P4P vs P4 quick release proppeller mount
2013 18 2016-12-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
jetforce
lvl.3
Denmark

Hi,

does anyone know why DJI change the quick release prop mount design ??

DJI-Phantom-4_.jpg
20161209_090358.jpg
2016-12-13
Use props
Andy Brown
lvl.1
Flight distance : 116060 ft
United Kingdom

Just wondering if i order replacement mounts from the store, which will they be and does it matter?

ta!
2016-12-13
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

I imagine, like many things, they changed it to improve it. This is a good thing.
2016-12-13
Use props
Andy Brown
lvl.1
Flight distance : 116060 ft
United Kingdom

Geebax Posted at 2016-12-13 21:42
I imagine, like many things, they changed it to improve it. This is a good thing.

Oh i agree with that, they are better - just wondering which you get if you order spares - cant quite tell from the store, looks like the new ones arent up yet possibly
2016-12-13
Use props
Punchbuggy
Second Officer
Flight distance : 483166 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Hey, good pick-up! Thanks for the comparison photos too.

Looking at those photos, the new spring is a more logical design. Nothing covering the vents into the motor, and only one point pushing the hub of the prop up to lock it while minimising contact (if I understand the design intent properly).
2016-12-13
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

Yes there have been some changes to the quick release mounts. At this time, the P4P versions of those spare mounts are not available via the DJI Store, unless some dealers got ahold of some. Since this is a new product, proper spare parts will come out for it soon.
2016-12-13
Use props
marctronixx
lvl.4
Flight distance : 210118 ft
  • >>>
United States

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2016-12-13 17:45
Yes there have been some changes to the quick release mounts. At this time, the P4P versions of those spare mounts are not available via the DJI Store, unless some dealers got ahold of some. Since this is a new product, proper spare parts will come out for it soon.

DJ Jamie,

I picked up these from best buy--they are black

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/dji- ... 900.p?skuId=5638900

are you telling me these will not work?
2016-12-13
Use props
jetforce
lvl.3
Denmark

marctronixx Posted at 2016-12-14 08:50
DJ Jamie,

I picked up these from best buy--they are black

I believe that the props are still the same, its only the spring that's different
2016-12-14
Use props
marctronixx
lvl.4
Flight distance : 210118 ft
  • >>>
United States

Thanks because i installed them and they went on with no issues but wanted to get a heads up before i flew this sucker.
2016-12-14
Use props
jetforce
lvl.3
Denmark

marctronixx Posted at 2016-12-14 16:18
Thanks because i installed them and they went on with no issues but wanted to get a heads up before i flew this sucker.

I just checked, props are the same.
2016-12-14
Use props
Punchbuggy
Second Officer
Flight distance : 483166 ft
  • >>>
Australia

jetforce Posted at 2016-12-15 02:41
I just checked, props are the same.

Yup! It's logical - the props need to be pushed up from the motor in order to lock in the plastic mount. The metal armed arrangement does that, but requires contact with the prop in three places underside to keep it locked in. The new spring design achieves the same effect, but pushes the prop up at it's centre only.
In other words, no change required to the prop.

Kudos to DJI to coming up with such a simple and clever alternative. Thanks for the original post Jetforce.
2016-12-14
Use props
jetforce
lvl.3
Denmark

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2016-12-13 14:45

Do you know when the new style will be available, just in case  
2017-1-3
Use props
BeamMeUpScotty
lvl.2
Flight distance : 20446 ft
United States

Wow thanks for pointing that out.  Did you see the other post where three of four upgraded DJI carbon graphite blades flew off in flight.  I wonder if the design changes had anything to do with that.
2017-1-3
Use props
BeamMeUpScotty
lvl.2
Flight distance : 20446 ft
United States

Just a heads-up from somebody with some design experience utilizing springs in other applications.  Springs weaken over time.  Not sure how many on and off cycles this was designed for...but if it ever feels like there is play...it might need some maintenance.
2017-1-3
Use props
bluemarley67
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1242638 ft
United States

when I got my p4p I was surprised to see the design change, at the same time I feel much more comfortable about it! Once again DJI did an awesome job on the updated version of the p4p and p4p+!
2017-1-3
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
United States

jetforce Posted at 2017-1-3 13:42
Do you know when the new style will be available, just in case

Unfortunately, I do not know. It's still a pretty new product, and from my experience it normally takes a little while for these kind of spare parts to come out on the website.
2017-1-4
Use props
jetforce
lvl.3
Denmark

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2017-1-4 09:49
Unfortunately, I do not know. It's still a pretty new product, and from my experience it normally takes a little while for these kind of spare parts to come out on the website.

Ok, thanks
2017-1-4
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
United States

No problem, happy flying!
2017-1-4
Use props
Stinky711
lvl.2
United States

I would be curious to know what effect centrifugal force has on a flat spring with a large diameter like the one in the top photo.  I would think it would want to flatten out therefore making the prop loose.
A lot of factors come into play like RPM'S, how many times the props have been R&R'd  which may weaken these springs. The coil spring wound around the shaft seems like a much better idea.  
2017-1-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules