?  Imagine the land in any given area, can only support a given number of healthy animals, herds in some cases. We as the land managers must cull herd and reduce over populations so that the remaining animals have enough room to roam free, and are able to forage for food, without starving or becoming sick with the diseases than can actually wipe out whole herds. To give birth to only healthy babies. In Alberta, we have one of the worlds most well respected hunter training and conservation programs in all of North America. Our smart and effective programs have already being adopted by other provinces across Canada, and even many of the United States have also learned from our management techniques and following our guideline & brought our teaching and wildlife management into their own systems. It's a fine equation of checks and balances. One of the most beneficial things we do is called A Buck For Wildlife" and with every hunting license and tags or fishing license one dollar is used, whether from sport & trophy fishing or hunting game fees, goes directly towards game and land management. There are thousands of hunters and fisherman, who regardless of age or area of accommodation contribute towards it, as a great example, trading land to farmers. Instead of them plowing up wetlands, whether that be ponds or sleughs which are essential to the wildlife, we trade them acre for acre. They get to farm near, dry 'crown land' , and we get to keep their water resources to benefit those animals and aquatic bird populations which thrive and grow. We have so many geese here now, that the over population had brought about spring  goose hunting. There are also the spring bear hunting here too. It's nothing to do with cruelty or being uncaring, Infact it's actually the complete opposite. We care enough, that our game herds and water fowl populations, fish stocks are extremely well managed. Tags and licenses are numbered and counted by computer as they are sold. We know every ethical Hunter by name, not to mention the effective Turn In A Poacher 1800 number... It works, and unethical hunters get huge fines, or in some cases "gaol" time. Lose their permission to enjoy the wilderness.

Mr. Poker:

You have my lifelong respect. Education is key, and you have the tutorial way. Diplomatically.

Keep Smiling,

Augustus
2016-12-12
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

fa3knenama Posted at 2016-12-12 12:18
I knew someone would chime right in with something like this.  I'm not a huge fan of trophy hunting but 99% of what gets hunted where I live (Colorado) ends up on the dinner table.  I myself prefer to fish and see nothing wrong with murdering a few innocent trout and then grilling them over the camp fire.  Truly, camping near a lake in Colorado in the summer and grilling trout at night is an amazing experience.  

I'll be sure to post some drone footage of trout murdering for you in the summer ;)

Fresh lake or stream side, Pan fried trout, with a "little" salt free butter. On an open fire!! Oh my gosh...

You have me drooling, like Pavlov's hounds... Haha

I had to go dust off my several rods and reels... ;-)

Thanks for the awesome rekindled memories, and my future goals... Ice fishing is so near...

RedHotPoker
2016-12-12
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Augustus Brian Posted at 2016-12-12 12:24
Mr. Poker:

You have my lifelong respect. Education is key, and you have the tutorial way. Diplomatically.

Well well well, I only wanted to share some concerns, my thoughts on the true reality and try to educate anyone who may take the time to read my praise for our provincial example.

If it takes a few paragraphs to explain them, so be it.

There is plenty more, where that came from, but suffice it to say, we care. A lot. ;-)
I've gotten those similar negative comments before, and gladly took the time to enunciate my feelings.
I recal a beautiful young gal at the counter of a convenience store, who when taking notice of my Bowhunter magazine purchase made an off the cuff glaring statement saying, "You don't kill animals do you?"
By the time I was done explaining the truths and reality of it all, including the buck for wildlife program, she told me she was going to buy herself a fishing licence, just to contribute that important single dollar... ;-)

Yes, education is the key...

Thanks for the kind comments and sentiments. It means a lot to me, but even more to our wilderness & wilds.

RedHotPoker
2016-12-12
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

fa3knenama Posted at 2016-12-12 12:44
It's a rough life man ;)   

Maybe I better not mention firing of a couple hundred rounds before dinner ;)

Nice stringer, there bro.  You must have had a wonderful feed... ;-)

But where are the price tags and all? Hahaha

What a back drop, just beautiful. Pristine.Thanks.

RedHotPoker
2016-12-12
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

What a tease... Haha

Makes me long for a trip to my deceased parents birth place, home of my family. Canmore Alberta.
The Three Sisters mountain Range
Not far from Calgary, Only thirteen miles outside Banff National Park...

RedHotPoker
2016-12-12
Use props
Jcostello
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1861490 ft

United Kingdom

Thats strange do you normally have a picture of the cows you eat.................a very noble gesture of not posting the picture of the animal you just ate.....how very kind and thoughful of you
2016-12-12
Use props
Jcostello
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1861490 ft

United Kingdom

unless .........you keep the photos for yourself.............to look at in the privacy of your bedroom mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
2016-12-12
Use props
Matt-and-Riley
lvl.4
Flight distance : 324442 ft
United Kingdom

Nice video, not sure I could have killed it, unless I was really hungry. But I guess I'm just lucky to live in a place where all the killing is hidden behind corporate logos. Anyone for a Findus lasagne, or some fresh free range elk?

Q. What does Elk taste like?
A. A bit like bear

Q. What does bear taste like?
A. A bit like moose

Q. What does moose taste like?
A. A bit like antelope

2016-12-12
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

We can all agree to disagree.

If some folks want to be vegan, it's just all the more meat for us...

For them that complain, Go to a beef meat packers and visit the killing room.

Same for the poultry that you cherish. What the Pluck?

RedhotPoker
2016-12-12
Use props
Glazzers
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Here`s 2 more guys in your drone club
Capture.JPG
2016-12-12
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Do a web search for the Donald (Trump) boys hunting in Africa,

RedHotPoker
2016-12-12
Use props
fans4848d4ba
lvl.3
United States

Wow!  Glazers, that's a beautiful picture of the lion and the hunters. What makes you think they have drones? No one is saying you have to like hunting. In fact it is ok that you hire a hit man (butcher) to do all your killing for you. Nothing wrong with that. The young lady in my video, my daughter, will survive long after you have died in a major emergence. She will in fact likely be feeding you if you are so lucky as to be where she can help. Yep I am dang proud of her. Oh! Maybe  it would be good for you to know that she is a Cambridge scholar, and a band student. And then in her spare time she is a Cheerleader.  

There's  are so many of the same programs here in the states as red was talking about in Canada. When you lose all your leather goods and start eating veggies only, you will have some "standing" here.
2016-12-12
Use props
Trackerputnam
lvl.3
United States

Temp was cold enough the one day the drone would not start. So we put it next to the fire to warm it up. You see some video of it after it got warm enough next to the fire and then took off. Any way the temp was in the single digits ferinheight.
Finally got my name changed.
2016-12-12
Use props
Matt-and-Riley
lvl.4
Flight distance : 324442 ft
United Kingdom

Glazzers Posted at 2016-12-12 13:11

You can't murder an animal. Murder is one human killing another human.
2016-12-13
Use props
AnchorageAk
lvl.2
Flight distance : 85505 ft
United States

Nice. Reminds me I have to put my wife and I in for the permit drawing for moose. Oh, I have helped kill 119 bears where my cabin is. Took us 12 years, it is a lot of work. I have lost count of how many I have shot.
Got a Sako TRG42, and a 82a1 for long shots. Love the P4.
bear4.jpg
2016-12-13
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

AnchorageAk Posted at 2016-12-13 13:43
Nice. Reminds me I have to put my wife and I in for the permit drawing for moose. Oh, I have helped kill 119 bears where my cabin is. Took us 12 years, it is a lot of work. I have lost count of how many I have shot.
Got a Sako TRG42, and a 82a1 for long shots. Love the P4.

The Shootist! Hahaha
Bangbang, your're wounded, and still under fire... ;-)

Keep those hungry bears at bay...  Haha

RedHotPoker
2016-12-13
Use props
Trackerputnam
lvl.3
United States

I am still haunted by the only bear I took a shot at. It was on Prince Of Wales island. I did not account for the howling wind and missed it. I have never taken a bear and wake up about twice a year because of that bear and my miss. Hope to someday correct that problem!
2016-12-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules